Beginning Marcus

lewisc

I have the boxed set and 3 molemen, and I am wondering where to go from here. I have a few questions as follows,

1) Is the snake worth taking? his threat range seems incredible(18") and he also brings some ranged firepower to my side(something I lack at the moment)

2) Is it viable to play all-beast marcus up to 45 ss or so? or do I really need to snag some other models?

3) I have heard Marcus is one of the weaker masters, that seems odd to me as he seems to have one of the largest model selections and some of the best buffs/debuffs in the game...

4) What should I be looking to pick up next?

Thanks.

I have the boxed set and 3 molemen, and I am wondering where to go from here. I have a few questions as follows,

1) Is the snake worth taking? his threat range seems incredible(18") and he also brings some ranged firepower to my side(something I lack at the moment)

2) Is it viable to play all-beast marcus up to 45 ss or so? or do I really need to snag some other models?

3) I have heard Marcus is one of the weaker masters, that seems odd to me as he seems to have one of the largest model selections and some of the best buffs/debuffs in the game...

4) What should I be looking to pick up next?

Thanks.

1) he is not for ranged, and I'm a huge fan of the razorspine, if you want ranged, desperate merc is good, and convict gunslinger are good.

2) like i said, sometimes you use gunslingers or something else.

3) it is said, but you can make some nasty crews with him, winner of my last tourney was Marcus, 19 players and he was the only Marcus player, and he won big time. he is easy to learn, but difficult to make him work perfect with his crew.

4) shikome is a good addition. silurid are used as well.

I have played all beast crews in some high ss games but the more you play marcus the more you will see that he doesn't necessarily need any beasts at all to make him work the way he is suppose to.

I totally agree the the rattler isn't for ranged. Look at some of your merc options or the gunsmiths. if you want a ranged punch. I also only usually include the rattler if I want to stick a terrifying model right in the opponents face. in other words unless your fond of him you won't really miss him if he doesn't make it into your list.

Shikome and silurid are, like sephiroa said, great options. Marcus and shikome have better synergy than Marcus and any arcanist beast I can think of actually.

My track record might not be the best with him but they were all close games. (The tie I won, but later found out I cheated so we called it a draw.)

Wadlgeist are a good beast to take if you in a game with forests. You can pick up and move a forest right from under someone or place a forest right on top someone. They are also good for holding objectives because of their armor.

There are a lot of play styles that think Arcanists crews only work if all crews are of similar design, ex Marcus=Beasts, Raspi=Frozen Heart, Ramos=Constructs. But you don't need to limit your options. Picking up a "non-traditional" model to fill in gaps for speed, melee, or range will greatly increase the effectiveness of your models. Mercs are a great way to fill those gaps. So are picking other Arcanist models. If you have some, play around with a few and find ones that fit your play style. Also remember Malifaux is an objective game and hire models that are tiered to the objectives.

I like the snake, and often use him, but I don't think I've ever used his ranged attack. Every time I've been able to its just seemed better to charge. I can think of situations when it isn't the best option, they just have never come up in game.

Marcus is very much a tool box master. To get the best out of him you pick the right list for the situation. If you look at UK Rocky and the crews he selects I think there are something like 70 different minions all told.

Because of this, i think his learning curve is quite different to other masters, as it starts in the crew hiring to a much greater extent than any other crew and includes learning to get the best out of such a wide range of models.

I would like to think the past year has done a lot to dispell the myth that Marcus is the worst master by and far which was what some people used to claim.

You can field just beasts well above 45 soulstone, and potentially be competative, but ruling out other arcanist models or merecenaries is just handicapping yourself.

Common buys include

Shikome -killing machines.

Night Terrors - cheap Signifigant fast objective grabbers

Silurids - Fast moving Objective grabbers

Waldergiest - The nearest Beast to a tank

Raptors - Adding beast to another model lets Myranda play.

Kaeris - ranged damage. Good when beasted with Myranda

Corephyee duet - probably the best objective grabber in the game,

Jackalope - cheap and fast and very very tough to get rid of (for good)

Gunsmith/Convict gunsligher - ranged support

Currently I am running at 25 stones

Marcus

Myranda

Snake

Cerberus

Moleman

I got tabled by Vics(Taelor/bishop/misaki) due to a mix of forgetting what I was doing and bad luck(normally I don't blame luck, but I first struck everything and failed to kill anything, so..., there is actually probably a rational explanation for that but whatever.) I also mangled Marcus's activation...twice in a row...and forgot almost all of cerberus's additional abilities/spells. It was a good game though, really started to relearn what I was doing.

In spite of that I actually felt like I had a lot of control on the table, I hit hard and fast, and really controlled the engagement.(Don't draw 3/4/5/7 of the same suit...it's really bad for connecting with an opponent) so I actually do like that list by and large.

I have a few questions though, I am probably going to pick up silurids and jackalope, and drop the snake/cerberus for the silurids. If I can get my hands on a shikome soon I will probably swap out miranda and the moleman for that and the jackalope.

So first off, am I missing something obvious with that list?

Second off, is shikome/siluridsx3/jackalope an okay list as well/in addition to?

3rd off, rules question about myranda's shape change, can she turn into any 8ss or less beast in the game? or just ones I have taken? or what? because being able to randomly turn into a lawyer seems strong...or a cerberus or a dog/whatever. I know she doesn't get their spells but still...

Also, I was looking at the desperate mercs/gunslinger convicts/gunsmiths for ranged support, I just would prefer to run no more than one or two of them. I also might run a rider as a tank(a lot of what I get is based on how much I like the model/fluff, so I have misaki and am picking up a bishop, and will probably never run them with Marcus.)

Oh and thanks for the suggestions.