Neverborn Kidnap, Coryphee Duet and Pacify

Anselmus

Question

Hi there,

just had my third game of Malifaux and a few things were unclear to us:

1. Can the Neverborn player with the Kidnap (Neverborn only) scheme choose totems as targets?

2. Can the Coryphee Duet "Dance to Live" three times in an activation?

3. Pandora casted Pacify on Colette, forcing her to be activated after everyone else has activated. Can she still be activated with the Maniquins companion skill?

4. Can Candy heal herself (ie target herself with the spell)? Dont know the name of the spell right now.

5. Can an engaged model cast spells?

Thanks in advance

Anselmus

16 answers to this question

1. Yes, the scheme does not say insignificant models don't count.

2. No, the model can make 3 Different (0) actions.

3. Yes she can but only if Colette is the last model in the crew to activate. If you would still have models in your crew to activate after the companioned models activated, a model affected by pacify may not companion.

4. Yes she can, a model always has line of sight to itself.

5. A model can cast spells as long as the spell does not have the :ranged symbol next to the spells range.

1. Can the Neverborn player with the Kidnap (Neverborn only) scheme choose totems as targets?

I don't know of any reason why not.

2. Can the Coryphee Duet "Dance to Live" three times in an activation?

I believe this is a 0 action which would mean only once per activation.

3. Pandora casted Pacify on Colette, forcing her to be activated after everyone else has activated. Can she still be activated with the Maniquins companion skill?

Assuming that she is activated after everyone else not affected by pacify then yes, I think.

4. Can Candy heal herself (ie target herself with the spell)? Dont know the name of the spell right now.

If there is no resist or the spell says friendly in it then she can heal herself

5. Can an engaged model cast spells?

Thanks in advance

Anselmus

Just because i am unsure of this, i am questioning, Why can the Duet not use Live for Dance multiple times (yes a little broken if they can, multiple healing flips for fun and all) But it does not say in the rule book under their entry that it is a once per activation ability?

So im just curious where it says that? :)

Just because i am unsure of this, i am questioning, Why can the Duet not use Live for Dance multiple times (yes a little broken if they can, multiple healing flips for fun and all) But it does not say in the rule book under their entry that it is a once per activation ability?

Live for Dance is a (0) action. Models can only take one (0) action per activation. Subconscious Actions allows the model to take 3 Different (0) actions. The (0) actions all have to be different ones. You cannot choice the same one twice or three times. Only once.

(+2) Subconscious Actions: This model may take three DIFFERENT (0) Actions during its activation.

Emphasis mine.

;)

EDIT: I see Fading beat me to me to it. :)

Edited by Hatchethead

Thanks for the hints. Just need to read the stat cards more often ;)

Though, the Pacify/COmpanion thing seems a bit odd. I'd say Companion canceles out Pacify (eg, as slow does fast) as it is played after Pacify. Is this covered by the rules somewhere?

Anselmus

Yes but I don't remember where. Its about resolving abilities/effects, must versus may. Must abilities/effects take precedence over abilities/effects that may happen. Pacify means your models MUST go last. Companion means you MAY activate simultaneously. Pacify is a MUST so it overrides Companion allowing it to activate early.

Thanks for the hints. Just need to read the stat cards more often ;)

Though, the Pacify/COmpanion thing seems a bit odd. I'd say Companion canceles out Pacify (eg, as slow does fast) as it is played after Pacify. Is this covered by the rules somewhere?

Anselmus

See "Breaking the rules" on p.7 - CANNOT abilities override CAN abilities.

Companion is a CAN ability (because you nominate any number of models with Companion to activate from 0-however many you have...)

Pacify is a CANNOT ability (because it stops a model from being activated before other models who have not been pacified).

See "Breaking the rules" on p.7 - CANNOT abilities override CAN abilities.

Companion is a CAN ability (because you nominate any number of models with Companion to activate from 0-however many you have...)

Pacify is a CANNOT ability (because it stops a model from being activated before other models who have not been pacified).

And on pg. 6 it is under Timing: must before can

Thank you all for clarifying.

totems are minions actually sorry

But you cannot companion if you have been pacified because you are activating at the same time as another model which does not make you last

You can still companion if the model is the last model to activate. They are still separate activations. Its why abilities like poison don't affect the model until they actually activate.

Ophelia can interrupt the Kin Companion chain to force a non-Kin model to activate before the rest of the Kin.

Pacify is no different. The model just has to go last in the Companion chain, and has to be the last model to activate in the crew.

You can still companion if the model is the last model to activate. They are still separate activations. Its why abilities like poison don't affect the model until they actually activate.

Ophelia can interrupt the Kin Companion chain to force a non-Kin model to activate before the rest of the Kin.

Pacify is no different. The model just has to go last in the Companion chain, and has to be the last model to activate in the crew.

http://wyrd-games.net/forum/showthread.php?t=25226&highlight=pacify

as stated, a model activating simultaneous is not activating first or last and as such is not following the protocal of pacify and as such cannot companion.

When models companion they all activate at the same exact time, you just activate them individually.