Ressurectionists under $50/$100

SoulG

Just a thought exorcise I plan on doing for every faction. How would you recommend starting each master with a $50 and a $100 investment (excluding tax/shipping)? I plan on building this list, largely, so I have some easy recommendations for new people. Prices will be assumed to be from Malifaux's suggested retail.

I have a list starting, and am open to suggestions. Emphasis should be for producing reasonably newbie-friendly lists that allow the master to tackle a wide range of strategies reasonably well. I am especially looking for insight into McMourning, since I have the least experience with him.

Nicodem

$50

- The Undertaker's Lot ($28.00)

- Grave Spirit ($7.00)

- Mindless Zombies ($15.00)

$100

- Rotten Belles (18.00)

- Dead Rider($30.00)

Seamus

$50

- Red Chapel Gang ($31.00)

- The Hanged ($14.00)

$100

- Grave Spirit ($7.00)

- Night Terrors ($15.00)

- Night Terrors ($15.00)

- Punk Zombies ($15.00)

Dr. Douglas McMourning

$50

- Dr. Douglas McMourning ($9.00)

- Sebastian ($9.00)

- Flesh Construct ($10.00)

- Rotten Belles ($18.00)

$100

- Dead Rider ($30)

- Zombie Chihuahua ($7.00)

- Canine Remains ($14.00)

Kirai Ankoku

$50

- Spirits of Vengeance Box ($43.00)

$101 (The extra dollar is worth 2 Seishin.)

- Lost Love ($9.00)

- Seishin ($12.00)

- Seishin ($12.00)

- Shikome ($9.00)

- Gaki ($16.00)

Molly Squidpidge

$50

- Molly Box Set ($36.00)

- Grave Spirit ($7.00)

$100

- Red Chapel Gang Box Set ($31.00)

- Necrotic Machine ($12.00)

- That'll give you everything, to date, that Molly can use. Afterwards transition her to a Henchmen in other people's crews. To be fair, she's better in that capacity anyways.

The Faction for $100/$150

These are options to build from more of a faction-based perspective for $100/$150. They focus on cross-pollination and preparing the faction to face a variety of situations.

Origonal 3 Bundle Pack

This will give you everything you need to play each of the three beginning masters well at $100, and good at $150. At $100 you're running light on objective runners, but this really comes into its own at the $150 mark.

$100

- Dougles McMourning ($9.00)

- The Red Chapel Gang ($31.00)

- Dead Rider ($30.00)

$150

- Grave Spirit ($7.00)

- Necropunks ($18.00)

Original Rezzer Tag-Team

Seamus and McMourning were the first rezzers to work together in the fluff, and you can buy for both fairly easily. This list is better at objective-grabbing missions.

$100

- Douglas McMourning ($9.00)

- The Red Chapel Gang ($31.00)

- Night Terrors ($15.00)

- Night Terrors ($15.00)

- Dead Rider ($30.00)

$150

- Grave Spirit ($7.00)

- Zombie Chihuahua ($7.00)

Any ONE of the Following

- Crooked Men ($18.00)

- Punk Zombies ($15.00) + Von Schill / Taelor / Convict Gunslinger / Sebastian / Shikome ($9.00 at the most)

- Canine Remains ($14.00) + Rogue Necromancy ($14.00) [goes $2 over]

- Canine Remains ($14.00) + Flesh Construct / Von Schill / Taelor / Convict Gunslinger / Sebastian / Shikome ($10.00 at the most)

- Any 3 of: Flesh Construct, Taelor, Shikome, Convict Gunslinger, Von Schill [goes $1-2 over]

The Gentleman and the Whore

This one doesn't even have a $100 option, since the $100 option is just Kirai's normal list. It's more of a note that adding Seamus' $50 purchase on top of Kirai's list is a good way to start the faction at $150. The only alterations made was replacing the Gaki purchase with either Jack Daw + Grave Spirit or Von Schill + Librarian

$150

- Spirits of Vengeance Box ($43.00)

- Lost Love ($9.00)

- Seishin ($12.00)

- Seishin ($12.00)

- Shikome ($9.00)

- Red Chapel Gang ($31.00)

- The Hanged ($14.00)

- Jack Daw ($9.00) + Grave Spirit ($7.00) -OR- Von Schill ($9.00) + Freikorps Librarian ($9.00)

Top-Hat Gentleman's Club

This is my attempt to build a faction-wide list using Molly. It assumes Crooligans are effective objective runners, which I'm not sure about.

$100

- Molly Box Set ($36.00)

- Red Chapel Gang Box Set ($31.00)

- Grave Spirit ($7.00)

- Grave Spirit ($7.00)

- Crooked Men ($18.00)

$150

Any ONE of the following: [up to $2 over]

- Jack Daw ($9.00)

- Convict Gunslinger ($9.00)

- Taelor ($9.00)

Edited by SoulG

Added Molly, although TBH I wouldn't really recommend a new person take her.

dsmiles: I agree. But it's really hard to do Kirai cheap, and she really wants that other stuff too. What would you recommend replacing with the Seishin, while keeping it at $100 or less?

Lol. It's k. ^_^

All is well, and it lead to useful things.

Da big Baws: Don't be too worried about models with Ressurectionists. The reason that ressers seem so expensive is because every master can, pretty much, use every model in some situations.

That said, you can be very happy without them. Take Nicodem: You can play Nicodem very well for under $100. However, if you spend another $200 on resser models, you will probably still be very happy.

Compare Arcanists, where you can pretty much "Max Out"-ish most non-Marcus Arcanist masters for under $100/$200, but when is a Ramos going to use a Silent One? You wind up building masters one at a time.

Meanwhile, with Ressers, you select your models for strategy and then select your master to compliment (kiiiiiiinda). Kirai not-withstanding.

Edited by SoulG

Ressurectionists Crew - 25 - Scrap

Dr. Douglas McMourning
--
6 Pool

• Flesh Construct
    [7ss]

• Rotten Belles
    [4ss]

• Rotten Belles
    [4ss]

• Rotten Belles
    [4ss]

• Sebastian, Morgue Assistant
    [6ss]

Costs a total of $46 suggested retail. You may want to consider springing the extra $13 to get Seamus' box as well. Because you'll eventually want him and there's very few problems that Belles can't solve.

Interesting, wouldn't it be important to get some Canine Remains? Both the master and assistant can summon them, and they give back the 2 Body part pieces at death, no?

Edit: Similar to my last post, what is the minimum to play with Uncle Nic (hehe...Nicodem) at 25SS (I play at that level)?

I ask because since he can summon like half the Ressurectionist minions, the Box + Mindless Zombie blister seems insufficient. That is why I'm thinking Seamus might be the best Master that needs the least stuff added to his box. Even though I hate Sybelle's sculpt (not the model's rules, they're nice)....

Edited by Da Big Baws

Interesting, wouldn't it be important to get some Canine Remains? Both the master and assistant can summon them, and they give back the 2 Body part pieces at death, no?

Agreed, but they're $15 a pop. The list provided emphasized costing less than $50. Going forward his totem and some dogs would be a wise investment. To be honest, you could probably replace the Dead Rider in the $100 list with whatever, as he was included largely as personal preference.

Edit: Similar to my last post, what is the minimum to play with Uncle Nic (hehe...Nicodem) at 25SS (I play at that level)?

I ask because since he can summon like half the Ressurectionist minions, the Box + Mindless Zombie blister seems insufficient.

If you spend $50/$100 on Nicodem you can be happy. If you spend $500 on Nicodem you can still be happy. He's one of those masters you can just keep dumping money on, but you don't need to. At 25ss I'd recommend

Nicodem, The Undertaker
--
3 Pool

• Mortimer, The Gravedigger
    [7ss]

• Punk Zombie
    [5ss]

• Punk Zombie
    [5ss]

• Rotten Belles
    [4ss]

• Rotten Belles
    [4ss]

Remove one Punk or one Belle for the soulstones, depending on your taste. Note that this won't have Mindless Zombies under $50 and that you are confined to the "Block" style of play.

That is why I'm thinking Seamus might be the best Master that needs the least stuff added to his box. Even though I hate Sybelle's sculpt (not the model's rules, they're nice)....

I recommend Seamus' box being among your first purchases entirely because you'll use the Belles so often and you'll want the other models anyways, eventually.

Agreed, but they're $15 a pop. The list provided emphasized costing less than $50. Going forward his totem and some dogs would be a wise investment. To be honest, you could probably replace the Dead Rider in the $100 list with whatever, as he was included largely as personal preference.

If you spend $50/$100 on Nicodem you can be happy. If you spend $500 on Nicodem you can still be happy. He's one of those masters you can just keep dumping money on, but you don't need to. At 25ss I'd recommend

Nicodem, The Undertaker
--
3 Pool

[7ss]

• Punk Zombie
    [5ss]

• Punk Zombie
    [5ss]

• Rotten Belles
    [4ss]

• Rotten Belles
    [4ss]

Remove one Punk or one Belle for the soulstones, depending on your taste. Note that this won't have Mindless Zombies under $50 and that you are confined to the "Block" style of play.

I recommend Seamus' box being among your first purchases entirely because you'll use the Belles so often and you'll want the other models anyways, eventually.

"Block" style?

I think in order of cost to get a good force the Rezers go

Seamus

McMourning

Nicodem/Kirai (both can summon a lot so they end up needing quite an expansive collection)

I have Seamus, Kirai and McMourning, I've got an awful lot of Rezer models yet I'm still having issues getting together the courage to get Nicodem started as even with everything I've got I would probably need a minimum of a box of Mindless Zombies, Nicodem, Mortimer and at least a vulture.

The other thing to note it Seamus will give you Belles which you will want for McMourning and Nicodem. McMourning will give you Flesh Constructs, Cannine Remains and the Rogue Necromancy, which you will want for Nicodem.

Therefore there is a very natural progression through the Rezer Masters.

Edited by Ratty

"Block" style?

One of the popular ways to play Nicodem is to bring a solid core of models (punk zombies and belles are fantastic), buff them up with bolster and go from there. Nico himself ends up spending his time supporting the existing models and rezzing replacements for models that go down.

This plays very different from a summoner list that tends to be heavy on canine remains and other cheap sources of corpse counters, then spends its time building those cheaper units into larger ones like flesh constructs and rogue necromancies.

One of the popular ways to play Nicodem is to bring a solid core of models (punk zombies and belles are fantastic), buff them up with bolster and go from there. Nico himself ends up spending his time supporting the existing models and rezzing replacements for models that go down.

This plays very different from a summoner list that tends to be heavy on canine remains and other cheap sources of corpse counters, then spends its time building those cheaper units into larger ones like flesh constructs and rogue necromancies.

Interesting...so in this style, Bolster Undead is cast almost every turn rather than bringing Mindless Zombies, letting the Corpse counters be fuel to replace casualties, right?

That means you rarely need extra models for summoning. That is very important if you just are starting or just want to dip a little in the Ressurectionists. I like that. I like it a lot.

I'm guessing this style also handles anti-Undead/Corpse (Lady Justice, Spirits) and Contruct Heavy better than summoning lists, due to not depending on Corpses as much. One of my opponents plays Lady J and often borrows my Hoffman crew. Nice if this assessment is true. :)

Edited by Da Big Baws

Interesting...so in this style, Bolster Undead is cast almost every turn rather than bringing Mindless Zombies, letting the Corpse counters be fuel to replace casualties, right?

That means you rarely need extra models for summoning. That is very important if you just are starting or just want to dip a little in the Ressurectionists. I like that. I like it a lot.

I'm guessing this style also handles anti-Undead/Corpse (Lady Justice, Spirits) and Contruct Heavy better than summoning lists, due to not depending on Corpses as much. One of my opponents plays Lady J and often borrows my Hoffman crew. Nice if this assessment is true. :)

In this style of play, Arise mostly gets used as a means of dragging all corpse counters in 10 inches to within 6 for reanimating into something large, with maybe 1 or 2 mindless zombies as a "just in case". (Though protecting Nico with this list shouldn't be very difficult since you can screen him easily with bolstered units.)

You basically got it. A Standard, cheap 35ss "Block" army is

Ressurectionists Crew - 35 - Scrap

Nicodem, The Undertaker
--
8 Pool

Grave Spirit [1ss]

[7ss]

• Punk Zombie
    [5ss]

• Punk Zombie
    [5ss]

• Rotten Belles
    [4ss]

• Rotten Belles
    [4ss]

• Rotten Belles
    [4ss]

Possibly replace one Belle with another Punk Zombie. Edit to taste (people will suggest different things). It plays very simply. Move your crew up the field, keeping everything within 10" of Nicodem. The Belles lure the enemy into your killzone while Nicodem bolsters and offers ranged support (PARALYZE! And Decay)--occasionally replacing models that fall.

If you're willing to spend more money you want to make room for a Dead Rider. Seriously, it helps so much. Then, if you get a Mask in your starting hand? Have the Rider Drag Along Nicodem, then have Mortimer use Fresh Meat on Nicodem to move everything up. Possibly even casting it twice (If not, Move*2 or Move + Exhume).

You basically got it. A Standard, cheap 35ss "Block" army is

Ressurectionists Crew - 35 - Scrap

Nicodem, The Undertaker
--
8 Pool

Grave Spirit [1ss]

[7ss]

• Punk Zombie
    [5ss]

• Punk Zombie
    [5ss]

• Rotten Belles
    [4ss]

• Rotten Belles
    [4ss]

• Rotten Belles
    [4ss]

Possibly replace one Belle with another Punk Zombie. Edit to taste (people will suggest different things). It plays very simply. Move your crew up the field, keeping everything within 10" of Nicodem. The Belles lure the enemy into your killzone while Nicodem bolsters and offers ranged support (PARALYZE! And Decay)--occasionally replacing models that fall.

If you're willing to spend more money you want to make room for a Dead Rider. Seriously, it helps so much. Then, if you get a Mask in your starting hand? Have the Rider Drag Along Nicodem, then have Mortimer use Fresh Meat on Nicodem to move everything up. Possibly even casting it twice (If not, Move*2 or Move + Exhume).

How is this using Dead Rider?

Nicodem, The Undertaker
--
6 Pool

Grave Spirit [1ss]

[7ss]

• Punk Zombie
    [5ss]

• Dead Rider
    [10ss]