Newb with Sonnia

shakedown47

Hey guys, still pretty new to the game, with just two starter box 25ss games under my belt. This is the fourth tabletop miniatures game that I'll play concurrently with all the others, so I want to keep the total investment south of $200, at least for now.

That said, I'd like a solid "all-comers" list using the only Guild master I like, Sonnia. The idea of a Brawl doesn't really interest me all that much, so I just want a core of models suitable for a game up to 50ss that I can swap out.

Here's my 35ss list so far:

Sonnia Criid - (4ss cache)

Essence of Power - 3ss

Samael Hopkins - 8ss

Hamelin - 10ss

Witchling Stalker - 4ss

Witchling Stalker - 4ss

Watcher - 3ss

I figure that gives me some board control, massive ranged power, decent melee and a utility model. My next purchase, I think, will be the Peacekeeper, but I'm open to suggestions. I like Ronin, but I'd like to keep mercenary use to a minimum. Any ideas on combos that work well with other guild models, or firsthand experiences with a list similar to mine?

Of the list of models you have, I rarely if ever use the Essence of Power. And Hamelin is very expensive and I don't generally get a lot of use in a Guild Crew.

Things I would consider that are out

The Peacekeeper. Its tough and very fast. Great for grabbing objectives. It does tend to eat your cards up and it becomes a bit of a target

3 more Witching Stalkers. Because you can always make more

A desperate Mercenary or two. Great cheap 2 point models who do pretty good, plus when they die they heal your crewe(something Guild needs). Also if you can kill them youself when they are low on health you can get more Stalkers.

Avatar Sonnia. Once you get some games under your belt you should look into her Avatar. It is one of my favorite in the new book and very powerful.

--------------------

Things that are worth getting when they come out

Fire Gaiman - If you decide to go Avatar Sonnia these guys throw out a lot of extra burning tokens

Witchling Handler -Kinda a Duh on this girl. She makes Witchling awesome

Death Marschal exorcist - Not great in every list but a must include if you are going against Ressers(especially Kirai)

-----------------------

Other things to consider

Nino Ortega - Great long range support

Santiago Ortega - Great middle range support. Doesn't put out the raw damage Samael does but it more maneuverable and harder to kill then he is.

Thanks for the tips. The essence of power is just an idea so far, something I'll try out this weekend. I like it mostly because its cast is Tome suited.

Hamelin is there to walk and push enemy minions through fire walls, and to Obey Samael to walk out of cover so that I don't have to set up his Rapid Fire action a turn in advance. Not sure how well this will work so far, but it seems solid enough in theory.

I haven't read much about the Witchling Handler, but I love the stalkers, so the Handler is probably a definite once it drops.

Her avatar looks sweet as well, but $40 right now is steep for a game that I'm still somewhat demo-ing for myself.

The Peace Keeper is awesome.. with Hoffman. If you're playing Sonnia it'll just eat your hand. A Guardian, on the other hand, is an auto-include for me in any guild list.

Hamelin is great, but he's expensive for a 35 point game, especially if you add a 3 point Essence of Power that dies if it goes too far away. That doesn't mean you shouldn't play him (he's a lot of fun and it's an awesome model - plus he makes gremlins cry which is always a hoot), just that you probably won't take him in the same list as Sammael.

Witchlings are great rank-and-file troops, they'll never let you down unless you pack them too closely and they end up blowing eachother to bits.

Other good models for a starting guild crew: Nino, Fransisco and Santiago Ortega (maybe just the Ortega box...), Austringers. If you get a one or two of these, combined with your basic list, you should have every role covered and should be able to play any scenario.

your not the only one... took me a good few minutes to figure it out :D

Sorry, I should have clarified that. I, myself, have a pet peeve when people throw out things in forums as though they should be a given. My bad.

The essence of power I'm kind of split on. It still hasn't arrived in the mail yet, so I have no table time with it, but I like the increased chance of blasts it gives to Sonnia with its Empower ability. Also, the idea that it's casting is Tome suited is very appealing, as it can cast her spells much easier than something like the Purifying Flame.

Its downside, obviously, is its very low wound profile despite being a spirit. Sonnia should keep it from getting damaged by spells and blasts due to Advanced Counterspell, but I'll need some game time to figure out whether or not my opponents consider it enough of a threat to shoot it with normal ranged attacks.

Hamelin just seems too awesome not to field. I love his model (the master version is complete crap, however, looks-wise) and his ability to screw with enemy models/give extra activations to my own crew is awesome.

No one has commented yet on the watcher. What are people's thoughts on this guy? His mobility seems like a definite plus in this list for certain scenarios, and the ability to look at the top cards of the fate deck seems like a big advantage. Has anyone had some serious table time with a watcher, and if so is it a solid choice for a 3ss model or am I better served with another stalker or some desperate mercs?

Thanks for all the advice guys. I play three other tabletop games atm (probably the first three you can think of) so I'm an old hand at the more obvious gameplay basics like using terrain to block LoS, sacrificing models for the greater good, etc. I'm still in the early, really excited stage for this game, though, (you know how it is) and the days between the weekends of gaming leave me chomping at the bit lol.

I think watcher has two points I've seen. against terrifying/harmless pitiful models, it's almost a must, because while it's damage is only 0/1/1 it auto removes one of those if it goes off. other than that, not a great attacker.

It's real utility is that it has fly and a move of 7, and it is significant, amking it one of guild's best objective grabbers.

That being siad, I often find I'm sitting there with it, trying to decidee what to do, beccause I can't effectivly manouver it.

... but I'll need some game time to figure out whether or not my opponents consider it enough of a threat to shoot it with normal ranged attacks.

Yes, but usually not before you've blasted half of their crew into oblivion.

About the Watcher: it's definitely worth its points. It's fantastic in any objective-based strategy. Its ability to sift through cards is okay, but often doesn't do you much good. Taking away cover is great, especially for Sonnia - if you really have to nail something with a blast don't try to shoot it with the Watcher - just fly over, drop your flying flashlight into the cover and every bad guy within 4" lights up like a Christmas tree.

Personally, I'm still a fan of the Executioner, especially over the Peacekeeper, with Sonnia. When I first started using the Executioner it seemed like he always died quietly before doing anything, but if used correctly and screened, he can be a real pain once he gets up close. It's another cause of concern for your opponent: take out the Executioner closing down on me, or worry about Sam out on my flank?

You don't see him in many lists these days, since he's not new and shiny, but I still find him very effective.

I like the look of the executioner, his self-heal, and his ability to one-shot things, but in this list I see it this way: For dealing with big gribbly constructs, Sonnia can one-shot them just as well and from range. For big gribbly living things, Hamelin can walk and push them through a couple of fire walls or Samael can just execute them, again all at range. I like melee troops, don't get me wrong (people underestimate just how hard witchling stalkers can hit for, I'm noticing) but I want a good mix of range and melee. The only appealing thing for me about the executioner, in this list at least, is his ability to take counters off the board, but again Hamelin does that also. I'm just not sure the big fatty fits the play style I seem to be developing.

Yeah without assistance his threat is 8" pathetically slow. Melee expert might be broken though for his ss. All three core masters can speed him up. Lady J can give him melee expert which puts his threat to 10" respectable. Sonia can block los for him to get in range. Perdita can increase his threat to am incredible distance with obey make him an almost must include with the Ortegas.

He is an awesome that can fit in any core list but he takes support from a master to make him usable which means less AP for the master to do what she needs. Totems can be used inleu of master's. For me Sonia is the hardest to justify his use in because flame wall is hard to cast with totem.

Yeah without assistance his threat is 8" pathetically slow. Melee expert might be broken though for his ss. All three core masters can speed him up. Lady J can give him melee expert which puts his threat to 10" respectable. Sonia can block los for him to get in range. Perdita can increase his threat to am incredible distance with obey make him an almost must include with the Ortegas.

He is an awesome that can fit in any core list but he takes support from a master to make him usable which means less AP for the master to do what she needs. Totems can be used inleu of master's. For me Sonia is the hardest to justify his use in because flame wall is hard to cast with totem.

Generally speaking, early game Sonnia is not going to be hurling lots of Flame Bursts, and that's the only time the Executioner will -again, generally- need that support. Personally, I've had lots of success with the Executioner once I figured out how to use him, and he runs just as well with Sonnia as he does with Perdita.

YMMV, of course, he's not always an auto-include in my lists, but he's always an option.

Flame wall only offers los support so you can move him up for turn 3 wrecking. He is still one of the lowest threat ranges guild has to offer and he is a large investment. Flame wall is great but to have to position for one model is not worth the effort. Lucius is a viable add on but now that is half a crew for that and Lucius offers much better support for other cheaper models.

@ cat 8 tomes is what is needed by best totem not easy and not worth burning an ss to cast is my point. Sonia offers the least support to the executioner plain and simple. He offers to Sonia a giant beatstick which her main credit doesnt have so it is not that I don't see a reason to bring him with Sonia it is that she is the one you have to work the hardest with to get the most out of him.