The UK Malifaux League

magicpockets

Which is the best Malifaux club in the UK - Harrogate? Cross? Canterbury? Maelstrom? Cranfield? Leeds? Cambridge? Stockport? Or someone else?

There's only one way to find out....

====

So, I've discussed this with a few clubs and as the response has been overwhelmingly positive I wanted to open the discussion to everyone for feedback.

The idea is a 2012 club league across the UK with 6 clubs taking part. Teams would consist of 4 players and matches of 4 games (per player) would take place every five/six weeks, with every club alternating between home and away gaming days (which means you need to be able to travel every 2.5/3 months to another club for the day)

The mechanic that looks like it will work best is that each team fields a set player line up for a specific match (of 4 games), but this can be subbed in and out of across different matches (so the team in Feb can be different from the team in August). I think I've made that clear?

So, given I know there are a few clubs who are up for this, it would be great to hear your thoughts and interest.

Edited by magicpockets

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds very interesting.

How would you expect a match day to go, as some of those journies are quite long to just play 1 game.

And I'm not sure I could always garentee 4 players from our club, several have work on weekends and so forth, could 3 show up, and we just forfit the other match? (we'd know well in advance, to not make people show up for no game)

We can't always alternate between home and away, but I'm guessing thats obvious.

And when Canterbury win it, do we just get bragging rites, and a Price on our heads?

Will keep my eye on this for sure.

Interesting, really like the idea.

I'll speak to Harrogate when we meet on Thursday but I think we'd be well up for this. A couple of initial thoughts to throw out there;

Not all clubs meet on weekends, making other local arrangements may take some time so we'd need to plan well in advance, I'm sure that's not a problem.

Might be worth looking at getting some of these games in before/after (on the evening of?) other travelling events. For example if Cross were playing at an event in Leeds on a Saturday it may make sense to link this up and play their games against the Leeds club on the Sunday?

Thanks guys, re your questions -

1. You'd each be playing 4 games as every player would play every player on the other team.

2. We'd need to work out what happens to teams with less than 4 players. A forfeit sounds reasonable but it could really impact on your score so may not be ideal.

3. Advance planning will be critical to this working so we'd get full dates up at the start of the season. And we'll try to match up other local activities where possible to cut travel.

4. Also, we could have the option to split games over tow days or night before/day after to make it easier for people travelling.

5. We could have proxy venues if needed to accomodate clubs (like Cambridge) who may not be able to secure their normal venue for the home matches. These could be home town or even something like Maelstrom if needed - the home/away thing is just to cut down on the travel where possible :)

6. Lastly we could take teams of 3 players if people think that's more viable?

Edited by magicpockets

If the league is for 6 clubs, presumably for logistical reasons, what happens if there's interest from more than 6?

Leeds is a bit disjointed since the main gaming center closed. There's still plenty of players that could be interested, but we're a bit scattered/unorganised now.

Mike

If we get more than six I'll make a decision based on the clubs interested, their players (yes, looking at rankings) and practicality. However it's worth bearing in mind this is to find the best club, so skill level of the teams is very important and the final six will simply be the best contenders.

Beyond this we could always have a second division if there were enough teams.

So I suppose what we really need to work out is how many teams are looking at signing up and how many time's those teams would be willing to play home & away in 2012.

The 2012 calendar is already starting to fill up and I suspect there's already at least one event a month planned in H1, with several months already looking to have a couple of events in them.

Understanding how often teams will be able to play is going to be important when looking at potential team limits and divisions.

One thing I would say is that I don't neccesairly think every player in the team playing every other player in the team is a good thing. As mentioned before if people from two teams are travelling to events it makes sense to play the games there and then. As such I reckon a '1 round' format with ETC style match ups (I can explain if need be!) would be appropriate.

In addition people from 'The North' are more likely to go to northern events and so on so yet another reason I reckon it should be 1 round.

And how about if the 'home team' get to set the tables up, and the 'away team' get to choose their tables?

I reckon there'd need to be limitations so one club couldn't just bring 4 hamelins or whatever too. Ie Rares/uniques split over the club.

I was part of a vaguely similar thing years ago called The Yorkshire Bloodbowl League where there were 14 leagues around the country, mainly in yorkshire, with the top few qualifying for a finals at a venue that changed every year. I reckon a North/South could work.

Some cool ideas, we'll chew these between us once it's setup and work out how it'll work in practice. Re playing, we need to get all 3 vs 3 or 4 vs 4 (depending on how many we put in a team) to make it worth the travelling (are people really going to travel for one game?) and to get an accurate score across the team.

Also, I doubt there'll be a North vs South element. We'd need a lot more teams for that and the idea is everyone plays everyone to find the best. With Harrogate, Leeds, Stockport all being in the north that'd be a tough half, whereas Cranfield have only got sucky teams like Canterbury and Cambridge to play against in the south... ;)

Like I say, these are initial thoughts and ideas so lets get six teams to say yes and we'll sort the rest out from there.

^^And cheers Dom, glad to see a good sport willing to travel from Wales to get beaten again and again :)

Re: The travelling for one game, I think if there was a north/south split with say, 4 teams per 'division' people would be OK driving to another venue for a night of gaming as it's only an hour and a half max atm (Harrogate to Manc), so can go over on a gaming night.

The one game per match-up means that teams that travel to tournaments can kill two birds with one stone and not have to travel to the same venue they were at for a tournament just before.

And going back to the north-south, it'd be possible to do it and then have a play-off with the top 2 teams from each going into the A tournament, and the bottom 2 from each going into the B tournament so everyone is involved in the play-off and would be a nice big end of year style thing.

I'm not sure what teams you have in the south but from what's been said in your posts so far; Cardiff, Cantebury, Cambridge are South. Harrogate, Leeds, Stockport are North. Mansfield are halfway inbetween, there's also the MK lot.

Okay, expressions of interest then -

1. Milton Keynes/Cranfield

2. Harrogate

3. Canterbury

4. Leeds

5. Cardiff

6. Cambridge

7. Stockport

8. Swansea

Feel free to add/remove yourself, but bear in mi d this is just an indicator at this stage.

Also can someone give Mansfield and London a nudge?

Edited by magicpockets

Although I cant speak for all Cross, I am pretty sure we would be up for it. I know I am and I sure Cunningstunt and Calmdown(unless he has quit malifaux again by then:) ) would be as well.

Cheers mate, what's the name of your club? I always forget :)

While Leeds is fairly awesome I'm not sure it should be on there twice mate :)

That's why I missed Stockport off the list - good catch :D

I would struggle to piece together a team here in Maelstrom, especially ones wiling to travel :(

May have to try and join another team

Mitch I'm not 100% Stockport could get 4 regulars so you're more than welcome with me :)

Depending on how the rules come together this may not be permitted... :P

Although I cant speak for all Cross, I am pretty sure we would be up for it. I know I am and I sure Cunningstunt and Calmdown(unless he has quit malifaux again by then:) ) would be as well.

I'm sure we can sort something out.

I'll mention it to Clapham too as they're up for events as long as they're not ranked.