A Moments Silence

Ratty

This day 75 years ago H.P. Lovecraft died. So I thought that a moments silence so we can all hear the Extra-dimensional Horrors scratching at the walls of our reality, might be a nice gesture. I think we have all got Lovecraft to thank for opening our eyes to the utter meaninglessness of human existence in a vast, cold universe full of dread.

lovecraft01.jpg

LOL..

BTW for those who do not know..

I have been a Lovecraft fan for a long time and I certainly hope to see more Lovecraft goodness in Malifaux. I would swear that the Insidious Madness is an homage to the frightful Shoggoths from Lovecraft's twisted world, and as such I painted one of mine (just yesterday in fact) to look like one. I'll post pics later today if I get a chance :-)

I like Lovecraft's work and appreciate what he did for the medium, but honestly I think he is a little over saturated in the gaming community right now. I blame SJGames and Chaosiam but it seems like you can't swing a tentacle without hitting some sort of HPL reference in some RPG, mini game, board game, random silly card game.

The other reason for his popularity is that all the material is in the public domain and I don't think there is an association/trust (like there is for something like Tolkien's work) so its a lot easier for products to use the ideas without having to pay royalties.

Heck you can get the complete works he wrote for free - legally -

cthulhuchick.com/free-complete-lovecraft-ebook-nook-kindle/

So now no one has any excuses not to have read them. (Ps I hope that link still works my router is deciding that its going to limit where I can go on the net for a random spot....)