Vs Viktorias

AdrianMills

Cheers People will give it another try don't think my last 2 games against them where brawls where he didn't take another so had the full 10ss cache

I am working in Mirfield at the moment...anywhere round there to play?

Ian

There is no where currently to play in Mirfield nearest club is in Huddersfield on Monday Nights but played only GW last time I was there.

I am travelling across to Maelstrom alternate Thursday, only 45mins there and an hour back for me.

I used to play against the vics extensively, until my regular opponent moved. :(

Lilith is very evenly matched with the Vics. It is usually a fun game, though if you can kill one Vic the next usually doesn't last much longer. Games turn into chicken matches and waiting patiently to charge has more to do with winning than does model selection.

I was once able to kill a vic in melee combat with Zoraida, whose soul stone cache and proper manners kept her alive until she could stab the vic to death with a voodoo needle.

There's a flaw in that: you can't do it all in one go, if the other player gets a shot at the daydreams, it's toast, and so is this plan. I can see how it works, but in a tactical situation it's nigh-impossible to actually accomplish, or outright suicide to attempt.

You can do it in one activation without a chance to retaliate.

I'd suggest reading Pullmyfinger for an indepth explaination, but you can do it with 2 daydreams out to start with, and unburying none if you really want to.

I reckon any of the masters can face the Viks, just remember their strengths, and if you're going to try and compete in melee, you need to do it better than them. Otherwise make sure they can't play to their strengths.

Collodi should be able to ensure the Viks don't ever attack him if you don't want them too (sure this will use up a lot of your activations to ensure, so its probably not an entire game stratergy)

Hit the Ronin hard from the start, either from range or melee. Without Ronin Viki's tend to be a little more reticent about hurtling themselves forward as they can't use 'another one' to bring back the dead Vik.

HA! maybe I play differently to over people, but Ronin though useful to complete objectives, have some cool tricks and all i literally throw them in my opponents face forcing them to deal with them - why? because at the end of the day they are bottom line minions. If they are chewing activations to get through them then the vics are free to kill your entire crew. In the 2 years have been playing the vics I have never, ever done the "another one" trick it is just too hard to pull off, effectively puts one of the vics out of action for a turn (as it is a 2 action) and kills a minion.

If a Ronin is half dead, then get it to kill itself net yourself some more stones and use those to keep your vics alive in the first place!

As Adran has already said, play to their weakness's and avoid their strengths.

They struggle with mobility, good armour, generally have an elite crew so lack activations, $$$$$$$$ poor health, and ranged weapons, can be foiled every now and then with moral checks.

They are good at melee and doing high minimum damage, also great against spirits as have magical weapons.

You can do it in one activation without a chance to retaliate.

I'd suggest reading Pullmyfinger for an indepth explaination, but you can do it with 2 daydreams out to start with, and unburying none if you really want to.

I reckon any of the masters can face the Viks, just remember their strengths, and if you're going to try and compete in melee, you need to do it better than them. Otherwise make sure they can't play to their strengths.

Collodi should be able to ensure the Viks don't ever attack him if you don't want them too (sure this will use up a lot of your activations to ensure, so its probably not an entire game stratergy)

Like I said: anyone facing LCB will make his attack only hit something relatively useless, like desperate mercs, and then he'll never get to use it again, because the player will kill all of his Daydreams.

All that effort and he only managed to kill something inconsequential.

HA! maybe I play differently to over people, but Ronin though useful to complete objectives, have some cool tricks and all i literally throw them in my opponents face forcing them to deal with them - why? because at the end of the day they are bottom line minions. If they are chewing activations to get through them then the vics are free to kill your entire crew. In the 2 years have been playing the vics I have never, ever done the "another one" trick it is just too hard to pull off, effectively puts one of the vics out of action for a turn (as it is a 2 action) and kills a minion.

If a Ronin is half dead, then get it to kill itself net yourself some more stones and use those to keep your vics alive in the first place!

Agreed!

I have used Another One, but I generally assume it will cost me 3 SS to do so (it costs a Ronin + 2 ss and then needs a 13 :masks or :rams so I usually need to ss a high card). Those 3ss could have been used to keep them alive in the first place, and if short of stones, the Ronin could have been cashed in for 2 SS.

It certainly isn't a bargain - and with the Librarian so good at healing the girls, I don't use it too often.

And keeping the Ronin back 'just in case' wastes a great model.

Sorry if this is semi rezzing this thread, but I felt it worthwhile to mention, what kills viks for me IS collodi. Keep 1 back with collodi, take 3 and group them together. Every Viking player I have faced goes, " oooooo! Whirlwind!" And charges in there. Let them use their activation, sacrifice a doll, bring out killjoy. Two shots a Viking on weak damage.

Every single Viking player I face is ready and willing to whirlwind. And I have yet to play someone I can't pull them out with this.

And then use a turn or two for collodi rezzing dolls while killjoy happily munches faces.

And if you don't like killjoy, try to find other ways to lure them out. You have to activate after them. Neverborn are tricky bastards, remember that.

• 2 weeks later...