A couple questions about Malifaux

Spence

I bought the Rules Manual but it doesn’t actually mention anything that would allow me to make any kind of decision on factions or models.

Before I invest a sizable chunk of change I need to get some kind of idea of what models do what.

The game looks good. But I simply cannot spend $35+ just to preview. Is there a place that actually describes the game and the models, not as fluff, but in terms that you can actually use to decide what you need to buy.

There are a lot of people at my FLGS that have showed interest, but unlike pretty much all the other mini games, we can’t find anything that gives us an idea of a starting point. I mean Warmachine at least has defined starter boxes that you can buy and know you have a balanced force. With Malifaux you just have a very extensive list of figures in multiple factions and nothing to allow you to make an intelligent decision on what does what. I can’t even find anything that defines (game terms) what the different factions do.

So is there a non-fluff directory that of what constitutes a balanced force? How many figures, which figures, etc. What is the difference between the factions (not fluff, but game mechanics-wise).

Basically, I need to have some kind of idea of what I am getting into without spending a large chunk of change blind. I already bought one rule book that doesn’t have enough information to actually play.

You'll find that there isn't really anything that defines each faction, it's more about the various Masters and their individual playstyles. The Pullmyfinger wiki should give you an idea of each master.

You'll have seen the starter boxes. Each of them contains a 25ss crew (more or less) that's ideal for starting each master, usually containing the minions that work closest with that master and making an ideal place to expand from. You're generally going to be using around 6-8 models once you expand to 35ss.

Hope this helps!

Mike

Like Mike mentioned, there are starter sets. If you haven't seen them, here is where they are in the online store:

https://wyrd-games.net/shop/BOX-SETS/

Also like others have said the factions don't have a good way to catagorize them like the one I saw for Warmachine once:

"Khador--->Axe to Face

Cygnar--------------------------------->Bullet to face"

Typically people pick the Master(s) they like. One big difference between Malifaux and other games is that you tend to select your list AFTER you know what the scenario is and what faction your opponent is playing.

So question for you. What games do you currently play and what style (or armies) do you play in them? That will help us better answer the "what should I buy" question. I realize that doesn't help when you are asking for an entire group (such as your LGS crowd) but that is what Pull My Finger is for.

Well generally:

Guild focuses on strong attacks and defense with typically straightforward strategies and few shenanigans.

Resurrectionists tend to favor melee. Masters are tough enough to be able to dip into the battle occasionally, but not strong enough to stay there.

Arcanists tend to go for weaker models that focus on spells and summoning, with Masters that seem to work best when they lead from the rear.

Neverborn focus on trickery and shenanigans.

Outcasts are hodge-podge, although I notice they tend towards more self-destructive strategies.

The Rules Manual is the most update and comprehensive compilation of the games mechanics. The original (and unfortunately out of print atm but Wyrd are totally aware of this) Malifaux: A Character-Driven Skirmish Game contains the stats for the original crews, however their stats have been updated since then. They are available to download on this website, so you can easily find out all about the original crews.

Two supplemental books, Rising Powers and Twisting Fates, continue the narrative story line, introduce new Masters, Henchmen, Minions and mechanics. The last book also introduces the concept of Avatars.

The advice given to check out the wiki is spot on if you're looking for a nice overview of the characters. I'm not sure if that is what you're looking for or not, but if you have any other questions please ask, plenty of people here only too happy to help a new player out. I know because I am one too. :)

Wow, I didn’t expect to see so many responses across the holiday.

http://pullmyfinger.wikispaces.com/

Pay particular attention to the "gathering supplies" page and the "starting master" section of each master page.

Great looking site. It will take me a bit to digest. There are a couple people at the FLGS interested in giving it a shot. This should give us something to guide our first choices.

You'll find that there isn't really anything that defines each faction, it's more about the various Masters and their individual playstyles. The Pullmyfinger wiki should give you an idea of each master.

You'll have seen the starter boxes. Each of them contains a 25ss crew (more or less) that's ideal for starting each master, usually containing the minions that work closest with that master and making an ideal place to expand from. You're generally going to be using around 6-8 models once you expand to 35ss.

Hope this helps!

Mike

It does, help I mean.

I didn’t realize they were actual ‘starter boxes’. I just thought they we some kind of multiple figure ‘set’.

Like Mike mentioned, there are starter sets. If you haven't seen them, here is where they are in the online store:

https://wyrd-games.net/shop/BOX-SETS/

Also like others have said the factions don't have a good way to catagorize them like the one I saw for Warmachine once:

"Khador--->Axe to Face

Cygnar--------------------------------->Bullet to face"

Typically people pick the Master(s) they like. One big difference between Malifaux and other games is that you tend to select your list AFTER you know what the scenario is and what faction your opponent is playing.

So question for you. What games do you currently play and what style (or armies) do you play in them? That will help us better answer the "what should I buy" question. I realize that doesn't help when you are asking for an entire group (such as your LGS crowd) but that is what Pull My Finger is for.

J Actually it does help. We play Warmachine at the shop so the Khador/Cygnar ref is spot on.

For mini’s I am (well was, it has been a dry spell in the US) a Historical gamer leaning toward naval. For land warfare I prefer tactical or skirmish games (no units of 500+ etc, all in the small number range with 1:1 ratio’s). Currently I play Warmachine and am about to begin ACTA:SF and Leviathans (whenever Levs actually ever releases). Other than that it is a lot of RPG. We came across Malifaux and it just looks too cool to pass up, but seems to have very little available to give a succinct explanation or guide of what is what for the average person who does not have anyone nearby to ask.

Well generally:

Guild focuses on strong attacks and defense with typically straightforward strategies and few shenanigans.

Resurrectionists tend to favor melee. Masters are tough enough to be able to dip into the battle occasionally, but not strong enough to stay there.

Arcanists tend to go for weaker models that focus on spells and summoning, with Masters that seem to work best when they lead from the rear.

Neverborn focus on trickery and shenanigans.

Outcasts are hodge-podge, although I notice they tend towards more self-destructive strategies.

Thanks Wolfgsar. While broad these give me a general idea. Much more than I had when I first posted.

The Rules Manual is the most update and comprehensive compilation of the games mechanics. The original (and unfortunately out of print atm but Wyrd are totally aware of this) Malifaux: A Character-Driven Skirmish Game contains the stats for the original crews, however their stats have been updated since then. They are available to download on this website, so you can easily find out all about the original crews.

Two supplemental books, Rising Powers and Twisting Fates, continue the narrative story line, introduce new Masters, Henchmen, Minions and mechanics. The last book also introduces the concept of Avatars.

The advice given to check out the wiki is spot on if you're looking for a nice overview of the characters. I'm not sure if that is what you're looking for or not, but if you have any other questions please ask, plenty of people here only too happy to help a new player out. I know because I am one too.

there are pdfs with stats for almost all first book models. If you need help finding them they're in the downloads section of the main malifaux site.

OK, so the figures include stat cards/sheets? And the updated ones are on the websight. Correct. When you order a figure or box set does it include the stat card/sheet, or do you have to make one youself?

There is no book covering the current ‘base’ units, just the ‘new’ units in the expansions?

Yes, each clamshell includes the card for that unit, and each starter box includes the cards for all the units in it. Just like WarmaHordes. Like WarmaHordes, each box is fairly playable at approximately 25 Soulstones (points). Also, like WarmaHordes, some boxes have models that work better together than the models in other boxes. (Consider the Trollbloods box versus the Cryx box, for instance.)

There are no real 'base units.' Each Master has models that work best for him/her, but they're spread across all three books. You could make a pretty potent crew out of just a Master and minions out of books 2 and 3.

The only ways to pick a master are to read the wiki, find a copy of all three Fluff rulebooks, or go find someone to demo for you (or just buy what looks good to you). The best way will always be to go get a demo, as far as I'm concerned.

Yes, each clamshell includes the card for that unit, and each starter box includes the cards for all the units in it. Just like WarmaHordes. Like WarmaHordes, each box is fairly playable at approximately 25 Soulstones (points). Also, like WarmaHordes, some boxes have models that work better together than the models in other boxes. (Consider the Trollbloods box versus the Cryx box, for instance.)

There are no real 'base units.' Each Master has models that work best for him/her, but they're spread across all three books. You could make a pretty potent crew out of just a Master and minions out of books 2 and 3.

The only ways to pick a master are to read the wiki, find a copy of all three Fluff rulebooks, or go find someone to demo for you (or just buy what looks good to you). The best way will always be to go get a demo, as far as I'm concerned.

That trips the trigger. Knowing about the cards, that is. Now I know I won't be missing a critical piece if I order a model.

I will need to peruse PullMyFinger and then drop an order at my FLGS.

So I've ordered the Lady Justice and the Perdita Ortega boxes. Or to be more accurate the Lady Justice box and the all the figs in the Perditia Ortega box individually.

I think I am leaning toward Guild..... plus I really like the sculpts....

The Ortegas are what sealed the deal for me. I started, very recently with the Ortega box set because of my love of everything spaghetti western and also got the Criid set because, well its Sonnia...

What will keep you in the game is the complexity of the game that you don't see at the surface and a web community that is one of the best...

Eric J

Surprised no one has mentioned the threads by nerdelemental. He's one of the henchman in our area who came from warmachine, and with the help of others (I think?) made up a bunch of noob primers for the game, at least two of which are warmachine geared. They could be useful, but they aren't updated for the book two or three things. They're also loose comparisons, but hopefully they can give a very general idea.

http://wyrd-games.net/forum/showthread.php?t=7657

For faction guides, and

http://wyrd-games.net/forum/showthread.php?t=7934&highlight=warmachine

Is a game mechanics type of thing. That nerdelemental person has a few more threads, and hopefully that helps! Plus if we bug him he'll update and add book two and three masters.