Dreadfleet reivew

I've read another review that said some of the games were pretty much determined by one throw of the dice. Said it was very disappointing after playing for two hours to just have something so arbitrary determine the final outcome.

They didn't really elaborate about what exactly happened there.

What are your thoughts....can you foresee this problem?

Interesting review, but I felt the game was about £20 over priced and not a well built game at all. Then again, I would have much preferred to have seen the return of Man o' War instead, which was fun and kept me entertained for a long time (when I took a break from WFb, 40k and Epic, plus finally stopping playing Advanced Heroquest long enough to pick up a new game, lol).

There are faulty copies out there (the 3 guys I know that bought the game both had horribly miscast sprues and could only get a refund since mail order had none to replace them with) and one of them had a torn mat and missing rule book!

While I'm sure it;s sold, I was certainly not sold on this game and was interested until I tried it out.

I've read another review that said some of the games were pretty much determined by one throw of the dice. Said it was very disappointing after playing for two hours to just have something so arbitrary determine the final outcome.

They didn't really elaborate about what exactly happened there.

What are your thoughts....can you foresee this problem?

I don't think the dice have as much to do with it as the damage pile and the "fate" deck. I know more than a few times either one of us got screwed on the fate draw ( i got eaten by a sea monster, he got speared by the sea god). The dice rolls are, in my opinion, pretty well balanced in terms of dice games. Randomness is to be expected.

A problem i see is that while your ship can be hit for a CRAP ton of damage if you don't draw the hull cards you don't sink. This i found to be the biggest problem as i had inflicted a large amound of damage on the raverger but in the end sunk becuase i drew hull damage cards and he didn't.

In response to Lonley Path. As far as the pricing goes i still hold that it is a pretty good price for what you get, but it is certainly expensive. It is sad to hear that there were miscast peices out there. So far i have been present in the assembling of two sets and all the dry fits have been great. The only reason i picked it up so fast was that i was granted a pretty nice discount to purchase it. Coincidently the Warstore has 20% off GW stuff which bumps the price down to about 95 USD which isnt so bad (though shipping always gets you ...)

As far as product replacement and customer service goes goes we all know GW sucks... one of the reasons i hang out over on the wyrder side of things.

In the end for me it is about the beautiful models and solid core rules. I always have to go into a game like this with the expectation that i might have a bad run of luck, but as long as the opponent is nice and the ambience of the peices are there i am happy to laugh at any random failings my fleet has (as a side note, we had the raveger roll for his 4 set ablaze after i sank and he sank as well so i guess it all evens out :)) The only real problem i have is the lack of throw down and play rules. Granted i have not broken the rule books spine yet, when that happens if i don't find a generic way to play independantly of scenarios then i will be a little sad.

Thanks for a great dialologue about this too. I think this game deserves some discussion as we havn't seen a game like this come out of the evil empire for quite some time (decades?)

Edited by AntiZombie

The only real problem i have is the lack of throw down and play rules. Granted i have not broken the rule books spine yet, when that happens if i don't find a generic way to play independantly of scenarios then i will be a little sad.

:whip:Well get on that!!! I gotta know before they sell out.:spank:

:whip:Well get on that!!! I gotta know before they sell out.:spank:

I suggest just picking it up, the stuff in the box is AMAZING and will be a real challenge to paint.

I acutally snapped it up so they didnt sell out :). you know how fanatic games go with GW.

And to your smilies i say :rocketwho

Edited by AntiZombie

icon_432_100x125.jpg

cytotec is a medication with anti acidic activity used to prevent formation of stomach ulcers in patients who take NSAIDs such as aspirin or ibuprofen. Its main component is Misoprostol, it is a synthetic prostaglandin, the substance which is produced either in a stomach. Their role consists in protecting inner lining of the stomach from destructive action of NSAIDs which are supposed to destruct natural prostaglandins in the stomach.

Edited by bobpark

In response to Lonley Path. As far as the pricing goes i still hold that it is a pretty good price for what you get, but it is certainly expensive. It is sad to hear that there were miscast peices out there. So far i have been present in the assembling of two sets and all the dry fits have been great. The only reason i picked it up so fast was that i was granted a pretty nice discount to purchase it. Coincidently the Warstore has 20% off GW stuff which bumps the price down to about 95 USD which isnt so bad (though shipping always gets you ...)

I just miss having a friend that works for GW since he'd sneak me his 50% staff discount ;) If I'd had that available I would have just bought the game anyway, regardless of what I thought. I'd have made a mint on Ebay at a later date, lol!

When he left GW I stopped buying Baneblades and Shadowswords :D

I just miss having a friend that works for GW since he'd sneak me his 50% staff discount ;) If I'd had that available I would have just bought the game anyway, regardless of what I thought. I'd have made a mint on Ebay at a later date, lol!

When he left GW I stopped buying Baneblades and Shadowswords :D

He really got away with that...?

With similar antics at my store (I was never involved - 100% true!) it prompted a national $$$$$$$$storm and clampdown on Staff spendings.

As far as product replacement and customer service goes goes we all know GW sucks... one of the reasons i hang out over on the wyrder side of things.

Thats not been my experience at all...GW may be guilty of a lot of things in my opinion, but I've never had a problem with their customer service..

They replaced a whole battalion for me because 1 sprue was missing! 1 Sprue....... Thats pretty good service.

Might have changed since I suppose, we're talking 5 years ago.

To be fair to GW, that was always my experience too.

Years ago when the prototype rules for BFG were in White Dwarf I bought a bunch of the old Space Fleet ships from mail order to get a couple of fleets in.

One part of my order was wrong so I asked for a replacement. Time after time they sent the wrong ship :P

It was supposed to be a Gothic cruiser, but they sent a Tyrant cruiser, a Dominator, and what I later learned to be a Mars Factory ship.

Each time they tried again. I was starting to feel i might just look like some jerk telling lies to get more free stuff, but they still kept going until they finally got it right.

He really got away with that...?

With similar antics at my store (I was never involved - 100% true!) it prompted a national $$$$$$$$storm and clampdown on Staff spendings.

He got away with it all the time. When he eventually left he placed a giant order that arrived in 5 very large boxes and only about half of 1 box was his stuff, lol. 1 guy ordered about £1000 of stuff to make the most of it.

As for replacing faulty products, they now require you to return the one you bought before they will send out another. This practice started in 2009. I had to send back 3 Ork Biker boxes (the current ones) since they were all missing the same sprue, lol. This change was brought on by peopletaking advantage to get free kits when the one they bought was fine. Heck, I know a guy that did it and got 2 extra Armoured Companies when Apoc first came out. I wish I'd thought of it at the time, hahaha.

Edited by LonelyPath

He got away with it all the time. When he eventually left he placed a giant order that arrived in 5 very large boxes and only about half of 1 box was his stuff, lol. 1 guy ordered about £1000 of stuff to make the most of it.

What happened in our store was ridiculous abuse of the discount in a scam-like manner and very poorly executed.

Basically, staff member comes in with his pal and buys a few hundred quid worth of stuff. He has it run through on discount then theatrically turns to his pal saying "happy birthday!"

Then the pal theatrically replies, "thank you! Oh, but I already have this stuff; I'd best get a refund!" and they proceed to refund the lot at standard price, thereby making themselves a few hundred quid at GW's expense.

If they waited a couple of weeks between transactions they might have got away with it...