Aesop

Question

Hello All,

I'm brand new to miniatures. I saw Malifaux at a con and fell in love. One demo game later I bought the Zoraida starting box, a stitch together blister and the voodoo doll. I've played 2 games at this point so I'm still just getting the feel for everything. If these questions have very obvious answers, please forgive me.

Zoraida has a bunch of cool abilities, particularly when she's within 1" of her voodoo doll. From reading the pullmyfinger wiki, I get certain impressions of what is possible but my opponent (a seasoned mini vet) doesn't necessarily agree. So here goes and thanks in advance for the help...

1) Voodoo Doll Magical Extension: When flipping for spells using the magical extension during the Voodoo Doll's activation, do you get the benefits of Zoraida being close to the doll? ie. Does she get the +1 casting flip? Or because the voodoo doll is really the model being activated, does that not apply?

2) Conduit: Zoraida gets a +1 to casting and damage flips when close to the doll, right? Looking at the damage flip, does that only apply when she's using her voodoo pins? That's the only thing I see on her card that causes damage. I'm hoping/wondering if it applies in, say, the following example. She casts obey on the enemy model she is conduit'd to (+1 to casting flip) the enemy model is successfully obeyed, the enemy model casts a 1 spell (+1 to casting flip), it is successful, you check the damage (+1 to damage flip). Or this example, Zoraida obeys an enemy model she is conduit'd to (+1 to casting flip), the model is obey'd to charge (no flip effect), the model is successful and resolves damage (+1 to damage flip).

3) Bayou Two-Card: When can you use this ability? Is it strictly during Zoraida's activiation? Is it during any model in her crews activation? Could you use it during the voodoo doll magical extension? Could you use it during the obey'd enemy models action?

4) Stitched Together Gamble Your Life: Can the damage flip on this always be cheated? I thought if the duel totals were 1-5 in difference from each other it would get a -1 flip and thus, not be cheat-able. Does the text on there "the damage flip my be cheated" mean that you can disregard that?

5) Obeying friendly models: I've seen it mentioned in a few places that obeying friendly models is easy because you can just choose to lose the wp duel. When you are saying this, do you mean that when you're in a duel you can always just flip a card and then opt to fail anyway? Or are you saying, you can flip a card and then cheat it down to something that loses?

Ok...I'm sure I have more but those are the ones I thought of/argued about during my 2nd game last night.

Love this game, thanks again for the help guys.

9 answers to this question

Welcome to this side of the Breach!! I'll try to answer some of your doubts:

1-- no, the Vodoo Doll doesnt get any benefit From Zoraida, it only get to cast on of her (1) Spells, and can use a Soulstone on it.

2-- she gets one + on casting and Spell Damage Flips versus the model you chose as the target of Conduit when you summoned your Vodoo Doll, but only against that model.

3-- only for Zoraida's Flips, although it can be out of her activation (when she has to resist at effect, p.e.). Avatar Zoraida allows you to use it on another model of your Crew instead of n Zoraida if you want, once per turn.

4-- it is cheatable as a regular Damage Flip, that is, if there are no - modifiers.

5-- you can just tie the resist Duel, thus failing to resist it, but you have to Flip anyway. There is no need to Cheat it down.

Hope it helped.

I'm kinda new to the game too and was intrigued by the answer to number 5.

What do you mean by tieing the ressist duel?

Can i just say its a tie even if i flip for both and the result of the obey target is higher than Zoraida's?

What i thought happened was this:

Zoraida casts obey on her own Silurid... flip for zoraida then flip for silurid, Silurid result is higher than Zoraida's so i have to cheat the silurid's result down or Zoraida's result up.

If the Silurid is Friendly to Zoraida, then if the starting resist value of the Silurid is higher than the Casting Total, then you can just announce that you tie the resist total, and so the spell is not resisted. There is no need to Cheat it. But only on Friendly models.

Note: It's only with spells. though. You flip to cast, if you hit the CC it's cast, the target makes a Resist Flip, if it get's higher than the Casting Value a friendly model can choose to tie.

Sometimes you may want to still cheat the targets value down. EG if you fire Decay at one of your Punk Zombies, you could automatically choose to tie, but then the damage flip is :-fate:-fate which means you are likely to flip a weak. You could choose not to tie and cheat low so it's a straight flip so you could cheat in a Severe on the Damage for all those nice :blasts