Kirai's name

GamerGaeth

And I don't recall seeing anyone translate the various Kanji symbols I sprinkled around in Book 2. If I remember they spell out the code to unlock DaVinci's final vault where he kept his best secret stuff.

Thought about it, then remembered how hard it is to find things in a Kanji dictionary when you're looking by stroke order and pattern!

Thought about it, then remembered how hard it is to find things in a Kanji dictionary when you're looking by stroke order and pattern!

Yep. Figured that'd happen.

You'll all need to find someone that knows the stuff and can go "Oh, this one means '$$$$$$$$ed off bitch'" and whatnot. (let's see what the language filters do with that!)

Since you insist nerdelemental here we go. (apologies that the characters aren't here themselves but they had a previous engagement and couldn't come)

The first character which appears in "Alone in the Dark" on pg78 carved into Gideon's head means foe, enemy or revenge.

The remainder are in the order they are found in "Resurrection" on pg116.

The first to appear here means penalty or punishment

the second is guilty, sin or crime

the third is judge or decision

the final one is cover or veil

Okay, I've not said anything for a while, but I've been waiting to hear back form a friend of mine in Japan about this topic.

It is worth mentioning that Kirai means all of the following words:

Hate, dislike, distaste, aversion, disagreeable, unpleasant, disgusting, offensive, nasty, odious, obnoxious (according to my friend who said she can think of at least 7 words that can mean this), unwelcome, undesirable, loath.

Also, given the structure of how the Japanese use Kanji in constructive sentences (and names, this list is expanded to words that are not in Kanji, but are implied by the characters shared in the same phrase. This list includes:

Hate, hatred, hateful, dislike, disliked, disliking, distaste, distasteful, aversion, avoidance, disagreeable, unpleasant, disgusting, offensive, nasty, odious, obnoxious, unwelcome, undesirable, loath, loathing and loathsome.

When I mentioned that the other half of the name is Ankoku and also went on to say how the book gives the pronunciation, she went on to say that the pronunciation guide given is correct (at least as how it should be spoken) and that the meaning is Loathsome Shadow written as we'd write our names in the West. However, since the Japanese write and address others by family name first, the name somes out as either Street of the Unwelcome/Undesirables, Unpleasant District, Town Under Shadow or Shadow over Downtown, just to give some of the dozens of examples she gave (none of them featured the world Dark or Hate I might add).

Ankoku can mean dark/darkness, but not in context with the word Kirai is seems.

Weird how such simple changes can completely change the meaning of something. It apparently gets even more confusing when you introduce the words into hiragana and katakana, lonewords and modern hybridising, thankfully but she left those out.

Well, it would depend on the kanji it's written out with, so the simple answer is "no", since the kanji for "hate" and the kanji for "Spirit'/"lightning" are not the same.

BTW, KI does not mean "spirit" as in "ghost", but spirit as in "school spirit" or "lifeforce" (energy etc)....EX : "She's a very SPIRITED young lady!"

Correct Ki is the Japanese equivalent to the Chinese Chi or Qi, Same deal : )

• 2 weeks later...
So if take them together, her name means hate spirit

Nope...not at all. Her name is KIRAI, not KI - they are two completely different words. He was simply chiming in on my mentioning that KI is something different.

BTW, KIRAI is ONE Kanji.

I'd love it if the designer(s) would chime in on their thought process when they chose the name, as it seems the two words KIRAI and ANKOKU were simply chosen for how cool they sound - HATE and DARKNESS respectively.

Okay, I've not said anything for a while, but I've been waiting to hear back form a friend of mine in Japan about this topic.

It is worth mentioning that Kirai means all of the following words:

Hate, dislike, distaste, aversion, disagreeable, unpleasant, disgusting, offensive, nasty, odious, obnoxious (according to my friend who said she can think of at least 7 words that can mean this), unwelcome, undesirable, loath.

Don't forget SUSPICION, MINE, RETURNING, and a bajillion others. Someone who is not very articulate (Japanese wise) might use Kirai for any of those, but there are so many other words that are more - pardon the pun - DEAD ON that it's not likely.

For instance, ODIOUS would be better conveyed using the word NIKURASHII. As would the word SAITEI for DISGUSTING. That's just two out of your list as *I* use them.

My point is that while you can get your meaning across using KIRAI, in most situations you'd just come off as illiterate. Depending on context, you might even not be understood.

While your "friend" (see below) is well-meaning, "she's" gone way off course. Japanese is a subjective language, and much more than simple word order can affect meaning. Context is HUGELY influential.

Given the context of the game, figures, fluff, etc, I think the designers were more than likely going with "hate" or variations thereof.

When I mentioned that the other half of the name is Ankoku and also went on to say how the book gives the pronunciation, she went on to say that the pronunciation guide given is correct (at least as how it should be spoken) and that the meaning is Loathsome Shadow written as we'd write our names in the West. However, since the Japanese write and address others by family name first, the name somes out as either Street of the Unwelcome/Undesirables, Unpleasant District, Town Under Shadow or Shadow over Downtown, just to give some of the dozens of examples she gave (none of them featured the world Dark or Hate I might add).

You almost had us convinced that you might have actually spoken to a Native Japanese speaker, except that when I showed this list to my wife (who actually IS Japanese), she snorted and laughed out loud.

First of all, she pointed out, the two words - even in family name order - is unnatural. There's no way a native Japanese speaker would ever read them that way.

Next, she pointed out that there's no Kanji (that she knows of) that is read as "Kirai", but means "town" or "district" or any derivation thereof. District, as I've learned it, is "Chyoume" and town is "machi".

Even out of context, this is all BS.

Ankoku can mean dark/darkness, but not in context with the word Kirai is seems.

Weird how such simple changes can completely change the meaning of something. It apparently gets even more confusing when you introduce the words into hiragana and katakana, lonewords and modern hybridising, thankfully but she left those out.

"Hybridising" aside (which has next to no meaning in this case, and is something only young kids do, and only until they're about 18), no, the words mean what they mean, written side by side no matter what order.

It's not that ANKOKU "CAN" mean Dark/Darkness...it's that it DOES mean Dark/Darkness.

Writing them in Hiragana/Katakana makes little difference. Hiragana would be for someone who can't read Kanji (but is natural since it IS a Japanese word), and Katakana COULD be used if we're talking about the word as her name (since Katakana is reserved mainly for loanwords and Proper Names/Nouns), or to HIGHLIGHT a word (not common).

As for the pronouciation, yes it IS correct, but I find your quantifying your remarks with "As least as its spoken", as humorous since Japanese words don't change pronounciation when READ as opposed to SPOKEN. This feels tacked-on as a way to try to add weight to your mostly-innacurate assessment, as does your comments about Hiragana/Katakana, etc.

Perhaps you should have remained silent.

Edited by Kintaro

And I don't recall seeing anyone translate the various Kanji symbols I sprinkled around in Book 2. If I remember they spell out the code to unlock DaVinci's final vault where he kept his best secret stuff.

That is simple BS

Its clear that if you look at every 5th letter of the Fluff and rearrange them using my secret formula taught to me by the Angel Bob that the Malifaux books clearly spell out when the end of the world will be. Turns out its tomorrow. Sorry guys.