Cheetors Malifaux Stuff

cheetor

Hi guys

I recently took the plunge into Malifaux and I have finished painting my first crew. I am putting photos of them up on my blog over the next few days, starting with Judge:

judgef.jpg?w=468

I have only played a couple of games of Malifaux so I am still very much in the learning stages. Below are a couple of shots of the games.

gip1.jpg?w=468&h=318

gip4.jpg?w=468&h=337

More pictures and talk about this stuff is on my blog if anyone is interested.

Comments and criticisms all encouraged :)

Thanks for the kind words regarding the painting everyone. I am particularly pleased with how this one came out.

Nice! I found it interesting that you used some warmer tones along with grey in building up your layers. Good depth.

Thanks. I dont use any very complicated techniques and I dont wet blend or anything like that. I tend to avoid mixing complicated colours too: for me its all about getting the figures painted to above a certain standard, ready to game with so that I can tackle some of the other stuff in the lead mountain. I just layer with occasional hasty blurring of edges, if you know what I mean.

The coat was painted GW Astronomican Grey, washed with Devlan Mud (not a very warm colour, but its what brought the little bit of brown into it) and then layered up a handful of times with thinned Astronomican followed by Astronomican/white mixes up to pure white. There were about four layers I think but I cant remember for sure (and I dont have access to my painting notebook right now). It was layered up rather than edge highlighted, if that makes sense.

Very nicely done... also must be said how weird it feels to see a model on a base without the lip, after playing without them for so long

...and...

That Judge is very nicely done! What made you go with the sloped base though? it looks a little bigger than a 25mm base too.

The base change is just a personal taste thing. You are right stinkoman, the base that I used is bigger than the traditional slot base (which is 25mm diameter). The base that I used is 30mm so covers exactly the same area as the Wyrd supplied radius edged base, so it wont cause me any problems regarding susceptibility to blast templates or other in game measurement issues.

There are a few reasons why I changed the base:

Firstly that beveled style matches the vast majority of my miniature collection. As I like to use miniatures from a variety of sources for my games, and mix and match within games it pleases me to have them uniform.

Secondly (and possibly a little controversially) I am not a big fan of bases that incorporate a lot of extra detail and height increases. Lots of people love that sort of thing which is of course fine, but I think that many bases these days are simply too busy and that they detract from the miniature rather than enhance it. I see the bases with the radius-edge as symptomatic of that tendency, so I avoid them. I have taken a pretty minimalist approach with my basing for a few years now.

To confirm though, I appreciate the large amount of work that goes into scenic bases and some of them are works of art in themselves, its just not my thing :)

Very nice, really like the white and warm grey tones.

I do have to agree with you Cheetor re: scenic bases get out of hand over the years. Don't get me wrong I do like scenic bases and have made a few myself, but nothing over the top (that's what dioramas and duels are for; which I love and wish I could do). When the game base is in bigger volume than the model I think (IMO) that it detracts from the actual model [unless it a model hiding like an assassin or sniper or some such.

Looking forward to more.

very well done on the white!! bloody good job in fact!! I find white to be one of the hardest colours to use a lot of! I used to get that chalky effect but just recently ive been using clean water and building layers ! Ive found that keeps it flat and smooth! thinking of trying medium to thin down the paint to see what effect that has!!

but your way looks perfect!!

cracking work!!

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Love your overall choice of color palette, and thanks for sharing.

Choosing a palette was quite tough for these actually. I tend to paint sci-fi figures almost exclusively, so historically I have not used a lot of brown, which is essential for the cowboy look, so I found it harder than I expected to get the browns that I wanted. They were a learning experience: the next time my browns will be a bit better I think.

The main reason that I went with white on Justices basque and gloves was to make her arms distinct from her hair. Lady J is a very "busy" figure. I noticed that with many of the paintjobs that I have seen it is hard to see what is actually going on on the model. I tried to avoid that by making her gloves stand out from her hair, while not adding so many colours to the figure that she looked unconnected with the marshals. I think that it worked pretty well: understated without being drab.

• 1 month later...

Since I finished the Lady J box I have started on the Ortegas. Progress has been slow (no photos yet), mainly because I got distracted doing some terrain stuff.

I made a few objective markers for schemes and strategies, plus I also put together 90% of my planned graveyard terrain. Photos below (various miniatures included for scale purposes).

Graveyard

graveb.jpg

graved.jpg

gravee.jpg

gravea.jpg

gravei.jpg

Plus a dodgy phone photo of the Vikis kicking Lady J around the graveyard during a game.

gravetable3.jpg

Objectives

malifauxobjective31.jpg

malifauxobjective1.jpg

malifauxobjective2.jpg

Its all simple stuff, but its fun to have nice objective markers and the like. The graveyard looks more Hanna-Barbera than Hammer Horror, but thats fine with me really.

More photos and waffle regarding these on my blog (see signature).

More objectives and graveyard stuff to come, but I am hoping to get a few Ortegas finished first.

Comments and criticisms all gratefully accepted.

Saw the graveyard stuff and thought "What malifaux miniature would be Buffy?"

In concept the closest is probably Lady J, with the full on close combat skills and banishment and anti-undead abilities. Visually Lady J isnt quite petite enough obviously. Visually maybe Rusty Alice or something?

The graveyard terrain will be used to play Buffy Games too at a later date, but not with Malifaux rules or miniatures (Hasslefree figures for Buffy & co).

Thanks for the feedback on the terrain and objectives. The Ortegas should start showing up here soon with some luck.