how much terain do you play with

bashamer

As much as I can fit, as long as it looks like a fair battlefield. Terrain can really be game-changer, not enough you're hurt against ranged; too much without a couple of streets/corridors and then melee dominates. I favor a lot of small terrain (sometimes only 32mm round) and a couple of bigger one.

I would even say that some balances issues with models can be directly associated with how much terrains was on the board, and which type.

I would love to have some premade maps by the designers (with their terrain rule in mind), so that in league/tourneys everyone plays within the same parameter. (Altough been able to select a crew based on the battlefield is also part of the game.)

yeah the rules reccomend one thing, but I was jsut wondering how many people followed it.

At a store grabbing 18 pieces of terrain is a bit of an issue when the place is hopping.... ok that left images of gamers with excessive jiggling going on in my mind... busy. So what you want and what you end up doing is a bit of a spread.

The game really excels when there is more terain as positioning becomes MUCH more important and a speedbump model can actually tie down a few models.

My gaming group normally goes with 10+ pieces, but this are smaller pieces (no more than 6"x6", if that). We have large towers, buildings, and desert terrian with a 12"x12" foot print, but they are afraid to use them. I think it due to the Rasputina phase that went thought the group, but everyone seems to like smaller pieces and lots of them.

yep, that is why I find the problem interesting, some masters / crews behave extremely differnet depending on the amount of terain.

and so far 50% play with under the baseline of 18 (going by the book).

This means that some of the UP/OP discussion are really in the context of differnet Metas and differnet rules due to the volume of terain. The giant hills are indeed a problem, but even 18 large bases thrown onto a table will create natural choke points. Thinking back about out buildings, they are 4"x4" maybe 5"x5" w/o doors, having 6 of those, then some fences, some trees (large bases) and some ruins and you have a table that is pretty damn full.

And yeah, some masters will find it awesome, others will find it a nigthmare. And sometimes it is imposible to even score a single point w/ Tagging Malifaux (unless you bring your own forests)