TedPro's Miniatures

Hello folks!

I've only been doing miniatures of any kind for about six months now, but I want to start showing them off.

A bunch of my friends do a Crafts Night together. Some people knit, some make costumes, some do drawings... and I make and paint Malifaux minis. I don't play with unpainted minis as a self-imposed rule, so I am usually frantic to get them painted so that I can bring them into play.

I think I was listening to Garagehammer when they had someone on who was a sculptor. Basically, use whatever will create interesting textures and that is capable of removing the medium from the piece. He said that there are tons of kits you can buy that have sculpting tools, but just normal tools plus things you find laying around will work as well, such as a random knife.

This set here from Colour Shapers and available at Dick Blick (yes thats the real store name) are the ones I use and recommend. Along with the standard metal modeling tools you'll have a pretty good start (though as was recommended above having a few scraps of interesting textures is also a good idea).

Also Reaper makes pewter armatures (like these here) that make scratch building models a lot easier (since you can focus on the bling instead of the body).

Hope it helps.

Dental tools are great for sculpting, also clay shapers and colour shapers (the rubber tipped things, colour ones are softer than clay ones, and really nice for fimo). Also, you can make some from bent, filed and shaped 1-2 mm wire and a pin vice. That's still one of my favourite tools for doing stuff like chainmail.

It really comes down to finding stuff you can see how you'd use, and playing with it. If you find you need something that tool can't provide, get another that does. I typically use three or four different tools, with the rest that I have used for specific unusual purposes.