Glue problems

BreachBarfer

Hi Guys,

This is the noobiest question of the day I'm sure, but I'm having glue issues. What glues do you use to construct you miniatures? I'm really new to the hobby - having had my first crew painted/constructed for me.

I've been trying to use super glue but a single wobble of the miniature and the bond is knackered. Is there a special glue I should use - or am I missing a trick here/

Thanks for any help folks :)

B'Barfer

I use plain ol' Zap-a-Gap, available in most game and hobby stores that I've been to. I never pin, just score the faces to be joined with a file, apply a drop or a dab to one, press and hold for a minute longer than I feel like I have to, and usually good to go. Not perfect, and sometimes I glue myself to myself, but it works well enough for my admittedly amateurish purposes.

Thanks guys, all really helpful. The loctite super glue I'm using is probably right, I think the real problem here is my clumsy oafish hands not holding the joins steady enough while they bond. Admittedly, the one I've been struggling with is Ramos' right arm, which is particularly fiddly. Thanks all for your help, I'll definitely be checking some of these out!

B'Barfer

Also, make sure to go light on the glue... too much and it will just never bond.

Source: So much experience and so much glue.

you are right. some theory (that I picked up at the Uni) follows:

think of your blob of glue as a series of layers when pressed between two metal (or other) parts. The strongest bond will be if there is only one layer of glue so the same layer holds both parts together. If you place a thick blob of glue - your one metal part will adhere to a layer of glue that will adhere to another layer that in turn will adhere to another and another (depending on the ammount of glue used) and the last layer will adhere to your other part of the mini. so your bond can break at any of those layers if you accidentally clip your model.

so with glue - more is less!

you are right. some theory (that I picked up at the Uni) follows:

think of your blob of glue as a series of layers when pressed between two metal (or other) parts. The strongest bond will be if there is only one layer of glue so the same layer holds both parts together. If you place a thick blob of glue - your one metal part will adhere to a layer of glue that will adhere to another layer that in turn will adhere to another and another (depending on the ammount of glue used) and the last layer will adhere to your other part of the mini. so your bond can break at any of those layers if you accidentally clip your model.

so with glue - more is less!

Agreed.

If you do put too much glue on the best thing to do is let it dry with the pieces apart and then scrape the glue off and clean the faces before trying again..

Get a spool of fine wire. 28 gauge or there abouts. Make an applicator for superglue as follows:

Cut about 2 inches of wire

Fold the piece in half. Cut the "two ends" off flush together if needed.

Glue will travel up the nearly invisible gap between the two wire legs by capillary action and will flow to a small point on the figure by the same manner. Accelerator can be applied the same way, but different applicators will be needed. If necessary use a bit of tape to "flag" one applicator to keep the accelerator and glue applicators separate. (dipping the accelerator applicator in a bottle of superglue will cause the entire bottle to cure. Not instantly, but inevitably.

Applicators almost never survive between sessions.

you should also google "how to pin a miniature" you tube has tons of great videos, but what you do is drill a small hole in the mini with a small pin vise aka a small hand drill and use a paper clip or brass rod to strengthen the joint

+1

Yep got to agree with wyrdpainting, always pin where possible, especialy if you are having trouble with glue bonding.