Santiago's Leadstorm, Ranged Pulse

Hatchethead

Question

Considering the recent Detonate Tanks ruling, I want to confirm that I'm playing Santiago's Leadstorm correctly.

(2) Leadstorm

(CC: 14/Rst: Df /Rg::ranged :pulse6) Dg 4.

Unlike Detonate Tanks, which is a (1) Action, this is a (2) Spell, and it includes a :ranged classifying it as a ranged attack. It does not generate a duel, it merely inflicts Dg 4.

So:

1. Santiago cannot use this in melee, due to the ranged icon?

2. Despite the ranged icon, I assume no randomization for melee, everyone is targeted by the pulse? I'm not sure about this. What about the +1 Df for being in melee? It's not a Strike, but it is an attack, so I'm on the fence either way.

3. Does cover come into play in a Df resist duel? Does cover only apply to opposed Strikes, or does it apply here?

4. The ranged icon would indicate that Santiago needs LoS, even if a model is within the pulse?

I have a regular opponent who often uses the Santiago. Clarification would be appreciated.

Cheers!

Edited by Hatchethead

19 answers to this question

Every model that could be targetted in the pulse has to make a simple duel against his casting value.

He doesn't need LoS to a model for it to be targetted by the spell.

He still can't use it while in Melee.

It doesn't need to randomise for models in melee Melee.

It counts as both Ranged, a Pulse and a Spell for defensive Abilities and Triggers

Edited by WEiRD sKeTCH

So:

1. Santiago cannot use this in melee, due to the ranged icon?

Correct.

2. Despite the ranged icon, I assume no randomization for melee, everyone is targeted by the pulse? I'm not sure about this. What about the +1 Df for being in melee? It's not a Strike, but it is an attack, so I'm on the fence either way.

It's not a Ranged Attack in the normal notion. No Randomization as there are no "Targets".

3. Does cover come into play in a Df resist duel? Does cover only apply to opposed Strikes, or does it apply here?

No. See above.

4. The ranged icon would indicate that Santiago needs LoS, even if a model is within the pulse?

No. It's a Pulse. The Ranged Icon is so he cannot use it in Melee.

So the :pulse basically supersedes all targeting restrictions imposed by the ranged icon? It cannot be used in melee, which makes sense. I was expecting LoS to be a factor, unlike Detonate Tanks, if only due to the inclusion of the :ranged (which Detonate Tanks lacks), and it makes sense that LoS would come into play considering the fluff. Still, thanks Sketch and Ratty for the ruling!

Edited by Hatchethead

So the :pulse basically supersedes all targeting restrictions imposed by the ranged icon? It cannot be used in melee, which makes sense. I was expecting LoS to be a factor, unlike Detonate Tanks, if only due to the inclusion of the :ranged (which Detonate Tanks lacks), and it makes sense that LoS would come into play considering the fluff. Still, thanks for the ruling.

He's spinning around really fast and firing his gun.

Why do you think that a Pulse needs LoS?

He's spinning around really fast and firing his gun.

Why do you think that a Pulse needs LoS?

Because an individual crouched behind a wall would be able to avoid the storm of lead simply by keeping his head down, whereas some poor sap caught out in the open wouldn't be so lucky.

Pulses are infinitly high and therefore can draw LoS to anyone behind anything, regardless of Ht. That said, a ranged attack cannot, and it would make sense (in terms of fluff) for the bullets from Leadstorm to adhere to the LoS rules imposed by the :ranged.

BUT, from a strict rules perspective, if pulse properties supersede ranged restrictions, that makes sense as well. As we all know, rules and balance trump fluff-based logic everytime, and with good reason.

because an individual crouched behind a wall would be able to avoid the storm of lead simply by keeping his head down, whereas some poor sap caught out in the open wouldn't be so lucky.

Pulses are infinitly high and therefore can draw los to anyone behind anything, regardless of ht. That said, a ranged attack cannot, and it would make sense (in terms of fluff) for the bullets from leadstorm to adhere to the los rules imposed by the :ranged.

But, from a strict rules perspective, if pulse properties supersede ranged restrictions, that makes sense as well. As we all know, rules and balance trump fluff-based logic everytime, and with good reason.

blam blam blam pt-eeeowww!!