Video Puppet Wars Battle Report - Seamus vs Lady J

Woohooo!

This makes Panda Dog very happy =D

post-3604-13911923565189_thumb.jpg

I like how you keep it close to the action and keep us informed of what's going on (arrows, voiceover, etc). Naturally it'd be nice to have some more in focus shots of the well painted minis but technical restraints are understandable.

Overall congrats on your first attempt and I hope to see more from you two as PW develops =D

Welcome to Puppet Wars!

Thanks for posting! Quick question because every time I play this game I learn more and more... at like 5:34 the judge attacks Bette, misses, moves, and then does mine. Is that legal? Did he have multitasker or am I overlooking something?

Also check out the errata, Frog Legs is labeled as "No Master" now

Edited by Doctor Lucky

Edit: see PandaDirector's post below for the correct ruling.

@Doctor Lucky: unless I missed something about the situation or the rules, I don't think there was anything wrong with what the judge did. The book states you get 2 Moves, 1 Action, and as many different Free Actions as you want per activation, and that they can be done in any order (move-attack-move, atack-move-move, etc). So I think it is okay for Judge to Move once, Action Attack once, Move once, then Free Action Mine the workbench.

Is it possible that you are confusing Malifaux rules with Puppet Wars rules? My girlfriend actually called me on that because I was counting Moves as Actions due to my recent malifaux games. I dont have the book with me, but I'm almost positive a Move is separate from an Action, and you always get 2 Moves and 1 Action, and a Multitasker would get 2 Moves and 2 Actions (so seamus could move twice, cast one spell, then make a Strike/Attack action once)

hope this helps

Edited by PandaBearGuy

Ah yes, thanks Doctor Lucky for pointing that out. I thought I spotted something first time but couldn't find it again.

But yes, Lucky's right, because Mine! is not a free action. A free action has a :fast Mine! is a Standard Action, so every Puppet has it, and a (0) Action, meaning it is automatically successful (no need to flip cards), but it still counts as 1 Action for the purposes of the average 2 Moves, 1 Action allowance. The reason being it prevents a Puppet like Ronin attaching Frog legs (Scrounge has :fast and so is a Free Action), moving 3, Leaping 2 onto a WB and claiming it, which isn't very fair.

Note: It might be redundant, but if Judge had moved into the adjacent space with Bette he would not be able to move again after missing, because she would be Blocking him. If he had torn her apart then he could move (the Blocking Puppet is no longer adjacent), but would still be unable to do Mine!

Hope that helps clear things up, and thanks for posting =D

Edited by ThePandaDirector

Oh crap I completely forgot the blocking rule during that move; it seems like the only time i remember it is when I think I'm doing something particularly clever directly dependent on the rule.

Also curses to the no master frogs leg errata, we're really starting to see its usefulness in avoiding blocking/walls/etc.

Along the same note, Jen and I both didn't rate the malifaux cherub and the nurse at first, but with more games she is really loving the Malifaux-esque Obey-style rule to give her fighty puppets another attack. And bath time is a great spell to counter Lady J's Powerful stack.

Do you guys like the style we used, with a picture after each animation round and voiceover/arrows for explanation? Would it be useful to hear more details about the cards we flipped and whether or not dodges occurred? Is helpful if we point out every time someone pockets a card or burns it to move instead of animating? Were our voiceovers too monotone and scripted? Is our jargon ("pocketing", "burning", "casting", etc.) easy enough to understand or should we stick to book terms?

The editing is a lot of work for Jen but if you guys enjoyed the video we can do another and include any suggestions to make it better.

Edited by PandaBearGuy

Easy way to remember the Blocking Rule is announce whenever your opponent moves adjacent to one of your puppets (easier to keep track of your opponent's movements than your own in that sense).

The Frog legs errata was really designed to stop Viktoria abusing it, but it still has plenty of merits for other puppets.

Agree with Cherub and Nurse (see Hugor's great breakdown here), and it's only been relatively recently that I've noticed their true worth (Convict Gunslinger using Puppet Roulette on the enemy Master is always fun). Nurse also refreshes Puppet's since Exhaust is an effect =]

Concerning style, as a soon-to-be film graduate, I could debate it all day. I will say that it might be worth having a minimal number of locked angles. So divide it into wide shot (everything in shot), mid shot (show the action and surrounding are) and close up (just the action) and have each at consistent angles (top down and tilt down)*.

Then take a photo per full post-activation (so both players have animated once) and use the arrows (which could maybe be thicker) and voiceover (which I thought was clear) to describe what happened. You can then choose when you want to take more photos of an animation if it's complex or climatic, as this allows you to cut down on the workload (we don't really need a photo for each movemen) while not omitting the more action-packed scenes.

One way to make things go smoother is to take quick, crappy photos during game, then recreate the parts you wish to show in the video (so one per full animation, plus extra details) by referencing the quick photos. That allows you to think less about angles and such and more about playing.

*The main thing that is jarring about the video is the way it jump cuts to shots that are the same perspective but have "slightly" moved because the camera shifted or you've digitally zoomed in a bit. I think you could lose the movement (expect beginning, end and climatic moment where you pause to reveal the result of a flip, etc) and just cut between the clean, consistent angles I mentions to avoid it becoming stale.

Hope that helps, there's not nearly enough video content of this stuff (I'm working on it!) and this kind of thing is always appreciated =D

I agree awesome job. I think the edits are fine. Again clearer pictures would be nice. I don't believe you need to show moves (other than my arrows) or card flips unless there was something special. For instance, I had the judge flip the black joker twice in two activations (last flip and first flip of the deck). Of course he had five flips due to attachments, but still, what are the odds?