Getting Raspi without the box

RevYolution

Essence of Power is a definite must buy. It's a huge help to make 'tina's spells hit really really hard.

I can't really speak about the Snow Storm or Ice Golem, as I don't have any experience with those models. However, I can tell you 2 Silent Ones are totally worth it as they are essentially upgraded versions of the Ice Gamin.

I also like packing at least one Gunsmith. That model is just so versatile its sickening. It's great against many low wound guys, its great against armor, its great in both melee and ranged. Especially armor. Nothing screws me up so fast as armor in a tina crew it seems like, unless I get really lucky on multiple uses the 2 damage (0) action spell. But my luck is never that good.

I have been playing with raspy since beginning of this year. I would not touch the ice golem. For me 9ss cost is a lot for what he brings. plus add him with Snow Storm that 20 points. I love snow storm he is amazing. Me my average crew is:

Raspy

Snow Storm ( IF i have to move somewhere)

Silent one

ice gamin x2

gunsmith 1 or 2

essence of power

Karis

That is what i usually choose from when playing her. I have used the Ice Golem but for 9ss like i said he just under performs for me.

I used to play her, and I think 1 Ice gamin is recommended. The :aura I think is worth it. The bummer is 3 in a blister. As for the ice golem, unless you have Snow storm I find he is just not worth it, With Snowstorm, he's playable. But Snow storm & Ice Golem is a hefty point value.

To start I would think about either going Raspy & Kaeris, avoiding the Ice golem, gamin & Snowstorm. or Vice versa. If you can afford everything ... got for it, but if not focus on one aspect. I would start with either of the following lists.

Raspy BOX

Silent one (one to start)

Snowstorm

Essence of Power

or

Raspy Blister

Kaeris Box

Silent one (one to start)

Essence of power

If needed you can always get the Kaeris Box, and paint 1 of the fire gamin as an ice gamin, and print the V2 card. But I would consider Iggy since I find Kaeris needs more ways of distributing Fire tokens.

Been playing Raspy over a year now. Have always used a traditional crew.. golem and gamin. The gamin especially are far more useful then people think, just got to use way originally meant and not be scared to nuke your own for blast with shatter as cherry on top.

That being said Ive put serious thought into a entirely new setup with Raspy and Kaeris with gunsmiths. Whatever you do a silent one and essence is pretty much auto include. With essence being definate.

A suggested 30ss Cult of December crew

Arcanists Crew - 30 - Scrap

Rasputina -- 8 Cache

Essence of Power [2ss]

Ice Gamin [4ss]

Ice Gamin [4ss]

Silent One [6ss]

Taelor [9ss]

Why Taelor? She's a melee beatstick with Hard to Kill and Hard to Wound 1. She has a magic hammer in case you are facing spirits, and she has an anti-construct trigger. She can also be used to boost Raspi's glacially slow move through the use of Hammerstrike. With Lifer she is immune to Morale Duels caused by Terrifying, and if within 4" of Raspi, gets Frozen Heart automatically. And even with the +1ss cost for hiring out of faction, she still costs the same as the Ice Golem. She's a better deal than the Ice Golem. (Haven't used the Ice Golem since my third game.)

Don't write out the Ice Gamin though. Biting Chill has its uses, and you'll need Frozen Heart models to channel December's Curse through.

A lot of advice here, most of it good, some of it is getting a bit ahead of itself, in my opinion. I think it's best to start with the basics.

I'm more or less with Hamster on this one. I'd start with something like this:

'Tina

Essence of Power

Silent One

Gamin x3

Taelor

EDIT: This is 33 stones as pointed out below. The simplest option is to swap one Gamin for a second Silent One. Another alternative is to add a Desperate Merc as a utility piece. 2 spare stones means the Avatar is an option but in my opinion that's something left for much later.

The Golem is effectively $5.50 when you buy the box set. It's not the best model in-game but the sculpt is great from a hobby/painting standpoint. Proxy it as a Blessed of December if need be (they have the same base size).

Been playing Raspy over a year now. Have always used a traditional crew.. golem and gamin. The gamin especially are far more useful then people think, just got to use way originally meant and not be scared to nuke your own for blast with shatter as cherry on top.

One of the big reasons Ice Gamin are still a viable piece. 'Tina's even more lethal when a player's willing to do this.

Now, all that said, once you get into using 'Tina, then you can look into branching into Snow Storm and Kaeris. If you think you might use Kaeris as a master in her own right, the boxed set is worth it. If not, get K herself and a Gunsmith, perhaps adding a second Gunsmith later.

Edited by Dustcrusher
can't handle addition, apparently...

• 2 weeks later...

Not meaning to ressurect the thread, but I figured it fit in the same lines of the original post and there's no reason to start another one.

Whats the word on the December Acolyte? I'm assuming he's so far shadowed by the Gunsmiths anymore, but does he have any merit in a rasp crew?

My wife is wanting to start a Raspy crew, also without the box. So far she likes the Acolyte, the Hoarcat pride, and the Silent ones.

She's not a real big gamer, but is there any merit to a crew based around those models? Her main crew she's gonna be fighting is my Marcus crew. So its a fluff based list, but I got thinking is this a halfway decent list? and is there any other models that would make it "work"?

Rasp

Wendigo 2pt

Silent one 6pt

Acoylte 6 pt

Hoarcat pride x2 10pt

Ice gamin x2 8pt

7SS

Most of this is good advice on the guy: http://pullmyfinger.wikispaces.com/December+Acolyte

The Acolyte has less direct synergy with Rasputina, but he appears to be a decent piece- From the Shadows sort of makes up for his slow shooting, the drag trigger is nice when it works, his other abilities are pretty decent, and his suit requirements (if I remember right) don't take cards from Rasputina herself. He's just not a dazzler.

As for the Wendigo and Hoarcat Pride, I'm not that keen on them. Since you're playing Marcus, you can control the Pride (it's a Beast) and I think the Wendigo too (I don't have my cards on me- can't remember if it's also a Beast or not). So that would be a pain to deal with every game.

So my advice? Go the counts-as route:

Get the Wendigo, but print out the Essence of Power card from Malifaux.com. That way she can try both and decide which she likes better. Usually the :+fate on Damage flips for 'Tina's spells from the Essence will trump the Wendigo's slight speed advantage and independence (the Essence has to remain in base-to-base to give 'Tina its bonus).

The Hoarcat Pride are cute little furballs, in a demented sort of way, so get 3 extra 30mm bases, mount each cat on a base, and with a good color scheme and/or snow basing flock, you have Ice Gamin kitties :) Who's to say Rasputina hasn't figured out a way to make her December's Touch ability permanent on certain creatures?

If she is willing to go this route, try a list like this:

Rasputina
--
7 Pool

Essence of Power [2ss]

• Gunsmith
    [6ss] (using the December Acolyte model)

• Ice Gamin
    [4ss] (Hoarcat model)

• Ice Gamin
    [4ss] (Hoarcat model)

• Ice Gamin
    [4ss] (Hoarcat model)

• Silent One
    [6ss]

• Silent One
    [6ss]

I am not sure if this is the most uber-awesome-best configuration, but it will do a good job. The Gunsmith can act independently of the rest of the crew, and while it does not have From the Shadows, it can put out more damage. Gamin and Silent Ones provide Ice Mirrors, plus the Silent Ones can heal anything with Frozen Heart.

If she is OK with taking Mercenaries, consider Taelor. Taelor is a wrecking machine, and gives your opponent a nasty melee model to worry about. Giving her December's Touch is just plain awesome:

Rasputina
--
8 Pool

Essence of Power [2ss]

• Ice Gamin
    [4ss]

• Ice Gamin
    [4ss]

• Silent One
    [6ss]

• Silent One
    [6ss]