"Obstacle" Terrain Designation

Hatchethead

Question

This is less a rules question and more a curiosity on my part:

How does your gaming group handle terrain pieces like fences, low walls, hedges, etc?

Do you impose a movement penalty when crossing them (severe terrain) or do you consider them open? In other words, do they hinder movement or are they considered for cover and LoS purposes only?

Part of me thinks there should be a penalty, but I'm also fond of the GW 8th edition approach to "obstacles", wherein they do not impose movement penalties. Double movement seems like a lot for merely hopping a low wall, but should they be ignored completely for purposes of movement?

If you DO impose a penalty, how do you determine it? Do you measure the base of the piece as per the RM, is it a set number you've determined as a bit of a house rule? Just curious.

Thanks for reading.

6 answers to this question

Secondary question:

Is there a point where you force a model to climb instead of "vault"? We use the Ht stat. If an obstacle is shorter than the model, they can scramble over with minimal loss of momentum (1" per Ht of obstacle). However, if the Ht of the obstacle is equal or higher than the model, they must climb as per the RM (assuming the surface is climbable).

Thoughts?