I understand the 'no $$$$$$$$$$$$' thing, but...

dsmiles

the problem I see with it is the fact that we've already got some of those "acts" as separate crews....

"people with painted faces"/Performers - Colette

"Beast Tamers" - Marcus

as for the freaks and geeks...

living in a world of magic, and Neverborn... probably makes that kind of act a notably lower draw than a couple of scantly clad dancers...

so that really just leaves acrobats, and tight rope walkers... which is hard to build an act on just by themselves...

still, they could go the other direction...

a troupe of entertainers who are actually just that, entertainers.

we have dancing girls... why not Commedia Dell'arte or "slapstick" entertainers?

model's whose entire purpose is damage mitigation and healing, and thus strive for a battle in which no side loses pieces, but winning is done by strategy and scenario?

they could have powers that make targets Harmless, Pitiful, and Insignifcant for the rest of the game...

hmm...

perhaps I'll homebrew up what I'm thinking (i recall doing this for Mordheim ages ago...)

Do we already have a knife thrower? A fire eater? Magical malabarists?

i'm talking a crew, as a whole, who doesn't focus on damage dealing or disabling models..

examples..

the Fire Eater could have a burst template that does no damage, but causes Burning counters and Terrifying...

a Ringmaster who's vocal attacks make models Paralyzed, stunned with awe...

a Hypnotist that makes models Insignificant

acrobats who prevent disengaging (high CB, no damage) but also have DF triggers that let them reposition when attacked in place of taking damage...

a strongman who easily pushes models around the field, rather than harming them...

the Fire Eater could have a burst template that does no damage, but causes Burning counters and Terrifying.....

Well to be nit picky Burning counters can cause damage.

But honestly I like the idea. Could be really fun. I like the idea of preventing an opponents crew from not getting the strategies and schemes because they are all paralyzed, insignifcant or just running away but without killing a single model.

I think it was said on the forum (so take the truth of this with a grain of salt) that Eric hates these unholy creatures and doesn't want them in Malifaux. Like I said, Collodi and his band are probably the closest we could get.

I could definitely see certain circus acts as performed by the Showgirls popping up, like a fire eater. Many of them are considered part of the overall show of magic. We just won't see the painted variety.