Lady J crew without Death Marshals?

Darkorse

Simple enough question, can it be done?

I'm fairly new to Malifaux, and the Guild attracted me immediately. I love Perdita's guns and Lady J's...what's a plural noun I can use here...eyes? Anyway, in the few games I played, I fould that Perdita (starter box) lacks melee love and Lady J (starter box) lacks ranged love. I really like both Perdita and Lady J, but I really don't like Lady J's starter box.

It's the Death Marshals that don't appeal to me. Maybe I just don't know how to use them right, but even if they were valuable tactically, I don't really like the way they play (or look). Is there a way to run Lady J without the Marshals, maybe with a little ranged love? Maybe take the best of both my favorite crews, Lady J and Perdita (the problem of course being that Perdita is the best part of the Perdita box and I cant roll with two masters :( )?

So what do y'all think?

Edited by Darkorse

That's the beauty of guild: our masters play well with just about any minion in the book. Justice can use witchlings, Ortegas, even constructs, and you'll still have a viable crew. Personally I like to play Justice with a mix of Witchlings and specialty models like the Exorcist or the Guardian or the Austringer. Using Nino and Santiago to give ranged support to Justice is also a solid strategy (Justice can make sure enemy melee stays away from them).

As for Perdita: she can play just as well without the family to back her up. You'll lose the companion activation, but she's nasty on her ow and can support her crew by just eliminating threats and removing effects.

The possibilities are endless. I rarely play the same list twice (unless of course it's a tournament that tells me I have to).

Justice as pointed out will work wonders with most minions... I guess it depends on what plans you have with your crew/ depending on schemes/ strategies/ etc. I prefer to use her alongside a guardsmen heavy crew maybe with one or two other models in there to complete certain missions

Justice as pointed out will work wonders with most minions... I guess it depends on what plans you have with your crew/ depending on schemes/ strategies/ etc. I prefer to use her alongside a guardsmen heavy crew maybe with one or two other models in there to complete certain missions

Good point Stern. I tend to use a lot of Guardsmen with her as well but that's more because I'm taking Lucius.

In my experience if there's any model that Lady J has synergy with it is Lucius.

Agree with Headcase2. Perdita is my favorite to run without her starter models since she really has nothing to be buffed or that she can buff specifically.

Lady J is very similar with one small exception. She is a Death Marshal. So she can benefit from 'Finish the Job'. It might be worth bringing at least one DM. What about Judge? Do you like him / plan to bring him? He is also a DM so bringing a DM or two might really be worth it then.

Personally I find finish the job to be a really situational spell. The Judge and Lady J doesn't really need any help dealing damage. One game I got one Black Joker on Lady J's attack flip, 3 on damage flips, and my opponent a red joker on a damage prevention flip, she still did a decent job of wrecking his crew. You also need to place that aura somewhat close to whatever you want to attack, so unless your opponent charges into melee with you the Death Marshal is probably better of shooting stuff or completing some kind of objective.

Charging Lady J is a bad idea for most models in the game. And most things the Judge would actually need help to kill would probably be able to kill him before he gets to strike back. Of course it could be useful against something that decides to go into melee with your DM's, but that's kinda irrelevant when you don't want to have them in the first place.

You also have to take into account that Lady J and the Judge is faster than the DM's, especially if you have Lucius. So you'll essentially have to spend a lot of time just trying to get that aura in position. Unlike Witchling Stalker whose aura is a (0) Action. And helping her defensively is a lot more useful than offensively IMO.

TL,DR: Finish the job is better for supporting regular DM's than Lady J or the Judge.

Edited by WindlordRyu

I'm in pretty much the same boat here. Most of the time, i run a pretty guild guard heavy crew. with Lucius as well. although, i have been working on a witchling/exorcist type list to help deal wtih spirits and nightmares. also, while i love the judge, i have better luck with the executioner. He has a large target right on his head, but with love the job as long as he kills someone he's right back up to full health... where as the judge himself always seems to end up dead. :/ which sucks because i like him

I am currently trying out a 25SS list of:

Lady J

Gov Proxy

Witchling Handler

and 3 Witchling Stalkers

8 stones

The Proxy is used for casting Combat prowess on as many stalkers as possible. With inspiring swordplay and combat prowess the stalkers are CB 8 melee experts with additional movement and other buffs from the Handler. Only 1 game played with the list so far.

Has anyone tried a similar list?

I'm just pointing out the ability. It's certainly not game-breaking. I personally like to take them for their resilience (for holding objectives) and shooting ability. I like to use a mix of shooting and melee when I play and they fulfill that role for me.

I also don't play with Lucius, so I can afford to spend more points on cheaper minions.

• 2 months later...

If your looking for some fun ranged support for J. Id suggest two models, both are a bit expensive SS and have no real synergy but for blasting a ton of low wound models I occasionally use Ryle and his gatling gun and for punching an opponents master square in the face with lead from a .45 I use Samael Hopkins, that dude doesn't have the longest range but his gun hurts plain and simple, plus he can have some fun with enemy spell casters. Hope this helps