(0) Link

DeadRaven

Question

Hello!

I'm afraid this might be an re-post of some sort.

But diden't managed to find my own answer by search, checking FAQ/Errata & Clarification, nor reading the rule's manual.

So, a freind of mine tell's me that the Link action:

1: Ends in the Closing Phase

2: You are only able to link 1 model to 1 model (ie, 1 sorrow to pandora, not 3 sorrows to pandora, for example.)

Could i get some clarifications to this?

a "link" that brings me to the right place of clarification XD

Cheers!

Ps: And sorry if this is an re-post. ds

Page 118 of the Rules Manual has part of the break down for the Link action.

More specifically though, it only ends in the Start Closing Phase if the models aren't in base contact at the start of that phase.

Also the description of the link action (on the new model cards like the Guilds Drill Sergeant, not the V2's or Rules Manual) clearly states that you can only link to one model at a time (and also that the model intitiating the action and the model that is targeted are both considered Linked).

I am confident that the new 1.5 edition of the base book will have the correction in it).

Edited by Omenbringer

Look in Rising Powers page 105.

Because Wyrd has learned it is easier to change the rule books vice the cards (and Link has become a much more common ability) the descriptions on the cards are being pared down (Apologies).

Edited by Omenbringer

whoa, so your saying the pandora having multiple sorrows linked is no longer valid? I missed the part about they are both considered linked...

If they are both considered linked does that mean that if the one who has the link ability can move and the "linked to" model can push instead (essentially does linking on someone give both the push ability if the other moves?)..

Pandora, or anyone else can have multiple models linked to it still.

The quote being used above simply reads that a particular model with the link ability cannot be linked to mre than one model at a time.

E.g. A sorrow cannot be linked to pandora and (for sake of argument) a death Marshall at the same time.

Oh ok, I was about to say. The part where they are both considered "linked" seemed a bit vague so I wasn't sure if that was what he was indicating. I knew you couldn't do it to more then one model at a time and that it only went away when one of its requirements for ending happened.

Pandora, or anyone else can have multiple models linked to it still.

The quote being used above simply reads that a particular model with the link ability cannot be linked to mre than one model at a time.

E.g. A sorrow cannot be linked to pandora and (for sake of argument) a death Marshall at the same time.

Look at the new wording for the Link ability that I referenced for the Guild's Drill Sergeant and you'll see the wording change.

(0) Link: This model and target model in base contact with it are Linked. After the model this model is Linked to completes a Walk action or ends its activation, Push this model into base contact with the Linked model. A model can be Linked to only one model at a time.

Since both models are considered linked (the Blue text), Pandora will be unable to link multiple Sorrows like she used to.

This is the most recent version of the linked ability that I could find.

Edited by Omenbringer

Thanks for posting the full wording :). So, no chnge at the moment and we'll have to see if RM1.5 adopts this new form. Currently though, since link is not errata/FAQ and neither are sorrows or pandora for this, then people are playing things correctly by having multiple sorrows linked to her.

Personally, I don't think it would harm pandora overmuch if this change came in, and might appease some detractors.

Harm her? No. But I have a friend who likes to make her into a death bubble with them and it would be interesting to see how that owrks out.

Death bubble simply gets. Little smaller, or effectivly gets duplicated by a doppleganger running around with it's own version and a sorrow.

I won't worry bout a chnge unil it hits print though.

In regards to the number of models that can be linked.

1. No change has been made to the Sorrows card in the Model clarifications page. Therefore the V2 card is still the rules that should be used for that model. I was under the impression that in any case that a card does not agree with the book then the card is to be treated as correct. I would think that if a change to the way the sorrows Link was to take place then that would need to be changed on the card, and therefore a change in this document would be required.

2. In the Rules clarification document for Pushes they use the example of Pandora being linked to three Sorrows.

hrm, the wording is weird; because LINKED is bolded like an ability you'd be getting the same ability from multiple sources with the same name; meaning that they don't stack.

But linked is defined nowhere; so you'd be going off of the bolding of the word to infer that it is an ability.

i'll just avoid multiple linked sorrows to Lilith for now until I know for sure.

hrm, the wording is weird; because LINKED is bolded like an ability you'd be getting the same ability from multiple sources with the same name; meaning that they don't stack.

But linked is defined nowhere; so you'd be going off of the bolding of the word to infer that it is an ability.

i'll just avoid multiple linked sorrows to Lilith for now until I know for sure.

Thinking you meant Pandora there..

Like I said Link has become a much more common ability since it first appeared, so the description is being left off the cards (in favor of common ability entries in the Rule Books which are much easier to change).

Though the general rule is that a card trumps the books, it only really applies when the card is newer than the published material, there fore the wording I quoted from Rising Powers does trump the cards (and the Rules Manual both of which were published before Rising Powers).

Love it or hate it, the correct verbage for the Link ability is what appears in the Guild Drill Sergeant entry from Rising Powers, playing it otherwise is wrong. So Pandora can no longer link multiple sorrows (since the verbage clearly states that both models are Linked and that models may only be Linked to a single model).

I am sure that the new 1.5 book will clearly frame the ability (and am also fairly confident that future card releases will have less and less description to combat the issues that are appearing now).

---------- Post added at 09:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:26 PM ----------

Linked doesn't necessarily need to be defined as it is more like a characteristic or status then an ability.

However we have probably reached the point were an actual Rules Marshal is going to have to come weigh in...

I believe that is identical to the RM wording. Link is a tricky subject. It has went through lots of iterations a lot of them before I was on the scene.

The best thing I can really do is say this is how it's meant to be played, and add a section to the Clarifications page going though a few examples. Which I will try to make sure we do on the next pass at the FAQ/Errata.

Ratty, it is not he same as the wording in the Rules Manual thus the debate on the subject. Dont really care one way or the other but am hoping that the new 1.5 edition of the base book will clear up a lot of this confusion of reading thru several differnt sources and trying to determin which was printed most recently.

PS. also figured the change was to tone down the Pandora train tactic that was lamented about around that time.

Edited by Omenbringer

You are right they aren't the same. I was busy with 2 or 3 things when I posted above, so couldn't check.

The RM is the most up to date and correct wording, coming after the printing of Book2. When link was made a common ability. Book 1.5 will have the exact same wording as the RM.