Bleached Models - My Ongoing Malifaux Projects [Heavy on Images]

Thanks for the encouraging words!

I wanted to add photos of my third Necropunk, but it seems I forgot to take a picture of the guy when I was at home. I will post that sometime later.

I would like to share another project I am somewhat 'forcing' myself to do on the side. Dark Eldar, from Warhammer 40k. I have about 80 some Dark Eldar models to paint and have been stalled in painting them due to a creative color scheme to my liking. I'd like to share my progress a little bit in this thread.

No worries, I will not post every model I finish, as a lot of them are very similar and not very unique. But I will of different units and some special models as well, just for the hell of it. At the moment I plan to paint one Malifaux model to one 40k. So my Malifaux updates will be a bit slower as you are used too.

Enough talk, here's the guy! I like orange. :D

post-10280-13911926295395_thumb.jpg.jpg]

post-10280-13911926296046_thumb.jpg.jpg]

Here's another Malifaux Update!

The last and finished Necropunk. I kind of dislike this model in general. It is rather boring compared to the other two of the bunch, which were also much more fun to paint.

post-10280-13911926302209_thumb.jpg.jpg]

The next model is my proxy for the Necrotic Machine. My old one is busted so I had to pick up a new model and went for something I personally liked better (sorry Wyrd). I did use his left arm on the new model, since the new one didn't have a syringe of some sort. I don't think you can inject necrotic fluids with a metal fist. lol

This guy was also my first attempt to paint fluids in a glass. I went for that musty yellowish brown glass (aged and old) with a nice orange fluid. I have to say I am pretty pleased with how it turned out. It could have surely been better. But that is when practice comes in. Haha.

post-10280-13911926302938_thumb.jpg.jpg]

post-10280-13911926303582_thumb.jpg.jpg]

Now some words to my current project. I will not be posting images of these folks, until they are all finished. A total of five models and an entirely different crew from what I usually play.

This is going to be a 'prime' demo crew to show off to new players. Everything screams Wyrd in it. Wyrd minis, Wyrd green translucent bases and Wyrd base inserts.

Once these five folks are finished I will continue with my Rezzer line.

I still have to paint 1 Nurse, 1 Miss Demeanor, 3 Samurai Punk Zombies and 2 Night Terrors for my Seamus crew. After that I will pick up some more models for my Nicodem crew. So lots more to come!

Man I love how everything is looking however would strongly recommend fabing up a light box for picture taking sooner rather than later (or at least using a matte white or black background vice your hand, foamcore works well). I have some pointers on mini photography on my blog that might help.

Man I love how everything is looking however would strongly recommend fabing up a light box for picture taking sooner rather than later (or at least using a matte white or black background vice your hand, foamcore works well). I have some pointers on mini photography on my blog that might help.

Thanks!

I actually am going to use some stuff we have here at work to retake all the photographs of my miniatures. Lamps, white background and a professional camera. Might take a week or so. Wondering if I should just replace the old with the new photos or post them en masse. I did plan on taking a few 'family' photos and group shots of clam shells.

Just at the moment those are the only photos I can take with my camera. I don't even have good lighting.

I think you'd be surprised how much improvement you can get out of just adding a nuetral background. I've used solid color micro fiber blankets, foamcore, card stock, card board, vellum paper and manilla folders in the past (before I fabbed up the light box).

Oh I am sure it makes a whole lot of difference. I really look forward to using the tools we have at work. Finally some decent images. Though, I actually think it will display the sloppiness of my models more. Haha.

THey are only painted to look good on a tabletop. Thus the bright and popping colors. ^^

Well I kind of had a block when painting my Ortega crew. I don't know if it's because I am not too satisfied with the color scheme or if it is because I'd actually rather be painting more Seamus mobs. Anyway, I kind of dumped painting for almost a week and am now going to just continue with my regular schedule.

Here's a WIP on my Punk Zombies.

post-10280-13911926325282_thumb.jpg

I'd also appreciate some ideas or tips on how I could paint my Night Terrors while somehow utilizing my spirit color scheme. Kind of blocked on that as well. lol

Very nice work on the skin, looks unhealthy and rotten - perfect for this one. Night Terrors - might be tricky to give them a bleached look to go with the rest of your models while still maintaining a dark image. Maybe you could do something to their fur to tie them to the rest of your crew?

Very nice work on the skin, looks unhealthy and rotten - perfect for this one. Night Terrors - might be tricky to give them a bleached look to go with the rest of your models while still maintaining a dark image. Maybe you could do something to their fur to tie them to the rest of your crew?

Thanks! I really, really like this model for some reason. I don't know if its the peeled off face or just his general attitude. I like the un-slouching type of undead, that really looks intimidating.

I have been thinking about this: Fur in dark browns that have orange tips. And of course the orange glowing eyes to fit my other spirits. And maybe the fangs/teeth.

The rest in a few grey tones as used with the others. Maybe darker based, like I did on my Gravespirit. What do you think?

Where did you get your bases?

I purchase bases from many different firms. If you ask for which ones specifically I can tell you. :D

I love the Zombie! He looks so great the way he is, with those white pants and cool boots. Ever thought of keeping the white colour for his garments? John Travolta Disco style!

I actually almost finished him yesterday. His pants are orange and his wristbands are grey. So I got my color scheme covered. His shirt and boots are a very light grey washed in a thinned muddy brown. This will be highlighted to a near white to look like old apparel and clothing. :)

I have been thinking about this: Fur in dark browns that have orange tips. And of course the orange glowing eyes to fit my other spirits. And maybe the fangs/teeth.

The rest in a few grey tones as used with the others. Maybe darker based, like I did on my Gravespirit. What do you think?

Sounds good to me!

Haha thanks guys!

I have a rather unundead (or more living) model coming up later today. Her skin turned out okay-ish. I did take photos to potentially write up a short thread on how I paint living skin. But I am still rusty with those skills, seeing as I haven't really painted lots of living flesh the past year (Seamus, Copycat and Desperate Merc). lol

So let's see what I did today: I stripped my Dead Justice crew and Miss Demeanor off of their bases to strip them of their paint. I did this because I didn't really do a good job 'cleaning' up some of the models when I purchased them ages ago. Additionally the DJ crew has been primed twice, in black and white and I found it kind of ruined some of the detail. So this weekend I will be fixing them up and in the mean time work on some other models I have lined up to be finished (aSeamus, 2 Punks and 2 NTs).

post-10280-13911926400801_thumb.jpg

The next model I did finish is my nurse. I do not really need her that much for my Seamus crew, but she did draw the lucky number when I literally rolled a dice to choose which model to paint next. lol

I am still kind of edgy on the whole 'real' skin business. Painting the undead and their easy to paint skin for so long has kind of deminished my skills in this field. I guess the best way to practice is to do.

I am not 100% satisfied with the skin outcome, especially in the face range, but I am content with it enough that it will look great on the tabletop, which is my overall goal when painting minis.

I kind of dislike the models lips. Duckface style, ftl. I did go for the whole bimboesque look and painted them a bright red and added two little reflective dots to add a kind of glossy look to them. I do highly doubt this lady is a 'real' nurse. If you get my point. ;D

post-10280-1391192640124_thumb.jpg

post-10280-13911926401947_thumb.jpg

P.S. Got any base suggestions for my Dead Justice crew? Something cool and fitting that I might not have already. Cheers~

Great paintjob on the nurse. While at some places the highlights on her skin could be a tad smoother, she does look very nice

Thanks. ^^

Mind telling me where? So I can keep an eye out more specifically when I have the next babe to paint. lol

I did do some stark highlights with the last two flesh tones. Mostly because I got impatient. I usually do not spend that much time on a model, so I try to shorten up some steps and skip a few. The skin there is actually already 7 layers of paint, 8 if you count the primer. lol

Miss Pack is such a fun model to paint up. The base is amazing, stratch built or purchased?

Oh and definately looking forward to the Dead Perdita (?) crew.

She was pretty fun. The base is the same kind I used on Seamus and his Belles. PK Pro Cobblestone base.

An undead Perdita crew would surely be pretty cool, but I just don't have the sculpting/conversion skills to do something like that. Actually the Ortegas were meant to be used as my second crew for demos. I wanted to paint them up quickly, so I can finally apply for Henchmanship, lol.

I decided to just wait until I get my Yan Lo box and use those guys as my second starter to apply with. I could probably use the Dead Justice crew I have as well (as Guild), but you can't really pick that box up in the store. lol

I will eventually get to painting the Ortegas. I did get stuck on Francesco. I might just have to strip him and repaint him some bit until I actually like the way he looks.