Organ Donor

gnam

Question

Quick question...

If McMourning does 6 damage to a model with only 2 wounds remaining, how many Wounds does he heal?

I'm under the impression that since he did 6 Dg, he heals 6 Wds, but the question came up locally today and I'd like to get some clarification (and a rules reference if possible)

Thanks and Happy New Years to all!

Damage is damage whether it is written as and abbreviation Dg or spelled out as Damage.

I'm iffy on diving into the general issue, I'd much rather just wait for Kel to clear it up, but this point isn't necessarily the case.

We've established that Rg and range are not interchangeable terms (thanks to the Silent One). I don't see any reason to think that Dg and damage (or Damage) are inherently interchangeable either. It might just be shorthand, or it might be an intentional distinction. Or it might be an accidental distinction that they decide to let mean something :) I can't think of any other places where they use Dg in place of damage in an ability description, but maybe/hopefully someone else has an example.

And not that it matters, but there's been long-running confusion between what's damaged, what's wounds, what's the entire damage process, and what any given thing is referring to when it says "damage". Hopefully they can clear this one up quickly - I've played it as damage inflicted (e.g. 6 healed in the OP's example), and would like to know if I was wrong.

The latest ruling by the marshals on the overly convoluted damage resolution steps was that Dg and damage or damaging are different thing. You hit a model for x Dg, but it only counts as damaged if any of that Dg is applied as Wd.

So according to the latest wordings, you heal back Wd equal to the final, modified damage that you dealt.

Previous to said ruling, I played it as healing back whatever you bit for regardless of how much 'went through', so I'd love to be proved wrong here :)

I saw Ratty give a ruling in another thread regarding Damage vs Dg. Essentially he said that Damage is the process as a whole (from Dg to wounds) while Dg is a value used in the early stages of the process

http://www.wyrd-games.net/showthread.php?29278-Change-to-blight-counters&p=372854&viewfull=1#post372854

Looking at McMourning's card, Organ Donor references Dg and not Damage. I asked Ratty for a clarification in that thread so hopefully we'll get some kind of resolution.

It currently says

"when this model deals Dg with a melee attack, it gains an equal number of Wds.",

it should say

"when this model inflicts Damage with a melee attack, it gains an equal number of Wds."

So he gains back a number of Wounds equal to the number the opponent's model loses.

Eg. You can't cause more Wds than the model has left. McMourning hits a model with 1 Wd left for 3Dg, 3Dg gets converted to Wds, but only 1 Wd is applied. So McMourning only gains back 1Wd.

It currently says

"when this model deals Dg with a melee attack, it gains an equal number of Wds.",

it should say

"when this model inflicts Damage with a melee attack, it gains an equal number of Wds."

So he gains back a number of Wounds equal to the number the opponent's model loses.

Eg. You can't cause more Wds than the model has left. McMourning hits a model with 1 Wd left for 3Dg, 3Dg gets converted to Wds, but only 1 Wd is applied. So McMourning only gains back 1Wd.

Thanks for the clarification, although it makes for a sad Resser :D