How much terrain?

super_bruno

Question

Hello! I am wondering what is considered a piece of terrain for Malifaux. The say you should have 3-4 piece of terrain per square foot in the rulebook. But it's not telling me much.

I mean 3-4 large buildings is quite different from 3-4 small rocks.

Thanks!

---------- Post added at 01:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:21 PM ----------

OOps, forget my question. I have just realised it is actually written what size is suitable (3"x3"). I thought they were repeating the board size (3'x3').

Hello! I am wondering what is considered a piece of terrain for Malifaux. The say you should have 3-4 piece of terrain per square foot in the rulebook. But it's not telling me much.

I mean 3-4 large buildings is quite different from 3-4 small rocks.

Thanks!

8 answers to this question

Some of each! Malifaux uses cover rules a lot, and the game balance is seriously thrown if you're playing on open terrain. For each terrain, they suggest a variety of terrain pieces.

Here are the things I usually think about when setting up terrain:

-- every square foot should have at least two good hiding-spots

-- Neverborn players (esp. with Silurid and Waldgeists) will want to add lots of terrain. Be reasonable about this: add some that they need if it makes sense for the setting, but don't feel like you need to make your Large Theatre full of water just so the Silurid can get their way.

-- there should be some high flat spots for snipers, cowards, and swamp hags

-- negotiate a little with the other player, with a goal beforehand of making the game fun and fair. don't put on your win-the-game hat until the terrain is set down, because if the terrain is stacked heavily to one player's advantage, it won't be much fun for either player.

TedPro's advice is good. Makes for more interesting and fairer games.

Also define everything before deployment zones are picked. {e.g. That stepped hill is L2 per step for L6 total at the top and it counts as severe terrain. The sewage is severe terrain, but does not cause damage.}