Micro-faux?

The rules for a scrap say they range in total ss from 1-55. I don't think I've read any reports or mentions of games smaller than 20, and even that seems rare compared to 25 and up.

Anyone tried out really small games? At the very lowest end of the spectrum it'd just be two masters facing off. But above that (say in the 5-15ss range) I wonder how things might change from the usual simply due to the dearth of ss to buy key models.

It is quickly insane but you can make some quite hideous combinations... also deployment zones are extended to being 12" in... few little changes but it is real fun!

edit - I also never had a game run for time normally the game ended hitting turn 6-8 or everything was done in about 10-12 minutes...

...apart from the tie-breaker to decide the 2011 Champion

Funny, I just played a 20ss game last night. I do think ressers (or essentially any summoning machine) has the advantage here. Henchmen would have a similar benefit or the ss extra they get. If they happen to be in both courts... (shudder).

Fortunately, it was a very even match (all the way through). Kirai vs. McMourning, both summoners, both about as easy to get high ss models on the board, though I will say Kirai's crew choice had a lot more mobility than mine did. It ended in a tie :)

I have played smaller ss games (an achievement tournament we did last year required a 5 ss game to be played). And I find that luck has a more important factor unfortunately. A nice juicy red joker to blast 3 gaki into oblivion hurts in a 35+ ss game. In a 20ss game like that one I played last night, it's downright vicious, as that was the poor guy's entire damage-dealing ability.

A mini mode would be interesting to flesh out, as it's the easiest way to teach rules. Maybe we could call it a Slap (Brawl, Scrap, Slap...kinda)

Granted the game is not hard, but in 35ss, some players find that there are a lot of triggers and spells that require reading and understanding for the first game (in addition to the rule manual stuff)