UK Malifaux Masters Invitational

magicpockets

Everyone had print outs of the feb tournament results showing round by round match ups. If you need a copy on excel tomorrow Adam I can provide you with one? Just let me know. The match up got done on Swiss match ups like all my tournaments. So I'm sorry if you think I've fixed it, it's quite the opposite, and it will continue to be drawn by Swiss from round 1 results onwards.

Id like to stress here of course, I've never fixed a tournament match up in my life, and hopefully people attending my tournaments will stand by me on this one and new comers will see this at the GT

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No offense to my cousins across the pond but you UK guys are kinda intense. I don't think the US Malifaux tourney scene has nearly as much drama.

So with the fact that US rankings are now starting does this mean I need to start reporting my tournies to some site or some such?

No offense to my cousins across the pond but you UK guys are kinda intense. I don't think the US Malifaux tourney scene has nearly as much drama.

So with the fact that US rankings are now starting does this mean I need to start reporting my tournies to some site or some such?

You have to remember that with the UK being so small it means that the players come across each other more, it probably gives rise to more room for disagreements between the players at the top of the rankings who take such matters seriously, whereas in the US I imagine the top players may be from completely different coastlines and may never even play each other.

I believe one of the pro's put forward of rankings was the drawing in of new players. I'm fairly sure any players taking a look at the system and seeing these threads will not be interested in attending due to the nature of the discourse taking place.

What is it, 3 months in, and there are already arguments about score fixing?

Edit: Whilst trying to steer clear of the merits of rankings, I do know that a number of top warmachine players who are not switched on with RHQ plan on doing so before telling the organiser where to stick the invitation thereby making the composition of the tourney nothing like a top 16.

Edited by Chucklemonkey

You have to remember that with the UK being so small it means that the players come across each other more, it probably gives rise to more room for disagreements between the players at the top of the rankings who take such matters seriously, whereas in the US I imagine the top players may be from completely different coastlines and may never even play each other.

I believe one of the pro's put forward of rankings was the drawing in of new players. I'm fairly sure any players taking a look at the system and seeing these threads will not be interested in attending due to the nature of the discourse taking place.

What is it, 3 months in, and there are already arguments about score fixing?

I believe both the events in question are before rankings got introduced and I don't believe for a second that Jo would fix anything. The Malifaux events I have been to run by her have been the best events I have ever been to and everyone should go to them.

I believe both the events in question are before rankings got introduced and I don't believe for a second that Jo would fix anything. The Malifaux events I have been to run by her have been the best events I have ever been to and everyone should go to them.

I wasn't implying anybody fixed anything, just saying that there already seems to be an argument about it and that can't be good by anyone's standard.

I have a question for you, tournament organisers.

If someone does something wrong and the game proceeds, and it is later (during the game) found out that they did something wrong and it was to their benefit, what would you do?

PS one thing Ive learned over my too many years is that if you dont want to be accused of fixing draws, you have to make them public. Major sports do it for a reason. Simples!

Edited by Calmdown

first important things,

you still have skittles in the UK ? wow, i want a ton.

in what i see here, over belgium, in a lot of games mistakes are made, disbenifiets forgotten, rules played wrong.

nothing intended to be cheated, just a new crew or a misinterpretation of the rules.

as it sometimes hurts the moment itself, it should al be forgotten over a good pint (and maybe a decent discussion).

as for the fixing part. we here somethings fix oponents.

on tournies a lot of us are from the same club, so we play against eachoter every week. it is fun and nice if we go elsewhere we can play against other players we don't offen see.

would feel wrong, traveling to the UK, and then playing 5 games against my own budys.

off course, its a choice of the organiser.

so, obey your organiser, wheter you like it or not, they have the last call, putting their effort and time in it, so we can play.

grtz

merces

Craig, no need to delete your post - if it's how you feel fair enough, why should you put anything else.

I have very different recollections to you and re the GT I dropped it because at the time of the event when I "complained" to Jo about what had happened it was only in the conversation afterwards I realised you guys were friends and my objection was going nowhere.

Re the HD, very different recollection and I still remember mine and james' surprise we were playing each other. And weird how I've been saying the same thing since it happened and it's only now I've put it on a public forum that 'explainations' have appeared.

Like I say, in the big scheme of things (little toys and fairy tales so to speak) Im not too bothered and I certainly don't have hard feelings for anyone, I just pick which events I go to now. Have to say though I find it kinda funny that I'm the player everyone (even the UKs "top player") wants to dodge - caustic aura FTW I guess ;)

On a side, Sunday should be interesting now :D

Edited by magicpockets

Given we were both joint overnight leaders at the event Adam I was in no way surprised to be playing you the next morning. I for one have no doubts that the event was fairly run by a dedicated individual that gives a phenomenal amount of her time to Malifaux in the UK.

No one cared when you 'rage quit' the hobby before. Trying to stir up trouble again now is once again a transparent attempt to poison and gain sympathy from the community.

It's sad Adam, it's sad and it has to stop.

Edited by mythicFOX
SPAG

Adam, please don't knock toy soldiers and fairy tales. They make the world go round.

From my recollection of the Ho Down (and I was sat round the table for most of the discussion, cos I'm a lazy lay-about and have nothing better to do =p) the draw had not been done, and conversation turned to it being interesting if Adam and Craig played again, after their GT dispute. Jo is awesome, and I don't believe she would let personal opinion make a decision.

Stuff happens, and life's a beach. Or something like that . . .

Tim

I have a question for you, tournament organisers.

If someone does something wrong and the game proceeds, and it is later (during the game) found out that they did something wrong and it was to their benefit, what would you do?

PS one thing Ive learned over my too many years is that if you dont want to be accused of fixing draws, you have to make them public. Major sports do it for a reason. Simples!

Firstly as soon as something has been identified, investigate, try to fix if possible and ensure it doesn't happen again, all in as fair a manner as possible. (e.g. in an AT-43 tournie I ran someone had an illegal list that I'd missed. This was corrected and his points from round 1 amended after a quiet word with the individual. No problem).

As for the draws, I'll be using Ratty's tournament organiser which takes away any issues past round one. Round one can be redone, and I'd do that to try to ensure a fair balance of round one games (such asavoiding same club matches) - it doesn't allow specific match-ups.

At the end of the day a good TO will be running events on a regular basis with consistent or increasing numbers of entrants to the benefit of those taking part. Hell, we're certainly not in it for the fame or fortune!

Given we were both joint overnight leaders at the event Adam I was in no way surprised to be playing you the next morning. I for one have no doubts that the event was fairly run by a dedicated individual that gives a phenomenal amount of her time to Malifaux in the UK.

No one cared when you 'rage quit' the hobby before. Trying to stir up trouble again now is once again a transparent attempt to poison and gain sympathy from the community.

It's sad Adam, it's sad and it has to stop.

And out comes the clique and the personal attacks, politics in action. I know there's no point arguing this as the certain vocal majority will stick up for each other no matter what, just like with rankings and undoubtedly with the upcoming Masters event.

(for the record that doesn't include clousseau and oshova who've posted above)

Just sad that anyone who disagrees or dare step out of line is cast out as a trouble maker, over reacting, unreasonable or "in the minority". And I love how bringing up something only in the context of the thread and without specifics which I've bit my toungue over for a year is me trying to *add dramatic reverb* "poison the community".

I contribute more than most to this community, and even parade around with a big fake grin on about rankings for the sake of the community, and the only reason Im getting abuse is because I've got the balls to stand up and disagree and say what I think rather than join in with the brown nosing that's so prevalent in the UK scene.

Am I polite and courteous to everyone on the scene? Of course. Do I want to get on with everyone I play against? Sure. Am I going to lose sleep if a few narrow minded people want to stew about how much they dislike me for speaking my mind? No, because at the end of the day I simply dont care.

Adam, please don't knock toy soldiers and fairy tales. They make the world go round.

From my recollection of the Ho Down (and I was sat round the table for most of the discussion, cos I'm a lazy lay-about and have nothing better to do =p) the draw had not been done, and conversation turned to it being interesting if Adam and Craig played again, after their GT dispute. Jo is awesome, and I don't believe she would let personal opinion make a decision.

Stuff happens, and life's a beach. Or something like that . . .

Tim

I'm not sure I was there for that? Im referring to a chat between me, Jo, Craig and James at the end of the first days gaming.

Ordered an iPhone 4S btw - let's see how Siri copes with Malifaux ;)

And weird how I've been saying the same thing since it happened and it's only now I've put it on a public forum that 'explainations' have appeared.

You haven't been saying anything since it happened as everytime I've tried to talk to you about it you've played it down! This is the first time it's been brought up publically so the first time you've given me a chance to explain.

And out comes the clique and the personal attacks, politics in action

And calling me a cheat and a match fixer isn't a personal attack...?

and undoubtedly with the upcoming Masters event.

I don't know if you've read the thread you linked, but I'm disagreeing with it?

You haven't been saying anything since it happened as everytime I've tried to talk to you about it you've played it down! This is the first time it's been brought up publically so the first time you've given me a chance to explain.

And calling me a cheat and a match fixer isn't a personal attack...?

I don't know if you've read the thread you linked, but I'm disagreeing with it?

The ironic thing is your the person I'm least p*seed at over everything. The gremlin thing, not quite as clean cut as you say (ophellia was at the back as I had assassinate iirc, it was the main gunline in the middle which annihilated everything) but the bottom line is who knows what would have happened. My issue is what happened after I spoke to the TO about it.

Re "cheat and match fixer" being personal attacks, I should have said "baseless" personal attacks ;) there's no way you didn't know about "whoops" and you did cry off about facing me at the HD (EDIT- from the results you posted it seems like you were right to insist the draw was done fair - I'd assumed it was being done fair and I'd ended up facing you based on results and then it got changed afterwards.) But that's your prerogative as a player, like I say my real issue was how the TO handled it.

And I know your disagreeing at the top of the thread about masters (with some very good reasons why its a bad idea) but equally you're also saying you'll "probably" come round to them. Time will tell.

For the record, Craig there are no hard feelings on my end towards you beyond wry frustration.

Edited by magicpockets