UK Malifaux Masters Invitational

magicpockets

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As said, rulespack soon! Jo's a busy wee lass atm.

From what I know from OTHER masters (Note; may all be wrong)

- Top 16 in the rankings (As of some point mid-December) get invited, and if someone can't come they keep going down the rankings until 16 can come.

- Probably January/Early Feb

- Maelstrom

- Jo's running it.

I will try and be slightly less trollike . . . slightly more constructive . . . but maybe just as negative.

I agree with your posts over on that forum about it being too soon to tell. I have talked to people with both sides of view on the whole rankings shennigans. And personally, I don't care as long as it's not affecting how people play. Yes there are people who play filth to win with filth. And there are people who play with 'harder' masters (ie Marcus) as a challenge. And the rankings system supports both types of these players to try and excel in the field of their choice.

But when push comes to shove, there are 16 spaces open, and more than 16 people who really want in . . . then you're going to be seeing more filth lists at what would be seen as "more relaxed" tournaments. Now, I don't mind travelling all the way up, down, or across the country to get beaten by people playing for fun, and having fun playing . . . but getting beaten by Hamelin 3 times in a day wouldn't be fun . . .

I'm not saying this WILL happen . . . I'm saying it's a possibility. It might turn out that rankings makes people play more creatively . . . it's too early to tell. And therefore too early to decide on a Masters-style tournament.

Not that it really matters for me, as I don't think I will be in the top 16 anyway =p

Tim

To echo Tim's (Oshova's) and Dave's (Clousseau) view above, this is why I posted this thread - to try and find out what's going on and why we're looking at a "Masters" event so soon after introducing rankings "to see what happens". I just don't get how when the main concern about rankings was that they'd make Malifaux too competitive someone thought a Masters event would be a good idea - surely that's bound to result in a change in dynamic.

I for one (speaking as 4th place at the minute) will not be going to any such event, just like I'm not bothering with the GT for the same reason.

Edited by magicpockets

Well the only things i'm doing for it is writing the rules pack, Maelstrom is my local games store after all and i'm their local Henchman, its the way that stuff works.

I'm organising prize support and being the admin on the day so i won't even be contacting the entrants i suspect! I'm just the admin nerd ;)

I dont have an opinion one way or another when it comes to rankings so i dont really have anything to add.

Adam - You advised me to rank the GT a few months back and said you couldn't make it due to work stuff so i feel it unfair that you publicly come out and say its why you aren't attending. I work really hard to make the GT fun and fair for all so i'd appreciate the GT being left out of this thread as the two events are totally unrelated. I'm on the other end of a PM for things such as that. I'd rather this stuff didn't get personal is all

All the details are on the Warhammer Forum. When I know more, you will know more.

I think everyone should just chill :) Its just toy soldiers at the end of the day :)

If u want to go to the masters that's cool if you don't want to that's cool. I would like to be good enough to go but I'm not :P

The most important thing to remember is don't be a douche when you play regardless :) and we will all get along fine.

I think everyone should just chill :) Its just toy soldiers at the end of the day :)

If u want to go to the masters that's cool if you don't want to that's cool. I would like to be good enough to go but I'm not :P

The most important thing to remember is don't be a douche when you play regardless :) and we will all get along fine.

Marcus is Bent ;) So he is a douche when he plays....

I'm 17th Alan, if you wear a dress you can go as me :) you'd probably play better too

Some words of wisdom there Fulgrima :)

Have to agree with everything you said... Can we all play nice and be civil?

Adam - You advised me to rank the GT a few months back and said you couldn't make it due to work stuff so i feel it unfair that you publicly come out and say its why you aren't attending. I work really hard to make the GT fun and fair for all so i'd appreciate the GT being left out of this thread as the two events are totally unrelated. I'm on the other end of a PM for things such as that. I'd rather this stuff didn't get personal is all

Let's take a step back here for some context. After being contacted by a few people, including from Wyrd, I agreed to support the rankings for the sake of the community. My PM to you about ranking the GT was in response to you saying you weren't sure about ranking it, I suggested that as the main event in the UK it should be ranked otherwise it would devalue rankings which we needed to make work.

Re me being "busy" on the GT weekend, in the spirit of "supporting rankings" I thought that was a polite way to excuse myself from the event. I didn't feel saying I couldn't be bothered taking the time out to go when I was literally cheated out of 1st place last time and nothing was done about it, and then at the Ho Down I was due to play the same person again, they told you they didn't want to play me and then mysteriously the next day I was playing someone else instead (and they again went on to win and I just missed out)

I don't care about winning or losing, but I do care about tournaments being impartial and fair - and I'm certainly not in it for the politics, popularity contests or to waste my time. And re rankings, scores are scores - but I'll only play at events where I know my score is a reflection of what happens on the table.

Sorry Jo, but call me out in public an I have to put it into context.

I dont think masters is necessarily a bad idea, but masters when you have a ranking system that is so young (and hence only really includes people based on a few tournaments) is a bit premature surely?

Ugh, not even been to a tournament yet and the scene seems to be self destructing already...

It wasn't a calling out! Just voicing that it felt personal. I'm as entitled to have feelings like everyone else. I don't organise rankings, I don't have a clue why it's being run, but I know the rules, so I'm writing a rules pack. GT is a separate thing so should be treated separately. That's all :)

I dont think masters is necessarily a bad idea, but masters when you have a ranking system that is so young (and hence only really includes people based on a few tournaments) is a bit premature surely?

Ugh, not even been to a tournament yet and the scene seems to be self destructing already...

I feel like I'm self destructing :D like some kind of pokemon. Dont worry, the tournament scene is really fun! Forums are just like texts and emails, stuff just gets read wrong and blown up. We all love each other really :) digital age reads with no emotion

Re me being "busy" on the GT weekend, in the spirit of "supporting rankings" I thought that was a polite way to excuse myself from the event. I didn't feel saying I couldn't be bothered taking the time out to go when I was literally cheated out of 1st place last time and nothing was done about it, and then at the Ho Down I was due to play the same person again, they told you they didn't want to play me and then mysteriously the next day I was playing someone else instead (and they again went on to win and I just missed out)

I don't care about winning or losing, but I do care about tournaments being impartial and fair - and I'm certainly not in it for the politics, popularity contests or to waste my time. And re rankings, scores are scores - but I'll only play at events where I know my score is a reflection of what happens on the table.

Adam, are you being f***ing serious?

Right first things first before I get *properly* started, an honest question;

- Was Leeds really that much worse compared to other events you could tell rankings were there?!?

And now to get started. It's late, I'm still a bit drunk and I'm aware of how annoyed I am right now so it's probably not gonna be very coherent.

But seriously Adam, wtf. Right. I can't even believe this has come again. Wow.

So you got cheated out of first place, despite the fact that the numerous emails I sent you post-GT you ignored, probably based on the fact they had reasonable and coherent conclusions on the game, such as you accusing me of not killing my own gremlins with 'Whoops' and me explaining Ophelia's aura, as well as the named Gremlin's 'used to it'. So I got no reply to them, brilliant.

And the time after that I tried to talk to you in person about it you said you were fine with it and it was forgotten (which I didn't believe at the time, but meh).

So all in all calling me an outright cheat, despite the fact that I said I may have made a couple errors during the game, in fact, I almost definetly did but that was based on inexperience and I probably missed a few tricks during the game as well disbenifiting me.

As said, I've tried talking to you about the game but you point blank refuse to hear it.

Now, onto the Ho-down.

At the end of saturday, you, myself and James were well aware where we stood, as in, 1st 2nd and 3rd. But not in that order.

I was 3rd, and you and James were top but there were only a couple of VPs in it, in fact, I'll get you the exact standings tomorrow. You then explicitly said to Jo you'd like to play me, to which I said I was a wimp. And you bigged it up all night about beating me, despite me knowing full well that it was you vs James. Jo was going along with it, for seriousness or fun I have no clue.

I did text Jo on the saturday night, again, I can get you the exact texts tomorrow if you want? Essentially all my text to Jo said was, "Please do the draw properly, if I'm against Adam that's cool but don't fix it."

So no you weren't due to play me again, that's a load of carp, and as said, I'll get you the full results tomorrow so you can double check the validity of your match up.

All the tournaments you've played in have been fair, and I admit I got lucky at the Ho Down/Leeds dodging you as you most certainly would have been a hard game.

I honestly expect this whole post to be deleted in the morning, so I'll copy and paste it so I can PM you it if need be. I genuinley thought we got on well, with a nice bit of banter, but honestly calling me a cheat, a match-fixer and the winner of popularity contests over a forum? Disgusting.

I'll gladly say hi to you if I see you again but don't expect me to do much more than that, as you've shown your nothing more than an immature troll who under handedly insults people.

As said, I'll update soon with the results and texts, just so you can see how much of a match fixer I am, then if you want to discuss this Adam, you can either PM me, start a new thread, or do what you did last time because you knew I was right, and ignore it.

If you really wanna chat, my numbers on my facebook account which you have, and you can give me a ring, I'm happy to discuss it over the phone to, friend.

Edit; Got the score sheet from my old computer. I can't remember exactly how the scoring system worked, but here we go.

Game/Adam's score/James' score/Craig's score/Ant's Score

1 5000 5500 5000 5000

2 5500 4500 6000 4500

3 5500 6000 4000 5000

Schemes 200 200 1000 1000

Bonus

Total 16200 16200 16000 15500

So. I fixed the matches did I?

Edited by ukrocky