Opening Act: A Newbie's Quest with Collete

Candi

Hey to all my fellow Arcanists out there. I've just started getting into this (looks to be) great game and there's no doubt in my heart that Colette Du Bois is the Master for me (worry not, I've done my research and am picking up the Viks to learn with but once I am comfortable I plan to quickly jump ship and grab season tickets for a box seat at the theater show!).

I wanted a place to deliberate, discuss and record my adventures with Colette and I intend this thread to be that place. To begin with, other than getting the starter box for my main gal, I am looking for advice on models to have 'on hand' for swapping around. Relevant to this, three of my friends are starting the game with me so I have a short list of Masters I am expecting to face off against often (Seamus, Kirai, Rasputina and C. Hoffman are the guaranteed buys amongst them at the moment).

Also, I'm looking for some general tips on getting into playing Colette and subtleties that perhaps through the good graces of your wisdom I can pick up faster than I would through experimentation.

Great Article on Playing Collette

Backstage

Here I will list the models I own as well as those on the short list for purchase

Owned

1x Miss Demeanor

1x Viktorias

1x Bishop

1x Johan

1x Taelor

1x Colette Du Bois

1x Cassandra

2x Mannequin

2x Performer

Short List

Coryphee (2 pack)

Mechanical Doves (3 pack)

Ronin Blister

Von Schill Box

Angelica / Kaeris Box?

Edited by Candi

Hey to all my fellow Arcanists out there. I've just started getting into this (looks to be) great game and there's no doubt in my heart that Colette Du Bois is the Master for me (worry not, I've done my research and am picking up the Viks to learn with but once I am comfortable I plan to quickly jump ship and grab season tickets for a box seat at the theater show!).

I wanted a place to deliberate, discuss and record my adventures with Colette and I intend this thread to be that place. To begin with, other than getting the starter box for my main gal, I am looking for advice on models to have 'on hand' for swapping around. Relevant to this, three of my friends are starting the game with me so I have a short list of Masters I am expecting to face off against often (Seamus, Kirai, Rasputina and C. Hoffman are the guaranteed buys amongst them at the moment).

Also, I'm looking for some general tips on getting into playing Colette and subtleties that perhaps through the good graces of your wisdom I can pick up faster than I would through experimentation.

Backstage

Here I will list the models I own as well as those on the short list for purchase

Owned

1x Miss Demeanor

1x Viktorias

1x Bishop

1x Johan

1x Taelor

Short List

Showgirls box set

Coryphee (2 pack)

Mechanical Doves (3 pack)

Right, convict gunslinger is rated as good by many, particularly as its a book 1 minion. Bishop is, in theory, 7 shades of awesome, yet seems very expensive for what he does. Taelor and Johan can be great melee characters, and Johan is also cheaper for certain Arcanist masters ( I think Colette and Ramos) to hire.

The Viks desparately need SS, but I know an opponent of mine highly rates taking von schill and a freikorps librarian with them for healing (and I believe that as its a spell if you heal one Vik you actually heal both). I own the Viks and intend to run them with the ten thunderers when they come out this month-a good balance between defence and offence....

Von schill is a minion I would always have avalaible to me tho-hes superb. Especially against undead crews. Sue is also an awesome purchase if one of your opponents decides to start playing Zoraida (I recommend you do bud-its SOOOOO much fun!!!!! (My joint-with-colette fav master for sure!)

The models you have for Colette are exactly those I intend to start with (and I believe most Colette players use!)

She is without doubt my favourite master model, and the one I went "I have to do you at some point" when I got into the game. Angelica is coming out this month, so she would also be a good one to have avalaible to hire, but to be honest I would probably rather stick to the regular girls- Colette and Cassandra are usually more than enough for anyone to handle.

I've seen way too many recommendations for Von Schill, he's on the short list :) (Short list is in priority order, since the Viks are for learning and awesomeness and Colette is my intended main I'm prioritizing getting Colette up to full steam first).

Also, Colette is indeed one of the Arcanists who can get the M&SU folks on the cheap :) I was happy to see that, there's a tiny bit of convenient crossover between my starting Masters which is great!

I was also going to field a Viks femme's only squad, but this is the wrong sub form to rant to that end (Ronin + Miss D+ Misaki? + Taelor forming the baseline).

I like Angelica.

I'm also curious, why?

I'm not too impressed. Especially since taking her means bumping up to 40ss or dropping another model that functions perfectly with the crew already. Even at 40ss, I'd be more inclined to take Johan, or a pair of Union Miners.

Here's a great article about Colette. Helped me really understand how she works a lot better than the PMF page alone.

Thanks so much for the plug, and glad you enjoyed the article!

FYI- that article will eventually be moved to our new subdomain http://socalmalifaux.com

But on topic- I love Collette and Viks are also very fun! Great choices and your short list looks great IMO.

As far as Angelica, I know most people are looking at 35+ crews to include her, seeing how she's being regarded more as an "optional" include given certain matchups (and you can count me among these folks until I've had some time to paint her and play her). I don't see her as part of the big 3 (or the 3 C's if you prefer), but I do think she allows for some interesting combos even in the lower ss situations. Anyway we'll have to see.

Worse comes to worse- we still get an amazing looking model out of the deal!

Thanks so much for the plug, and glad you enjoyed the article!

FYI- that article will eventually be moved to our new subdomain http://socalmalifaux.com

But on topic- I love Collette and Viks are also very fun! Great choices and your short list looks great IMO.

As far as Angelica, I know most people are looking at 35+ crews to include her, seeing how she's being regarded more as an "optional" include given certain matchups (and you can count me among these folks until I've had some time to paint her and play her). I don't see her as part of the big 3 (or the 3 C's if you prefer), but I do think she allows for some interesting combos even in the lower ss situations. Anyway we'll have to see.

Worse comes to worse- we still get an amazing looking model out of the deal!

What are your thoughts on Kaeris and Colette? Pull My Finger seems to indicate that there's a strong synergy, but it centers on Disappearing Act tricks and (well having not yet played, and definitely not played enough to know) that doesn't seem a reliable enough maneouver to justify the mixing.

On the other hand, Kaeris gives you field control that can definitely supplement your ability to control your own positioning.

Collette and Kaeris can be a very potent combo.

A couple of strong reasons come to mind: first, like was mentioned, Kaeris' fire pillars are a great drop off point for Disappearing Act, if (and most importantly, when) you don't get mannequin replacement. It also makes the spell quite a bargain if you get Sleight of Hand off.

In general, Kaeris loves her soulstones, so by default, she loves Collette! Kaeris does a few things very well that Collette's crew normally doesn't: she brings reliable range+ AoE, some field LoS control, and of course, the lovely lovely burning tokens. What's a good thing to do against another fast crew? Slow them down and spread damage out at the same time! Kaeris does this very well.

Colette performs well with Kaeris but the biggest problem is that if you take her with the girls your our essentially adding a second duet cost model to the fold. In that the student of conflict costs 4 and special K costs 8 so it essentially is a 12 point model.

The best success I have had with her and colette is in brawl games. Where you take the standard 35 colette and add a student, kaeris, mobile toolkit, and ramos as the other 15 + a couple ss miners if you ever brawl above say 60 points (if and when I do play brawls its because their are 3 people at a lgs and a 4th isn't present and we all have large collections so 1 person picks two crews versus a 30ss or 35ss list of each of their opponents).

Edited by Odin1981

Honestly imho there are really only 2 masters that I feel you actually have to "think" against. They being dreamer and hamelin.

Dreamer of the two is the most rng (random number generator) proc of these matchups due to the fact that both crews have insane mobility. This matchup is basically you keep the duet and cassie within 2" of your board edge so if dreamer wins turn 1 initative he can't shuffle up to one of either the three of those models and kill them before there "defenses are up (southern charm and use ss respectively).

The dreamer vs colette matchup assuming both players know what they are doing just comes down to who wins turn 2 and three initative to start their respective alpha's off to stirke first and bring down models that effect the match up. I am of course ignoring stratedgy and schemes due to both crews being more than capable in their mobility to grab 8 points after you hit them to where they would not have the capability of getting theirs whoever wins initiative on turn two and three.

The hamelin vs colette matchup comes down to this in my experiance. It is another who wins initiative matchup however hamelin doesn't have the mobility of colette. However it mainly comes down to how long the duet player can make hamelin do the catch the duet dance (you need to have him spend around 3-4 turns trying to catch them to make them insig) and mannequin replacing nix at the earliest convienance. In this matchup I have found the most convieniant tactic is replacing cassie with jack daw and following around hamelin putting up the no cheat no ss aura and occasionally range strike killing a stolen with Daw.

The reason why I suggest replacing cassie with Jack Daw is she is base wp weak and hamelin can pipe her and off a trigger make her get "obey'ed" by it and outside of hamelin or nix no one else in most hamelin crews can even damage JD. Also any rats that get near JD run away due to terrifing 13.