New Blood - -- starting Arcanists

Overread

So having seen these models dotted around a few retailers and also been reading/chatting/watching youtube vids/etc... I think I'm about ready to commit and at least build a decent force up for a single crew for general appearances and also gaming purposes.

Bonus to the fact that it seems my choice, whilst not the best for a beginner it seems, lets me mix beasts and fire spells (which since Diablo 2 is a favoured option!)

So to that end it seems Marcus is the beast -- er best way forward.

Based on reading around the site and such I've landed on the following rough core for a crew:

Marcus

Jackalope

Kaeris

Myranda

Gunsmith (1 or 2 though?)

That's the rough starting core that seems to be popular in use as well as giving some options for choice. That would suggest a Kaeris box for start up (esp if 2 gunsmiths is suggested) though the fire spirits appear to be more situational in use for a Kaeris crew as opposed to where she is support and considering the box only saves £3 I might pass and just get those that I need for now.

rom there things seem to vary out depending on points costs, style, availability, etc... into the following options:

Raptors (appear popular as a cheap unit either for filling in points or for a more focused larger trio - if situational unit).

Night Terrors (appear to be a bit more of a solid choice over the raptors for a more durable fast unit - again trio appears popular)

Shikome (lone heavy hitter/durable unit for a crew)

Guild Hounds (Keep hearing their mention yet not seen/read that much directly on their use/application)

Waldgeist (medium hitter/unit type it seems - numbers unsure of)

Silurids (trios of these appear very popular, though I'm not that enticed based on appearances*)

Mechanical Rider (another lone harder hitter it seems - also likely to get just because of the model)

It seems the sabretooth and razorspine are somewhat less favoured choices for many, though I'm tempted to get the marcus box just to add these two for some variety of choice in the beast department of the crew.

So there are my early thoughts, I'd appreciate peoples views on these rough assessments and also in popular numbers of models. I know such can be hard to give without a points value/army theme etc... but a general outline would still be of use. In addition suggestions as to other units that I've overlooked/not mentioned would also be very welcome.

*yes yes I know looks are not the best way to win a battle, but .....

Hello!

All models you listed and you like are viable options, don't listen to revelations of the do-this-now never-do-that style. Try to proxy all of them and play a game or two before you decide. But you asked for advice, so my 2 cents are:

For a 25 pts starter I'd buy:

- Marcus

- Jackalope

- pack of 3 Silurids

- pack of 2 Night Terrors

For a solid core of 30-35 pts I'd buy additionally:

- Kaeris

- Student of Conflict

- Gunsmith

- pack of 2 Waldgeists

- probably McTavish

I don't think the starter boxes would be good bets in your case, but that's only my opinion.

Thanks for the inputs all, seems most of my assessments were fairly right, and it seems I can't get around the (ugly ducklings) silurids for their popularity on the table.

Also one question, is there any resource that lists the pack contents specifically? It seems Maliflux likes to use highly decorated bases for model product shots so I'm left a little confused with some as to what actually comes in the box with regard to a model base sections? The shop lists the base size, but I'm unsure which (if any) come with a detailed base or not outside of the flying units (which I assume come with them as part of the model.

Welcome to Malifaux!

Models almost all come with a normal plastic bases. I'm not aware of any Arcanist models that come with a scenic base.

Based on your thoughts on your crew I'd look to go with something like this;

Arcanists Crew - 35 - Scrap

Marcus
--
6 Pool

Jackalope [1ss]

Kaeris
[8ss]

Student of Conflict [4ss]

• Night Terror
    [3ss]

• Night Terror
    [3ss]

• Shikome
    [8ss]

• Gunsmith
    [6ss]

This gives you a lot of speed (key to the game) and a good shot at most objectives.

All IMHO

The models come with basic black bases. If you want fancier you can either buy the malifaux bases, or other brands (just make sure you get the right size). I tend to just base my figures myself but I've also used resin bases from Micro Art Studios and they look nice.

Check thewarstore.com and other outlets.

Thanks for the continued input and also the clarification on the bases that come with the models. A bit of a shame that they confuse a little by using scenic bases on the product shots, though honestly it looks like it will only prove to be a, creative, point on the raptors in getting them flying .

I like the malifaux bases, but i'm more of a do it your self kinda guy. Green stuff, guerila glue, and jb weld are all a necessity for my basing. Take a walk pick up some rocks, twigs, dead grass...you never know what you might find just oustide your house or down by the river (i live in a river town). And the custom bases are cool for out door style modles (marcus, somer, lilith, etc...)

but hey thats just me

i am also a big supporter of mctavish

Thanks for the continued input and also the clarification on the bases that come with the models. A bit of a shame that they confuse a little by using scenic bases on the product shots, though honestly it looks like it will only prove to be a, creative, point on the raptors in getting them flying .

I just started work on the Night Terrors and can confirm that they come with the outcrops they're shown posed on. I don't have any Masters that can take the Raptors, so I've got no reason to buy them, but I'd assume they come with at least the bits needed to hold them up (though you'll most likely have to do the rest yourself).

I just started work on the Night Terrors and can confirm that they come with the outcrops they're shown posed on. I don't have any Masters that can take the Raptors, so I've got no reason to buy them, but I'd assume they come with at least the bits needed to hold them up (though you'll most likely have to do the rest yourself).

They come with the rock outcropping and the stick that make them fly. I'm pretty sure they are not a full base insert.

Word to the wise, silurids win games. My buddy takes all silurids and frequently wins based on speed alone. They may not be the most durable models around, but he typically has schemes done turn 2, turn 3 at the latest and really the silurids aren't too bad in combat.

Ahh thanks for the confirmation on the flying bases.

I'm certainly also giving a look to the Mali bases, the fire one will certainly see some use for Kaeris - as for the others I think the wild beasts can certainly easily fit custom basis with rocks and grit and some glue; though I can see myself using a street scene for the gunsmith!