Rameses's Malifaux Painting Log

Rameses

Probably also worth noting that there's several colour wheels, each with subtly different placement of colours!

I generally use the simple one, which is basically what's in my little icon, but the photographers or, the true one, and there's a couple more if I remember right, are all ok. I just find that at this scale, the simple one gives more definite results.

With that first doxy, you have a pale orange and a dark blue, which is good contrast. Molly's dress trim could be made blue (maye a pale grey blue) to up the contrast there, if you want to chase colour theory a bit.

I'll try to finish the basic colour theory intro article I was writing, and post it in my thread, today. I've just got to write about putting contrasts across areas, models and whole crews...

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@ramsees

Loved the paint job on Molly!

Only comment is that you're way better at painting than me... LOL

I was busy painting my Guild Guards over the weekend but had to stop cuz the office just got way too hot to paint in... it's tough painting small details when sweat beads suddenly block your LOS... LOL

So here's what I have on the painting table at the moment; the Dead Justice box set.

I'm not sure really how I'll expand on the set but I really liked the models and had to get a set when I saw them.

Here's my Lady Justice WIP. I pretty much have her skin where I want it, but I think I'll add another lighter layer to add "something" to her undead pallor.

Mind you this is a WIP so there is bitz and bobbles that have paint where it should or shouldn't be quite yet lol. So if'n you're leaving critique take that into consideration please.

LJWIP1-1.jpg

I am, Rameses!

Well ok I think part of the problem is that the light you are using for the photogrpahy is crap, if your using a pure white background perhaps you should try tweaking the image in photoshop until it is whiter without washing out the image. Or take some photos with a better light.

Also on the subject of secondary colours the dresses of the belles don't have much in the way of distinct sections, thats fine, what you should be looking for as candidates for the secondary colour is things like the flower pins/buttons, the feather boa, the trim on the parasol. That way you are keeping the main colour orange, but you have contrast too.

Edited by pixelante

Well ok I think part of the problem is that the light you are using for the photogrpahy is crap, if your using a pure white background perhaps you should try tweaking the image in photoshop until it is whiter without washing out the image. Or take some photos with a better light.

Also on the subject of secondary colours the dresses of the belles don't have much in the way of distinct sections, thats fine, what you should be looking for as candidates for the secondary colour is things like the flower pins/buttons, the feather boa, the trim on the parasol. That way you are keeping the main colour orange, but you have contrast too.

Thank you for your honest opinion. I am currently researching what I can do with my camera to get better pictures and hopefully I'll be posting better quality photo's.

• 2 weeks later...

No progress updates yet, I completed the trade for my Dead Justice crew for a Kirai crew. Anxiously waiting for the Kirai crew to arrive; I am really excited to start playing her crew.

I also bought a starter box for Pandora that arrived in mail today. I am trying to figure out what do for the bases. I am considering using GS and trying my hand at making base inserts similar to the orphanage inserts. I don't want to use the Wyrd one's not because I don't like them; but because I am officially broke thanks to "summertime shenanigans." :Smug_Puppet1:

Hope everyone har a good 4th of July, I sure did.

Peace Rameses!

Edited by Rameses

• 1 month later...

holy necro... so I haven't been away, I've just been too lazy to take crappy pictures of my crews. I still have yet to have any success taking a decent picture but dangit someday I will.

That being said I finished my Pandora crew and actually had a chance to play a game with her in which I totally pansied out and played way way too timid and never did a thing in that game. The game was a Shared Slaughter no scheme's (no player game) and I was left sitting there thinking, how the hell do I do any damage with this crew...

Well enuff of my stalling... here's my Pandora crew...

Pandora

Pandora.jpg

The obligatory front and back shot of the Doppleganger.

Doppleganger.jpg

To quote Joey Lawrence "Woe!"

Sorrows.jpg

come on, you know you said just like he does.

Candy and Baby Kade

Candy.jpg

BabyKade.jpg

And my Poltergiest (yea, I know I'm getting a puking worm and liking it.)

poltergiest.jpg

So that's my Pandora Legion of Sorrows crew hope you like it. If you did or have any c&c let me know what you think!

I'll be posting pictures of my Kirai Crew as soon as I figure out how to take better pictures.

I am, Rameses!

Edited by Rameses
updated with better picture

Daylight bulbs are very handy, although for best photos you still need a diffuser, and the usual other bits. I actually prefer to take photos in daylight (camera by the window, model further away, so the light hits the whole side that faces the camera) as otherwise you end up icing to rig a full daylight bulb light tent. Which is a faff...

More good works on the painting though!

• 4 weeks later...

It's been a while since I've sat at the painting table. I've been waiting like everyone else for their GenCon orders. Well I received mine last week sometime and I finally got to basing, cleaning and priming my new Neverborn models.

Ok I'll get it out, I didn't like the look of the Dark Debts mini's on the sprue. I didn't even like them assembled and based. It was not until I primed the first mini that I came around. I really like these mini's they look great with some Primer on them. I'm not sure why they looked so bland "nakkid" but I've come around I tell ya. Once primed I was ready to paint.

And here is my Jakob Lynch as a WIP.

JakobLynchWIP1.jpg

I googled Steampunk Men's Clothing and found a great picture... and thought OMG... lol that's my Jakob Lynch.

Thanks for looking.

Its good to see Lynch with some paint on, He does look even better in colour!

I was surprised when I found that the cards falling to the floor were really odd shapes, rather than being proper cards on different angles. Still, a bit of green stuff fixed that.

Nothing wrong with following the box art, it's a pretty awesome picture. Although I think your red waistcoat is better than the art.