Need help with Trees

nilus

For Tournaments I would recommend cutting out felt circles for the base of the trees and then mounting trees on bases to sit on top of them.. It's much more practical as you can move them out of the way.. As for trees. The only thing I can think of that is very cheap is to get some sticks and base them. Then get some green scoring pads, use a glue gun to glue them around the Sticks, then trim to shape with a pair of scissors... then dip the top in PVA, then dip in Flock.

Interesting sticks? That would require me to leave my house and enter the outside. I'm scared! :)

As for basing, the plan is we already cut out a bunch of mdf bases of different sizes for our terrain pieces. For the forest we plan to flock then and then mount the trees in a way that they can be removed for when models move through. I am thinking maybe using magnets.

Games Plus has a bunch of generic trees of a few sizes and varieties that I picked up recently. They seem to be made by somebody in the Midwest area, the bags are fancy (ziplock-style bags with paper stapled over the tops). ;) The only issue was keeping them standing which I solved by gluing 3/4" washers to the base to stabilize them. For about $20 I have about two dozen trees I can use now for forest encounters.

If you remind me, I'll take a picture when I get home and I can show you them if that'd help.

Games Plus has a bunch of generic trees of a few sizes and varieties that I picked up recently. They seem to be made by somebody in the Midwest area, the bags are fancy (ziplock-style bags with paper stapled over the tops). ;) The only issue was keeping them standing which I solved by gluing 3/4" washers to the base to stabilize them. For about $20 I have about two dozen trees I can use now for forest encounters..

Thats a good price for 24 trees. I need to go swing by and check them out.

If you remind me, I'll take a picture when I get home and I can show you them if that'd help.

Oooh that'd be awesome if you could. I haven't been to Games Plus for a long time, may need to swing in next time I'm in town if these trees look decent. Area terrain and trees in general are definitely lacking in my terrain repertoire.

Citadel produces some nice, if expensive, trees that fit into malifaux very well.

Yeah expensive is not what I want. If this were for my own personal table I would spring for some nice trees but I need to produce 6 tables worth I want to do it on the cheap end.

---------- Post added at 12:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:50 PM ----------

Please excuse the shameless plug, but I couldn't resist.

Ive made a load of trees on the cheap using model rail road supplies, I've made a how to on my blog: http://newfairbank.blogspot.com/2012/02/how-to-trees.html

Hope this helps

How many trees do you get out of one of those bigs bags, and how does the scale work for Malifaux. I have seen some at model train stores but it seemed like you didn't get many trees or the trees were way to small.

I have been working on something similar for home use to what Ratty mentioned only using green matboard to describe the shape of the forest instead of MDF because it was easier to cut up and I didn't have to paint the shapes although the mdf would be much more durable.

To hold the trees temporarily to the matboard I use sheet metal cut to a slightly smaller but similar shape as the matboard it is glued to and self sticking magnets on the tree bases does the rest of the job.

I bought some pre-made trees from woodland scenics for my prototype but I am planning on building my more permanent and larger trees using gathered twigs hot glued to matboard scraps cut into ovals and leafed using woodland scenics foliage clusters. The cost of 50+ trees should be about $22.00 of the cost of two bags of foliage.

11"x17" matboard: $7.50 (hobby lobby)

magnets: $1.95 (hobby lobby)

foliage: 10.49 per bag (hobby lobby)

sheet metal: $6.95 per 12"x24" sheet (home depot)

I haven't had a chance to play with them yet but they do stay put and are easily moved and stored flat which are all plusses for me.

Later for now.

---------- Post added at 01:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:15 PM ----------

Loxley, I like the use of the 30mm bases on your trees. Seeing how much better that makes them look has convinced me to go that route as well on my permanent trees. Very slick.

@Dan, the kits I have seen in stores have like 50 tree frames and one bag of foliage although the frames are only in the 1-2 inch range and are a little small scale wise for Malifaux models. They look more like shrubberies (ni).

I believe my scale used was HO, usually that gives buildings too small, but for trees it seems perfect. My box had about 20 skeletons for about £5 and the lichen bag for about another 3. And that was just from my local hobby craft, could probably find it cheaper.

Interesting sticks? That would require me to leave my house and enter the outside. I'm scared! :)

As for basing, the plan is we already cut out a bunch of mdf bases of different sizes for our terrain pieces. For the forest we plan to flock then and then mount the trees in a way that they can be removed for when models move through. I am thinking maybe using magnets.

Woodland scenics will sell you "driftwood" for like six bucks. Its broken sticks. In a blister.

Hey Dan, I'm going to Games Plus tonight (though you probably saw that in the mailing list). I'll grab a list of prices for those trees I bought and let you know who makes them.

Scratch that. Only one person's going, so we'll stay home and bumble over relearning the rules against each other. Besides, if it's three, we'll be driving nearly 30 miles just to have only one of us playing and that's silly. We'll plan for next Thursday.

Edited by DeusInnomen
Change of Plan

Hey Dan, I'm going to Games Plus tonight (though you probably saw that in the mailing list). I'll grab a list of prices for those trees I bought and let you know who makes them.

Cool, I will swing by Games Plus soon. Do let me know who makes them since I might be able to abuse my Adepticon powers and convince them to donate some tree in exchange for me telling everyone how awesome they are.

Cool, I will swing by Games Plus soon. Do let me know who makes them since I might be able to abuse my Adepticon powers and convince them to donate some tree in exchange for me telling everyone how awesome they are.

Sounds good. Maybe I'll hit it tomorrow over lunch (payday! woo!) and get that for you, as it's only 5 miles from my office.

A week later, I finally got to Games Plus AND remembered to take the photo.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]4473[/ATTACH]

The maker is Pastimes on the Square, their website is http://pastimesonthesquare.com/ but Games Plus has their stuff in stock, in decent quantities and at great prices. It's directly to the left of the Malifaux blisters.

Cool thanks, I will be there on Sunday so I will stock up then

I know I'm super late (I always am) but I have had a lot of luck finding stuff at Hobby Lobby/Michaels/JoAnne Fabrics. Anything of that nature. I know last time I was in Hobby Lobby they had a whole aisle set aside for scenery... at varying prices. A little cheaper option that I found was in the fake potted plant making aisle. Tons of different options for foliage that worked in the malifaux scale and because it was meant to be the filler for fake potted plants it was cheap.

They also sold sticks there, so you don't have to go too close to nature.