Alternative models for steampunk abominations

Zhivago

...that. I do have the models, but... to be honest, I do not really like how they look. So I am considering prettier (?) proxies. First ones that come to my mind are GW's ghouls, suitably converted. Also, plastic so the conversions shouldn't be too hard.

But I am worried that the GW ghouls are too big when compared to somewhat skim SPA'a. Would anyone happen to be able to tell how they look side to side.

Also, are there any other alternatives you can think of, e.g. from Warmachine range.

Cheers,

Zhivago

Not a big fan of the Wyrd SPAs or the Desolation Engine either. So how those mismatches peices of mechanical components join up together and make the Deso engine?

I'm looking to make a more undead crew so I'm using nekid skeletons painted in Brass and my Desolation engine is (Will be when the models finally get here) a construct built out of them like the Brass Apocalypt or Boneswarm.

I used Brass skeletons in literature years ago so it works for me that Levi would rip the skeleton out of his dead victims.

Personally I think the GW modern ghouls will be too big, they are monstrous and SPA's are a Ht1. Classic ghouls from when ghouls were part of necromancer army instead of vamps are thinner but hard to find

And that's what I thought too :/

Now, the Ht 2 is bit silly, I think, as some of those are as tall as Levi. :irked: Some of them, like the one lacking legs, are shorter of course.

Bronze skeletons sounds wicked, and I will want to see pictures when they are done, but I am not overly fond of the GW skellies at the moment. Mantic seems to make zombies and ghouls, maybe they could work, suitably converted....

Somehow, I would like to see flesh grafted with steel, in a cool way...

GW necron flayed ones would probably work. They look like robots swathed in flesh.

Personally I love the the SPA, and the desolation engine (I understand the complain about it not really looking like a bunch of SPA put together but the model is just so huge and dynamic looking)

Except that the new flayed ones look like... crap. *snap* Now, if I could get my hands on the old ones... I had never thought about them, despite having seen the models. :)

Size might be an issue again, but...

haven't seen the new ones. I've been pretty tenuous on GW for a long time now. Just went and looked at all the new Necron stuff. I agree the new flayed ones look pretty awful but I rather like some of the other new stuff. May have to dust off the small necron force I have at some point here.

FYI at one point I had a mad idea to use Desolation engines as "counts as" proxies for necron pariahs(!). I currently use a Cryx lich asphixious as my necron lord (looks so much better than the normal lord model).

Edited by 011121

I've always been rather fond of the old GW Necromunda pit slaves. The guns would be a concern though... along with the ...rather overdone 'heroic' scaling to them if thats not a look you like.

As an aside, any of the afor mentioned pitslaves special mechanical weapons on a suitably corpsy model would look good. They all have that kind of steam/piston driven kind of look about them.

I really like the SPA's myself, but when I was looking to get a few more than four, I stumbled upon these little beauties:

http://zenitminiatures.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=21_25&products_id=96

and from the same line:

http://zenitminiatures.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=21_25&products_id=68

They're resin and pertty cheap for a pack of three, but they are a fairly styalised option: More like zombies with chunks of metal shoved through 'em (metal or ston depending on the painter)

I think they're perfect,but like I say, that's because they fit the feel of my crew well.

Anyway hope that helps!

Ended going with 'Grafted Harpies' from Dark Age range. I plan to cut of the wings (or just not glue them on) and see what I can do with green stuff. I might even see if I could convert few of those with bits from the unpainted actual SPA's.

Will post a few pictures with Levi before painting, and once they are done. The models should arrive next week or so.

*giddy*