Pandora + Fading Memories Clarification Requested

Skunkdog

Question

Hello all,

Fairly new to game and had a question about Pandora Fading Memory

So here is what her V2 card says

Fading Memories: Whenever this model wins a Wp Duel, Push this model 4" in any direction

So here is how I see it

1. Pandora casts Project Emotions which is a Wp resist spell (assume successful)

2. Pandora has won a Simple Casting Duel with a total of X

3. Now the model that was being targeted makes a Simple Resist Duel against X (assume failure)

So all simple duels involve only the model and a number. Pandora does not have any connection to the simple resist duel, she cannot "win" or "lose" this duel.

Based on the resisting model "winining" or "losing" the simple resist duel, Pandora will get to apply the effect of her spell

Since she does not win anything on the failed resist, she cannot use that duel to invoke her fading memories....

My opponent had a different interpretation and was treating failed Wp spell resists for Pandora's spells as successful Wp duels for Pandora, thus allowing her to gain the push off of all her spells (not legitimate), as well as successful incite/pacify chains (legitimate) and failed Expose Fears check from enemy models (legitimate).

Anyone that can shed some light on the correct interpretation of this situation would be greatly appreciated...

8 answers to this question

When Pandora casts, she wins a CA duel, not a WP duel.

So you are right, she never pushes off a successful spell, only on Incite/Pacify and Expose Fears, and other effects like Dementia, Terrifying, Harmless etc

Mike

---------- Post added at 07:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:04 PM ----------

http://www.wyrd-games.net/showthread.php?32265-Pandora-and-Project-Emotions

now i am confused.

if she casts project emotions on target model, or self loathing, or dementia, or trapped, all are resist duel of WP, if a Crows was in the cost would not all of them be afflicted by mental anguish, and lose one wound due to emotional trauma.

now i am not a big player with words but if they lose a WP duel that means i won a WP duel?

for them to lose i have to win. or vice versa. or is that to simple of thinking?

no here is where i am treading water. if they are afflicted by mental anguish which says they lose a WP Resist duel it falls back. ET just says WP duel in general.

the only way i can think of it is that them losing a WP duel is not necessarily me winning one.

also if i hit three models with project emotions do all three lose one wound due to ET or just the target model.

now if all of them take the damage would they all be affected by mental anguish. or just the target?

Best way I can clarify it is that Pandora is not using her WP to win that duel, She is using her cast. The only time Pandora get to push the 4" is when she uses her own WP in the duel. For instance if she casts Incite its her WP vs the opponents WP. If Levi targets her with Entropic Transformation (which is Rst:WP) and she resists she will also get the push because she won the duel using her WP stat. If she casts project emotions she is actually using her CA in the duel not her WP thus she did not win a WP duel.

also if i hit three models with project emotions do all three lose one wound due to ET or just the target model.
Emotional Trauma does not effect the guys under the blast. The reason is that the guys under the blast do not make a resist flip and thus are not failing a WP duel.

now if all of them take the damage would they all be affected by mental anguish. or just the target?
Model hit by blasts are not affected by triggers Edited by Twisted Metal

Best way I can clarify it is that Pandora is not using her WP to win that duel, She is using her cast. The only time Pandora get to push the 4" is when she uses her own WP in the duel. For instance if she casts Incite its her WP vs the opponents WP. If Levi targets her with Entropic Transformation (which is Rst:WP) and she resists she will also get the push because she won the duel using her WP stat. If she casts project emotions she is actually using her CA in the duel not her WP thus she did not win a WP duel.

Not exactly. The duel that the target of the spell takes does not involves Pandora at all.

Casting spells involves 2 separate simple duels. The first is a casting duel that involves Pandora trying to get over the casting requirement of the spell. The second is the target trying to beat the casting total to resist the spell. Pandora is not involved in the resist duel so if the resist fails Pandora hasn't won anything.

Basically exactly as the OP described it.

Actually each model under the Project Emotions template has to make a separate WP resist, and so they can all be damaged by Emotional Trauma. But only the original target is affected by Mental Anguish.

Best way of thinking about Fading Memory is that when casting, Pandora wins a CA duel and the enemy loses a WP. The stats don't have to be the same and each mostly takes a different kind of duel.

Mike