light / magnifier for painting

schristofersen

What are folks using for lighting and/or magnifying minis while you paint them?

I'm inclinded to just get a clamp on your desk combination magnifier/light that will allow me to do the detail that i'm suddenly inspired to do with painting malifaux that I never was with um... other games.

I do see there is the nifty looking magnifier clamp gizmo on think geek that holds a mini or two and has a magnifier though and was thinking that along with a full spectrum light (clamp on the table or freestanding) would work as well.

Thought I would see what other people find works and if there are significant differences between types/brands first.

I found desk magnifiers a liability for painting, as there's too much chance of you hitting the brush handle on the magnifier, and it throws out your depth perception a bit. For sculpting though, I use one all the time.

I have a daylight ring lamp with a magnifier in the centre, it gives a good light even into crevasses and avoids strange shadows on your painting that aren't really there

What are folks using for lighting and/or magnifying minis while you paint them?

I'm inclinded to just get a clamp on your desk combination magnifier/light that will allow me to do the detail that i'm suddenly inspired to do with painting malifaux that I never was with um... other games.

I do see there is the nifty looking magnifier clamp gizmo on think geek that holds a mini or two and has a magnifier though and was thinking that along with a full spectrum light (clamp on the table or freestanding) would work as well.

Thought I would see what other people find works and if there are significant differences between types/brands first.

do you have the lonk from think geek?

use a 2 lens visor is good a single lens aka imagination lens is bad and your eyes will hate you. if you want the best light go with OttLite Full Spectrum Lighting .

www.ottlite.com/

cheap dual lens visor

http://www.micromark.com/400-clip-on-magnifying-lenses,7882.html

wow, that is cheap... too bad, i wear contacts so I need to gut out an old pair of glasses...

I have two clamp on desk lamps fitted with day-bulbs. I also have a third clamp on lamp with built in magnifier that I inherited from my father in law, but I can't use it. The magnification throws off my depth perception, and I don't really need it to see the details I paint already. Has something to do with my 20/10 vision. (Or better, Doc didn't have a way to test further). Funny thing is I wore glasses in high-school.

is it a single lens? if so it is messing with you because only one eye can focus threw it. glass's or a dual lens visor one lens for each eye will fix this.

I might have to give this a shot, but I doubt I'll do it any time soon as I really don't feel the need for it. Like I said, I can see all the bity details fine without it.