Help! - First 50ss of Guild

mythicFOX

Hello Guild players.

I'm switching from my fluffy Neverborn to the filthy Guild for the 2012 UK tournament season. ;) I'm an experienced competitive tournament player and I'd ultimately expect to own more or less all of the Guild range. For now though I need to get started and get a crew I can learn the ropes with, and just as importantly start painting.

So here's my question;

If you could only have one Guild master (not Criid) and 50ss (ish) of models to use in 35ss random core encounters, what would your list be, and why?

Any help much appreciated.

I would say Perdita or Lady Justice are the most flexible Guild masters.

Hoffman is great, but has a hard time with certain strategies, like Recon, Line in the Sand, or anything that requires your crew to spread out.

For a 50ss pool, I would recommend having 2 Guardians. The Guardian is probably one of the best 7 point models in the game. Protect, his Df trigger, and his (0) actions are absurdly good.

Also, the Executioner is a great pair with a Guardian for melee. For ranged, Nino is an obvious choice and Sam Hopkins is probably the greatest ranged threat the Guild can bring. (Flaming Bullets + Rapid Fire = Death). Just remember to protect Sam with the Guardian.

Witchling Stalkers are great against Kirai and the Dreamer and Death Marshalls are great in general.

Lucius can give you the Lady Justice slingshot.

Two Austringers are a MUST. Period.

I'd recommend some Ronin and a Convict Gunslinger because those are great all purpose models. Von Schill would also be a great asset for mobility.

I feel like there's a big mobility model that I'm forgetting...

Oh, duh! Watchers! At least one, probably two.

I would recommend Lady J over Perdita (even though Perdita routinely slays my masters) because I think Lady J is a bit more resilient. Although, if your LGS has a bunch of people playing with status effects (Paralyze, Slow, etc.) then Perdita is pretty much a must have.

Hopefully that helps. In short, MUST HAVE: Guardian, Austringer, Watcher. After that, I think it's up to personal preference.

Edited by demkoenig

I'm pretty sure you can't have Von schill and the Student of Conflict, because if you hire any Friekorps you can't get non-friekorps mercenaries.

Guild toolbox models -

Witchling stalker for magic weapons and disrupt magic.

Nino for Sniper of doom

Austringer for more sniper

Guardian for protecting anything

Samuel Hopkins for ridiculus damage output.

These should be considered in all guild crews. Whilst they won't make all, they give you a first point of call for problems.

I would go for Lady J every time its just nice being able to beat things down with her :)

I would add Nino in obviously and I like having Ryle around as he doesn't always live up to it but he has decent potential. But I agree with Craig the master needs to be decided first as a Hoffman list will be different to all the others, you may want some more family for the companion tricks but im not to keen on alot of them and well Lady J is awesome :)

Watchers are great for Breakthrough and for preventing your opponent from getting Holdout. They can also strip off Pitiful, Terrifying (I think), and Harmless, opening up people like Kirai to Nino's shooting. Oh, and they can help you stack your deck.

Honestly, Lucius is CRAZY expensive; however, he can work wonders with Austringers (who are guardsman) and if you give him a Drill Sargent, he can do a little more. You don't have to run Guild Guard in a Lucius list because Lucius offers a bunch of utility, especially if you're using Lucius to slingshot Lady J across the board (a fast Lady J if you bring the Student of Conflict).

If you have the money, then I would say Lucius is, at the very least, interesting enough to buy and play with. It would be awesome to run Lucius and Austringers 8" up the board, Turn One, Casting Expert "Obey" (I forgot his name for that spell, Issue Orders?) the Austringer strike.

Then Turn Two, you've got Bolstered Austringers (Cb 9, right) covering 12" - 18" of the board, making 3 - 7 strikes per turn, ignoring cover and LoS. That covers your ranged requirements. Then slingshot Lady J up the board and go nuts on the survivors.

The list (@ 35ss) would be:

Lady J 8ss cache

Student of Conflict 4ss

Lucius 10ss

Guild Austringer x2 10ss

Guardian 7ss

Note: Turn One, the Guardian should cast Protect on Lady J and move. Then Turn Two, the Guardian should Stalwart and move twice. Make sure he is within 6" of Lady J in the close phase so he can overprotective into base with her.

I think one more melee model would be helpful, like an Executioner, and a model that can do some blasts/pulses, like Santiago or Papa.

Executioner would be to slow in this list I think. When they come out I would look at Exorcists to have against Undead.

I would possible drop Sam and put in Santiago instead. Sam can do more damage per shot but Santiago is a lot less of a glass canon. Since Guild has very few ways to heal models I prefer to stick to durable minions.

Thanks guys. Looking at the above, we're talking about something like;

• Lady J
  • Witchling x3
  • Sam Hopkins
  • Nino
  • Guardian
  • Watcher x2
  • Austringer x2

I make that about 52ss off the top of my head. So am I missing anything vital? Is there a working crew in that lot or do I need anything else to go with it?

Peacekeeper and Santiago are very missing from there. And Perdita. Not sure why you dont like Sonnia but her explosiveness is good to have on hand in non-fixed master too.

Everything else is basically all the models I use(d) too. Though I'm not a Nino fan.

well nice to see you coming over to the Guild misterFOX... you know how I like to run my guild... take Lucius with a few standard guardsmen to throw about and issue around for objectives and a few hard hitters like judge and lady J... then again I am quite boring with my lists.

However... Hoffman, Lucius, drill sergeant and student of conflict. with 2 wardens and 2 guild guards (or ryle if you want) will be fantastic for some strategies