Nicodem - what to get?

Cyphre

I'm a very new player to Malifaux, who has chosen Nicodem as my primary Ressers master. Besides his starter box I have added Rotten Belles and The Hanged, and I'm now looking to add further to it.

I think I will pick up a Flesh Construct and a Vulture next week, but in a couple of weeks I will have some £50 GBP to spend and really want to know how to spend them in the best way.

Here is what I'm looking at:

Crooked Men - seems to be a must with Nicodem

Convict Gunslinger - also a must

Necropunks - will add some speed to the crew and I like the models

Molly boxed set - really like the Crooligans and Molly, but not the Rogue Necromancy.

So my question is; is this the best additions to a Nicodem crew. Do I still need Necropunks if I get the Molly boxed set. Is Killjoy someone I should look at - really like his model but he is expensive and has a high soultstone cost.

I'm not sure why you don't like the rogue necromancy as he would be a very good addition to a nico crew.

I have no idea what the Rogue Necromancy does as a model, so I can only judge it on how the model look, and it does not strike me a Ressers model, it looks more like something Marcus would use.

The Rogue Necromancy is nice and if you have the counters he is definitely worth summoning. But...

He does not get out much in my experience. Sitting on counters getting to the four required while there is stuff going on that needs immediate attention is a tough call.

I have found most often that I need to bring out Flesh Constructs as often as I get 2 counters, usually dropping them next to whatever just killed one of my guys to create my second counter.

Just last night I sat there wishing that I had a THIRD flesh construct model as I already had two summoned to the board and lucked out on another high crow in my hand.

If I have a very high soul stone count, I actually bring out punk zombies since I can stone low crows up easily. Bolster gets better and better with higher model counts and paired Katana CB-9... Yummm....

My absolute favorite model right now with Nic is Dead Rider.

Love, love, love...

Link grave spirit to him and have him drag people into your block of doom from 11 inches away, replace their corpses with punks or flesh constructs... Rinse and repeat.

I have struggled with Molly fighting with Nicodem for cards. Not spent too much time trying, but failed in what I did try. Not trying to discourage her use at all. Quite the opposite, I hope someone comes up with some great ideas with her and Nicodem that I can steal. :)

I think it never hurts to have some canine remains around for when they fit for very cheap objective grabbing and eventual corpse counters. (Situational)

I am not personally a fan of the all-out "bring 1000 dogs and kill them all for counters" type stuff, but I like the dogs because they have some use before and after death in some game types.

You already have a hanged, which is cool... From what I read. :)

Not personally gotten them to play nice for me, but just started trying to use them recently, so I am not looking to disparage them at all. I LOVE their idea. So far, I just fail at using them well.

I dunno about difficult...

Last 2 games I've played with Nicodem I summoned the rogue necromancy by t3 or t4. Both times were at an extremely good position which solidified my win.

The rogue necromancy is an amazing beast.

That said, I've had 3 Flesh Contructs on the table at the same time as well, and that was a crushing victory.

I almost always use the Dead Rider though. :) Great model, and nasty on the table.

The Rogue Necromancy is nice and if you have the counters he is definitely worth summoning. But...

He does not get out much in my experience. Sitting on counters getting to the four required while there is stuff going on that needs immediate attention is a tough call.

I have found most often that I need to bring out Flesh Constructs as often as I get 2 counters, usually dropping them next to whatever just killed one of my guys to create my second counter.

Just last night I sat there wishing that I had a THIRD flesh construct model as I already had two summoned to the board and lucked out on another high crow in my hand.

If I have a very high soul stone count, I actually bring out punk zombies since I can stone low crows up easily. Bolster gets better and better with higher model counts and paired Katana CB-9... Yummm....

My absolute favorite model right now with Nic is Dead Rider.

Love, love, love...

Link grave spirit to him and have him drag people into your block of doom from 11 inches away, replace their corpses with punks or flesh constructs... Rinse and repeat.

I have struggled with Molly fighting with Nicodem for cards. Not spent too much time trying, but failed in what I did try. Not trying to discourage her use at all. Quite the opposite, I hope someone comes up with some great ideas with her and Nicodem that I can steal. :)

I think it never hurts to have some canine remains around for when they fit for very cheap objective grabbing and eventual corpse counters. (Situational)

I am not personally a fan of the all-out "bring 1000 dogs and kill them all for counters" type stuff, but I like the dogs because they have some use before and after death in some game types.

You already have a hanged, which is cool... From what I read. :)

Not personally gotten them to play nice for me, but just started trying to use them recently, so I am not looking to disparage them at all. I LOVE their idea. So far, I just fail at using them well.

So in your experience, if I get the Molly boxed set do the Crooligans provide the same as the Necropunks, or do you prefer the Canine Remains for the speedy objective grabbers.

Spoiler below, highlight to see.

McMourning has an affinity for making creations out of animals because he was taught by a certain professor that was thrown out of the university for performing ungodly experiments. That professor is now operating in the wilds of Malifaux.

Go Crooked Men, Molly Box, Mindless Zombies, and a Grave Spirit next.

This gives you objective grabbers, ranged attacks/more board control, Nicodem's early warning response system, and a totem that will toughen anything (Hanged and Dead Rider linked to it are especially nasty).

After that, I'd probably look into the Dead Rider, Killjoy, (when released) Dead Doxies, and Necropunks and/or Canine Remains.

By that point you should have a better idea as to how you like to play Nicodem, so at that point check out Bete Noire, the Convict Gunslinger, and consider Desperate Mercs.

Go Crooked Men, Molly Box, Mindless Zombies, and a Grave Spirit next.

This gives you objective grabbers, ranged attacks/more board control, Nicodem's early warning response system, and a totem that will toughen anything (Hanged and Dead Rider linked to it are especially nasty).

After that, I'd probably look into the Dead Rider, Killjoy, (when released) Dead Doxies, and Necropunks and/or Canine Remains.

By that point you should have a better idea as to how you like to play Nicodem, so at that point check out Bete Noire, the Convict Gunslinger, and consider Desperate Mercs.

Thank you for your post. If not looking directly at who you're playing what 30-35 SS list do you use?

Thank you for your post. If not looking directly at who you're playing what 30-35 SS list do you use?

The problem with Nicodem is that you can summon a lot of different Undead during the game depending on opponent, how the game is going, strategies etc. so you will find that you need a pool of models for that.

Generally your looking at the more expensive elite non-unique troops for summoning, as if your paying a Corpse counter why summon a 2ss model when you could summon a 5ss one.

For summoning I would look at Belles for control, Punk Zombies for damage and the Rogue Necromancy for when you have a lot of corpse counters available.

You will also probably need Mindless Zombies for protection.

For your core starting crew a lot of people seem to go something like this.

Ressurectionists Crew - 35 - Scrap

Nicodem, The Undertaker
--
5 Pool

1 Vulture [2ss]

• Bête Noire
    [9ss]

• Canine Remains
    [2ss]

• Canine Remains
    [2ss]

• Canine Remains
    [2ss]

• Mortimer, The Gravedigger
    [7ss]

• Necropunk
    [3ss]

• Necropunk
    [3ss]

• Necropunk
    [3ss]

Mortimer is good for getting extra corpse counters, you probably want one big hitter in this list it's Bete, but Killjoy or the Dead Rider would do. The rest is generally made up of cheap models that will get combined to make bigger stuff as the game goes on, I've chosen Necropunks in this case as they are fast and can take objectives, they also drop Corpse Counters which makes them a better choice than Night Terrors, you could possibly drop them and put in Crooligans instead, it's not a bad choice, the only issue is that they are Horrors so you can only have 2.

Edited by Ratty

So in your experience, if I get the Molly boxed set do the Crooligans provide the same as the Necropunks, or do you prefer the Canine Remains for the speedy objective grabbers.

I have not run Crooligans yet, but looking forward to it. I have a 25 point list that I want to try them for heavier objective grabbing and eventual helping with fights.

I want to see how they are with the Hanged in particular. (although lately its hard for me to take anything without Dead Rider... :) )

Can someone please tell me, why the vulture? Nicodem was my first Master and I have never once ran a vulture or two and not thought soon after "I should have taken the Grave Spirit." It costs less, has a crow in its cast(which is even numerically better than the vultures), and has the link/armor abilities. Why do people recommend the vultures? What am I missing?

Can someone please tell me, why the vulture? Nicodem was my first Master and I have never once ran a vulture or two and not thought soon after "I should have taken the Grave Spirit." It costs less, has a crow in its cast(which is even numerically better than the vultures), and has the link/armor abilities. Why do people recommend the vultures? What am I missing?

My guess if to use the Vulture(s)OAS vectors to pick up Corpses and/or let Nicodem himself cast at longer range.

Edited by Da Big Baws