Nino's Trigger happy into melee

Mako

Question

Apologies if this has been sorted out before, but I had a look around and couldn't see an answer.

I was playing Kirai v Ortegas tonight, and had a shikome in melee with papa loco (he was getting too close for comfort so I threw her in to pin him). Nino activated and chose to fire on the shikome.

First AP he fails his flip to choose which model he hits, hits papa, and chooses to fail the attack.

Second AP he hits the shikome, takes off a wound and activates trigger happy. He hits her, and activates it again. And again. Does 12 wounds in total but being a spirit the shikome scrapes through!

But we couldn't decide if the trigger happy shot requires a new flip to check which model is hit or not. We played that it didn't as the wording is 'after damaging defender...strike against defender' which would imply that once you've flipped to choose the shikome as the defender, you simply strike her again. Or does the melee count as the defender, in which case you have to flip to determine target for every trigger happy strike?

Cheers all

14 answers to this question

Ahh, so it works just like rapid fire/automatc fire in terms of flipping for target then? Makes sense, but while playing it looked like the definition of 'defender' could have gone either way!

Thanks for clearing that up, will make things a bit less horrendous getting my happy little ghosts into melee with the Ortegas (Mind you, the next thing I did was kill papa loco who then blew up my shikome, so it didn't make much difference this time!)

I could go either way on this one because it says an attack against the model that was hit. I am hoping we get a ruling on this because it has implications for the Overpower trigger also and I just want to make sure I am playing it the right way.

We play it as you need to flip to see who gets hit every time you shoot into the fray with the trigger.

Cheers for that Sketch, it made sense to me that you'd have to flip to see every time.

We played it wrong, which may have left my shikome alive at the end of it all! That said, she was really only there to kill papa loco in a ridiculously overkill way. It was the ortega players first game so we were mostly just seeing what happened. Good to know that next time we'll be able to get it right! And that I can use melee as cover if necessary to get to the annoying sod with the repeating rifle...

First AP he fails his flip to choose which model he hits, hits papa, and chooses to fail the attack.

I know this isnt your question, but this is illegal - you can never 'choose to fail' in Malifaux.

With resist duels specifically, you can choose to draw your total (and hence fail your resist flip), but that is the only legal case for this.

Well, he cheated in a low card on his attack, to drop him below papa's defence flip. If that ain't legal, it can go onto the end of the list of stuff we were figuring out as we went along and needed to check! But ta for mentioning it.

Mind you, worked out in my favour as his shot would probably have killed papa, leaving my shikome wide open to being hammered freely by trigger happy. Swine had a hand full of trigger suits!