The UK Malifaux League

magicpockets

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re Clapham, thanks for letting me know guys. Be a shame not to have you involved as you'd make some good warm up matches for the better clubs. However I understand you're worried about it being too competitive and the level too high for you and that's fine, not every event is right for everyone.

Anyone order a dose of high 'n' mighty? Loads going spare.

Re the rules, you'll only be able to play for one club in any year and only for a club you're a member of.

The way Leeds Nightowls run their membership, you'd all become members by turning up on a Sunday! So that way we would be able to guarantee to win any home games. :)

Would it be feasible to have a minimum team size of 3, but if both teams agree to fielding 4, 5 or 6 then they can?

I don't know where you are on the rules, but I'd go further than limiting uniques and rares to requiring different members of the team to play different Factions.

Edited by Serigala

The way Leeds Nightowls run their membership, you'd all become members by turning up on a Sunday! So that way we would be able to guarantee to win any home games. :)

Would it be feasible to have a minimum team size of 3, but if both teams agree to fielding 4, 5 or 6 then they can?

I don't know where you are on the rules, but I'd go further than limiting uniques and rares to requiring different members of the team to play different Factions.

I really like the idea of a minimum of 3 players with options for more, the problem is if you go above 3 or 4 you run into a couple of problems.

First everyone on team A can't play everyone on team B (which I think is important to get fair scores - it's down to ability, not luck of the draw)

Second, how would you manage the scoring system with variable numbers of players? You could take the best scores, average scores, top/bottom scores - but either way you're giving an advantage/disadvantage to clubs with more players compared with cubs who consistently field 3 players. I can't see any other way but to do it "professionally" and have strict team conditions... :(

Re specific rules, nothing has been decided although I am a huge fan of Craig and James' idea (same one you're suggesting) of limiting team composition to the rules book, i.e. only 1 unique model in play in a round or only two mature nephs etc... Having said that I am more hesitant to limit masters/factions - that really depends on what the players want.

On this, if anyone has any rules ideas which they think could work either post them or PM me, last time we discussed something like this we got some awesome ideas :)

To add my contribution, I think this idea is good, catering for those who want some competitive fun.

Having met and played most of those who are likely to be involved, its also a good opportunity to catch up too, amidst the rest of the gaming season, of course!...

As for format/suggestions...I think 3 per team is probably the most practicable...as its more inclusive and for some people who's cars are small, its more comfortable to fit in 3 than squeeze in 4 plus models etc! ;)

I'm looking forward to a great 2012 of Malifaux...and my new crew!... Lets put MK centre of the Map!! lol

Ok I'll chip in my thoughts on how this should work, all IMHO;

<ramble>

If we can keep the travelling for away games down to once per quarter that should be easy to commit to. This would make the ideal size of a division five clubs, therefore committing each club to eight games, four home and four away.

The league organiser (Adam) should probably divide the season into two-month blocks and allocate each clubs matches into those blocks. It's then down to the clubs to agree the exact dates for the matches. This should stop clubs getting behind on matches but leave them enough flexibility to make things work locally. I'd recommend two clubs who play in H1 of the season don't play again until H2. So matches are nicely spaced. Each club should be responsible for arranging it's own home matches; including venue, terrain etc. With away clubs organising their own transport.

Where we get to a position where we have enough clubs for more than one division I would advise the divisions be made by geography, at least for the first year. Again this cuts travelling and improves buy in.

Each club fields a team of three players, all of which need to have been a regularly attending member of the club for one month prior to the event. Three players allows for space in travelling cars (good point Drake) and will make scheduling easier. For example Harrogate Wargames Club has six-ish regular Malifaux players but at any one time several of us will be working or have other commitments.

Where there is a genuine lack of players at a club one space in the team can be filled by a ringer, the ringer must;

1) Not be taking part in the league as part of any other club.

2) Not be ranked as one of the top 8 (10 or 16?) Malifaux players at the time of the match,

3) Not be ranked more then 10 places higher than any of the ranked Malifaux players in the opposing club's team at the time of the match.

These restrictions (combined with the regularly attending member requirement) should prevent the forming of 'super clubs' but allow for the odd ringer to make up the numbers in support of their friends.

As for the format on the day, everyone plays everyone on the opposing team in a random order; 3 rounds, 9 games. The team winning the most games winning the match (worth 3 league points, 1 LP for a drawn match). The total TP difference and VP differences are also submitted to the league for tiebreakers.

As for game format, I'll think about this a bit more, and I've waffled on long enough on here.

</ramble>

Thanks mate. Stuff like that's almost my day job. Had some thoughts about the games on the day as well, again all IMHO;

Each player selects a fixed faction for the match; they use that faction in each game of the match, multiple players in a team can pick the same faction. Players reveal this to the opposing team.

The home team then publicly flips three random shared core strategies, one for each round. Multiples of the same strategy are reflipped.

Next each team secretly agrees amongst themselves which of them will be player A, player B and player C. Once both teams have picked, they then reveal which player each of them is.

The rounds are then played as 35ss scraps, with Schemes unique to the event. Players play each other as follows;

Round 1: AvA, BvB, CvC

Round 2: AvB, BvC, CvA

Round 3: AvC, BvA, CvB

Here’s the controversial bit;

In a given round team members may not sue the same master as each other, so two players can’t play Lilith in the same round, in addition each team can only use one of the following masters each round;

Pandora

The Dreamer

Kirai

Colette

Hamelin

So a legal team in a given round would be; The Dreamer &Lilith & Ramos, Lilith & Zoraida & Pandora, or Colette & Seamus & Lady J.

An illegal team would be: The Dreamer & Lilith & Colette, Lilith & Lilith & Ramos, or Hamelin & Pandora & Colette.

That way there are no faction restrictions, no one has to buy a new faction to play, however teams can’t take all the power masters each round.

You could couple this with shared rare / unique options.

With regards to how the match ups are done (8 matches, 3 games per match etc) I very much doubt I could get a Stockport team to commit to 8 free weekends in the year whilst maintaining interest in other tournaments, and hence why I think Harrogate would be fine with the 3 games per match but slightly smaller clubs could prefer to want their matches before/after a tournament they're at anyway.

Here’s the controversial bit;

In a given round team members may not sue the same master as each other, so two players can’t play Lilith in the same round, in addition each team can only use one of the following masters each round;

Pandora

The Dreamer

Kirai

Colette

Hamelin

Not that I don't agree, but you're getting into dangerous territory there that is not really on the topic of the club league... maybe best to leave that bit out until the base rules are done
:)

It's a good point, I think the balance has to be between making it significant enough to be worth travelling when it's the only event on a weekend, but also able to be played around another event. That's not easy. Scheduling will be fairly key to making anything work.

Playing 8 matches, actually means only 1 day away at another club every three months, and one day gaming at your home club. For Stockport vs Leeds & vs Harrogate you could probably do those matches in an evening.

When you look at it that way I'm not sure it's as big a job.

Edit: @ CalmDown - true.

One thing I'm hoping to avoid is having all of the matches happen in a short space of time and the league end up really being a big tournament weekend. I think there's just going to have to be some honesty (and realism) with how this comes together. Especially with clubs like Canterbury and Wales who have a big distance to travel to get to some of the other clubs.

One thing I'm hoping to avoid is having all of the matches happen in a short space of time and the league end up really being a big tournament weekend. I think there's just going to have to be some honesty (and realism) with how this comes together. Especially with clubs like Canterbury and Wales who have a big distance to travel to get to some of the other clubs.

So surely having 3 teams playing on one day and getting 3 fixtures out the way is a good way to make the travelling worthwhile?