osoi does Guild

osoi

I have my Lady J starter that I use for demoing but I decided I want more and more guild for myself :) I now have a fair bit and need to get paint on them.

So starting up I have alt Lady J

IMG_3755.jpg

IMG_3756.jpg

Next up I will be working on a whole lot of constructs, starting with Ryle and a Guardian

I wasn't really crazy about the alt lady j at first, but the more I see different takes on it, the more I like it. Really nice, and I like the sort of goth look she has. Also, would like to see more close-ups of the guardian when it is finished, as I plan to start painting Hoffman's crew soon and am looking for inspiration (though your skills far surpass mine).

Cheers morella.

I will definately be taking closer up pics etc for you. If you want I can also to more of a step by step for my next construct (probably going to do my two watchers plus hunter next) showing how to get certain effects. I'm a reasonable painter but there are guys out there (and here) with a lot better skills than me, but I will help anyway that I can.

That's some nice paintjob.

It seems that, like you, a fair few people start from a white basecoat instead of black.

Maybe I should take a leaf out of that book and start using white too, Should work a treat on Rasputina and her gang if I get my hands on her :-)

In all these models I have worked over a black undercoat, I prefer working from deep shades, if I want something bright a I work a flat even coat of an intermediate colour over that, you'll see how scratchy the models look to start with, a lot of it is patience and brush control making sure you have even flat basecoats to each element (its the stage I hate doing in painting but its essential)

Ryle and the Guardian are now finished but I only have some crappy phone photos, I'll try and get some better ones up later in the week though

20120715_152104.jpg

20120715_152156.jpg

and with alt Lady J

20120715_152045.jpg

Now I have undercoated Hoffman and the Mechanical Attendant I will take some pics stage by stage and see how we go

20120715_160920.jpg

Nice looking stuff! Especially the metals on Ryle, they've come out lovely.

But what you've done to Hoffmans support mech looks painful!

Cheers, I almost feel guilty about the metals, they were pretty easy to acheive and will be replicating with the attendant and hoffman.

I never paint things before assembly so this is a first for me as there is just so much detail to try and get to with his harness that this was the only way I could do it. Its a good things machines dont have feelings otherwise yes it would be a little sore.

I have better photos of Ryle and the Guardian now so yay!

IMG_3771.jpg

IMG_3772.jpg

IMG_3776.jpg

IMG_3774.jpg

IMG_3775.jpg

IMG_3773.jpg

---------- Post added at 04:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:47 PM ----------

And now for my stage by stage on Hoffman and the Mobile Toolkit as promised

Stage 1: Basecoat

IMG_3770.jpg

I hate this stage of painting but this is where choosing your colour scheme and aplication come in and why I like to use a black undercoat most of the time. Biggest thing is to be patient here and control your brush plus you can always touch up areas now before you start adding detail. Just because I have anice flat even coat of colour though doesnt mean I acheived it in one layer, some of the colours (ie the ochre) have about 4 layers to get an even colour basecoat. I use a mix of P3, Vallejo and GW paints so if you want to know exact colour combos just ask.

Next step is the initial shade

IMG_3778.jpg

IMG_3777.jpg

I used P3 armour wash on the metals and used the GW washes (a mix of colours) and washes of my own concoction at this stage. Generally this is as dark as the model gets for me and details start to come back out in the model after giving it a flat basecoat. Some ares I have concentrated just on putting the wash in the shadows while in others it is a blanket coat over the entire coloured area. The face actually has both methods applied with a blanket wash applied and when that dried I put a bit more around the eyes. With Ryle for example I also sheded in small areas with red and prurple washes for his tormented skin in addition to my blanket general shade wash.

Now I will clarify two things. The Mobile Toolkit has only had the basic metal work done to it. I find metals can be messy so apply their basecoat and first shade before I do anything else with the model if there is a lot of metal, so he needs his ochre basecoat and shade before continuing.

Secondly this is where I feel like I am cheating with the metals, sure I do a bit more than this but to get some really great results very easily all you need to do is give a solid coat of a middling silver metallic and then wash with the P3 armour wash, in this case I used P3 Pig Iron then the armour wash for shading. The armour wash keeps the sheen level of the metallic and is very very forgiving.

I will be painting some more during the week and trying to keep up with updates

These look great! Aka One sec of insanity?

Thats me, I got sick of typing it out the long a few years ago so my newer handles are osoi.

Cheers for the feeback guys, Hoff and the Toolkit got som emore work on them last night so are coming along nicely

More progress on Hoffman and the Toolkit showing each atage of work.

IMG_3779.jpg

and then some more highlights and tidying up. At this stage Hoffman is almost all done just need some detail work while his mechanical attachment is lagging well behind.

IMG_3781.jpg

Any questions just ask.

Hoffman and the Toolkit are now done

IMG_3786.jpg

IMG_3787.jpg

IMG_3785.jpg

and a group shot of what I have done so far

IMG_3788.jpg

Now I am painting a pair of Watchers then I have a Witchling, Hunter, Peacekeeper and a Warden (when I pick one up). Pretty happy with the results so far just cant get distracted yet.

The vivid shade of yellow goes really well with metallics. The bases are very nice too. I think you might have tried to paint Hoffman's vest in a slightly different shade but it's just a detail - the whole crew so far looks really great and I can't wait to see more from you.

I started with and ochre color (either Vallejo Ochre Brown or GW Foundation Tausept Ochre), got that nice and smooth and even then gave it a shading wash of Gryphon Sepia, rewent over most of the area again with the base colour. After that I started blending in Vallejo Desert Yellow and GW Iyanden Darksun for the main yellow colour. the sharper highlights are P3 Menoth White Base.

I'm actually a little annoyed with the individual photos came out, the group photo shows the colours a closer to their true manner.