Cheetors Malifaux Stuff

cheetor

The Ortegas should start showing up here soon with some luck.

And the first Ortega finished is Santiago, pictured below hanging out near a creepy tree that I painted up for the graveyard (I based it so that it could serve duty as a hanging tree).

crrepytree1.jpg?w=468&h=397

The tree is from a great little clix game called Horroclix! One of the most fun clix games I have every played. It was in the starter box. I use some of the models in Malifaux as they are just about the right scale. You can still get the starter box at some sites for less than $5. Great game, too bad it was not brought back with the other dozen or so clix games.

Thanks for the kind words everyone.

The tree is from a great little clix game called Horroclix!

Yep, thats where the tree is from. I painted it up when I was painting up a set of GW woods to include in the cemetery.

I am also so stealing your objectives base idea. :D

Good. Go for it :)

• 1 month later...

I played in my first Malifaux tournament about a week ago and finally felt the whole system start to come together, which was cool and which also got me more enthusiastic about tackling the pile of Malifaux stuff that I have gathered.

I had to paint a couple of figures up within a short timeframe in preparation for the tournament. The Executioner here was first of those figures finished.

guildexecutionerf.jpg

I rushed it a little and there are a couple of bits that I should really go back and tidy up a bit more, but at this stage I doubt that I will. More details about this guy are here, on my blog.

I got an Austringer finished on time for the tournament, but I havent been able to get him photographed yet.

I did however take a quick photo of a game that I played on my new graveyard terrain set last week. Its only a phone photo, but it should give an idea of how the terrain set has worked out.

kaerisvsladyj.jpg

Alright Cheetor (or should i say man of many aliases), I think you need to sort a new camera. I saw those mini's when you faced my Zoraida crew at that recent event and the photos on this post do not do them justice. Having seen them in person i can only say 'Keep up the good work'

Alright Cheetor (or should i say man of many aliases)

Its always "cheetor" on the forums at least. Other places... not so much :)

I think you need to sort a new camera.

Actually I think that its the lights: they are not strong enough so the camera tries to compensate, which in turn does weird things to some highlights. Some stronger lamps are on my (unfeasibly large) shopping list.

I saw those mini's when you faced my Zoraida crew at that recent event

I have said it before but I will reiterate: that was a great game, easily one of my most enjoyable Malifaux games so far :)

and the photos on this post do not do them justice. Having seen them in person i can only say 'Keep up the good work'

Thanks. Im in too deep now, I cant stop. Painting 'til the grave Id say.

I love the terrain!

Thanks. I am looking forward to getting some work done on my Resurrectionists and playing some graverobbing scenarios with that stuff.

The Executioner has a thing for hair metal, doesn't he?

...and...

Is that Cheetah print? Have to agree with DustCrusher, I never pictured the Executioner as a Hair band kinda guy.

Really? I get a big eighties rock vibe from Lady J in particular. Getting a bit Spinal Tap with the Executioner seemed like the next obvious step.

When painting Lady J I had two different songs going around in my head, all because of her big hair and leather look. In fact, the two videos below were an influence on the scheme that I went with.

[youtube

The ladies of Heart look very much like Guild employees to me.

[youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hy_XrSLG4gg&w=420&h=315

Cher has absolutely got her Lady Justice on in that. Which might make Meat the Executioner now that I think about it...

Edited by cheetor

...and not only did this guy win best painted, he rolled in at first place.

Go me :blast

I think he wasn't telling me something.

A little bit of first principles gleaned from a lifetime playing toy soldiers, early pairings with other noobs while I got a little more up to speed and a large dose of luck regarding card flipping all contributed.

We will see how I get on next time...

I should have a photo or two of my austringer up over the next few days.

I've just been going through (not sure how I missed this, I really need to spend more time roaming the showcase) and I'm really impressed. It's good to see something so nicely done that's also so different to the style I usually paint in, makes me think I need to expand my efforts a bit!

The executioners skin is a real masterpiece, you can almost see it wobble. And as lots of people have said, your whites are beautiful. The only thing I was surprised by is that I couldn't see any OSL on the marshal with the open coffin. It doesn't lose anything for not having it, in fact it might have messed up the clean look you have in the crew if it had it.

I'm looking forward to seeing your austringer, I have several to paint myself and always like to see how people paint the birds!

Lovely graveyard board you were playing on!

Thanks. Its nearly finished, I just have to spend an afternoon or so bulking out the number of gravestones. The crypts are the GW Garden of Morr which is a fantastic set that I cant recommend highly enough. Most of the gravestones are from Renedra.

There are more photos of my graveyard here if you are interested.

I've just been going through (not sure how I missed this, I really need to spend more time roaming the showcase) and I'm really impressed. It's good to see something so nicely done that's also so different to the style I usually paint in, makes me think I need to expand my efforts a bit!

Thanks very much. Your work is inspirational, muted in all the right places, understated in a way that my painting never is. I tend to end up going for a cartoony, high contrast result which is fine, but I do envy the control of the overall finish and tone that your work displays.

The style that my figures have has developed from an effort to paint armies to a level that I am satisfied with, while still managing to get a turnover that allows me to make a dent in the lead mountain. To that end I have experimented successfully and unsuccessfully with numerous techniques and have finally ended up with what you see here. Weirdly, the final result is a slightly "tighter" version of the techniques that I used twenty years ago...

The only thing I was surprised by is that I couldn't see any OSL on the marshal with the open coffin. It doesn't lose anything for not having it, in fact it might have messed up the clean look you have in the crew if it had it.

A confession: like weathering vehicles, I have never properly tried OSL. Fear of screwing up a perfectly good paint job has stopped me from trying it. Do you have any pointers or a link to a guide? It is something that I would like to try properly and your comment has made me want to up my game a bit :)

The flame in the Marshals coffin was a fudge. I had recently painted a flaming figure that I was quite pleased with and figured that I could translate the effect to a different palette easily enough. I was wrong, so I settled on what is shown here.

I'm looking forward to seeing your austringer, I have several to paint myself and always like to see how people paint the birds!

I looked up photos of real birds for the austringer and became daunted by the complexity of the patterns. Then I started looking up photos of birds from animated movies and the like. Animators are very experienced in simplifying complex patterns for easy repetition without losing the important details, so I find colour schemes from animation to translate very well to miniatures.

So I copied things like these...

20120523233710!Birds_of_prey.pngBirds_of_prey.png

...rather than beautiful real life things like these...

golden-eagle_1723011c.jpgbird-of-prey.jpg

If you have any pointers or links regarding OSL techniques then I would love to see them. Thanks for the feedback.

post-3314-13911923566213_thumb.jpg

Oh, the first few tries of OSL will definitely go awry, so try it out on some test stuff! And that model is bizarre. Cool, and nicely painted, but so bizarre...

Usually, I do the shadows and highlights with the light source in mind, then glaze in the colour over about twenty ultra thin coats. I'll try to find a good tutorial for it, but the key factor is really really thin layers.

The other way is to mix the midtone with the light colour as you highlight, but I find this a bit trickier. It means having one set of highlight colours for that, and another for the rest of the model.

Good idea with the animated birds too, I'm going to try to copy a Harris hawk on mine which will be a bit tortuous!

And thanks for the compliment, we have very different styles and it's always good to venture into the other every now and then! I quite want to try some more vivid, cartoony stuff - I think the puppet wars new release will be a good time for it!

Edited by Mako

Very sharp stuff. I really like your super-crisp whites on Lady J and Judge, and you did a top-notch job on the GW graveyard. Sharp idea, repainting the Creepy Tree from Horrorclix, too. Wish I still had mine (gave my whole collection away to a friend with kids just the right age to love all the over-the-top horror stuff).

Usually, I do the shadows and highlights with the light source in mind, then glaze in the colour over about twenty ultra thin coats. I'll try to find a good tutorial for it, but the key factor is really really thin layers.

The other way is to mix the midtone with the light colour as you highlight, but I find this a bit trickier. It means having one set of highlight colours for that, and another for the rest of the model.

Multiple glazes sounds more forgiving, if a little more time consuming. I imagine that I will try that technique. Thanks for the tip.

Very sharp stuff. I really like your super-crisp whites on Lady J and Judge, and you did a top-notch job on the GW graveyard.

Thanks. The whites seem to be popular alright. I quite enjoy painting greys and whites so I tend to add those elements to a lot of my colour schemes.

I harp on about how brilliant the GW graveyard is at every opportunity. Its a brilliantly made kit that goes together seamlessly with very little effort and it is a dream to paint. I thoroughly recommend it to any Malifaux players. I documented how I painted the graveyard, if it is of any interest to you.