Why should I keep playing Criid?

BlueJoker

So I've been playing Malifaux for only a short time now. I started playing the game by picking up the last available Master box at my LGS - Sonnia Criid. In the few games I've played with her, I've spent nearly every game falling asleep. The past two games in particular I've felt rather useless. The first was against McMorning in swamps for a shared slaughter. Spending the whole game at half movement, it took me 4 turns to get close enough to start fighting. My opponent on the other hand was killing off canine remains, building up corpse counters (12 in his second turn) and brought out Rogue Necromancy. I walked across the board for 4 inches on each model. By the time I finally got into combat, I was overpowered and defeated.

The most recent game I played was a 2v2 shared slaughter, McMorning and Pandora vs. Criid (myself) and Hamlin. Again, McMorning spent all his time building up to do bigger things, Hamlin spent twice the time killing and raising rats, causing plenty of havok. Again I was stuck at the back of the bus walking my way into battle, and again didn't do a damn thing until turn 4. This game was played using the new 3D Sewer Terrain, so my range was completely handcuffed by no los. On top of doing nothing on my turns, the opponents and my partner both taking forever to complete all of their activations I was stupidly bored.

The Hamlin player kept telling me to stop saying "this sucks" because "your caster is really awesome" and so on. When exactly is Sonnia awesome in games like these?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That first moment you get a well placed inferno into a bunch of the opponents guys is what did it for me.

I haven't been playing Criid long, but I've found that against aggressive armies that come flying up the board at you, she is a boss, otherwise you may be spending turn 1, and maybe even turn 2 double-walking up the board.

If you want to feel like you're participating in the game earlier however, consider hiring Guild Austringers, their 18" range can start softening targets up from turn 1. Also, they are awesome.

The raw destruction she can sow is amazing. Less frills, less gimmicks, just fiery mayhem. She's lovely.

But, some masters don't work for some people. I flailed around through several factions trying to find stuff i really enjoyed playing. It happens. My suggestions is to try another master. Don't sell Criid, maybe not even buy new models. See if someone will let you proxy some different stuff. Then, if you like the new stuff, and still don't like Criid, then make the change.

Edited by Werecat

There are lots of masters to choose from. I bought Perdita and Som'er right off the bat and after one game with Som'er I traded him to a friend. Now, I didn't really know how to play him but I could tell that his play-style wasn't for me.

Perdita and I clicked right away and still not tired of her (though I do play several others).

You need to determine what type of play style you like and then choose a master that can play the way you like. If you don't like the master you have, pick someone else.

With all that said, I also play and like Sonnia. In her defense, sounds like you had some poor match-ups.

The swamp would have severely handicapped Sonnia but the rest of your crew could have pushed the action. McMourning should have also been hindered by the Swamp, but Witchlings and Sam Hopkins are scouts and hunters and should have been tearing things up.

Playing with a master that is all about range in an indoor battleground wouldn't be fun for anyone. Playing against masters that are summon intensive like McMourning and Hamelin can be rough on the patience also.

I question the size of the board you play on to. I usually can get her into action turn 1 or for sure on turn 2. With swamp that sucks for most masters that need to move, ressers don't really worry too much since they can just summon up a large army.

It sounds like you are playing on 4X4, if you are this is going to really mess with the game mechanics. Make sure you are playing on 3X3, and if you are work on having more cover terrain on board and less rough terrain. You have an equal same in terrain placement.

I have also thought of changing masters until I finally had a fair match up. Lucky for me, my dad plays the game so we can play anytime, UNlucky for me because he plays the Vicktorias... If you give her a chance on a fair match then you might start liking her, if not you should try the ones you wanna play.

Looks like I need to get a better match-up going, hammer out a few more games with her to see if I can actually succeed on pulling of fun things with her. I'm not so much about "I have to win to have fun" I'd just like to do something cool like cast spells and have duels with people etc. Something other than just walking for half a game. Coming from a Warhammer/Warmachine background, the idea that I don't have to roll any dice for anything and I get to play with a sweet deck of cards that has amazing art work is what is really drawing me into Malifaux. The overall mechanics are just fantastic, it's my inability to do anything with my starter box that's driving me up the walls - on top of which it's only just recently that my LGS has started playing Malifaux again; which has afforded me an opportunity to start learning the game finally.

I appreciate the advice, it's cool to see how much love Sonnia has - looking from the outside in I'd never have known.

Yeah, I don't really know what to say. I've proxied a couple of fights with Sonnia, and I've never taken more than two turns to get her to a point where she could start raining down fire on her enemies. I'd definitely advise playing with terrain that doesn't hinder her movement - you'll have a lot more fun. Sure, she isn't as fast as some others, but her powerful range and blasts definitely make up for that. And when they start raining down, things start dying.

Also, she comes with the awesomeness that is Samael, and possibly the most solid 4ss minion choice in the game: Witchling Stalkers.

I've just started playing Sonnia and didn't feel I spent three turns walking. The first turn in almost every game ends up just moving your crew around. The next turn, maybe two I spend setting up the big hit whilst my minions begin nicking wounds off several models (assuming the strategy/scheme involves killing the opposition).

If you feel hamstrung by Sonnia's lack of movement I would suggest trying Perdita – she can run halfway across the board in a single turn if you wanted her to. However, I've had her unsupported in more than one game because she's too fast and her crew can't keep up.

Sonnia was not my first master, but she is my first really cast heavy master.

I find that Sonnia (in my personal opinion) is the least adaptable of the Guild masters, until you understand how to play her. My first game with her was against Neverborn; Sonnia and Sam died... the stalkers destroyed Lilith's crew. I won, but I didn't do well. I asked an Arcanist player to take a dive, and play a 25ss game against Criid's box set. The play style suddenly mades sense. I wrecked Rasputina's crew.

Criid's crew needs to be facing high cast crews. They do okay against other stuff, especially if you throw parts of the crew in with different masters (Sam with 'Dita or Justice is one of my favorites).

My suggestion would be to play a game against an Arcanist player, just to see how things work. I still need a lot of practice, but I can't wait to pull Criid out again (especially with her Avatar Form;))

Criid's crew needs to be facing high cast crews. They do okay against other stuff, especially if you throw parts of the crew in with different masters (Sam with 'Dita or Justice is one of my favorites).

My suggestion would be to play a game against an Arcanist player, just to see how things work. I still need a lot of practice, but I can't wait to pull Criid out again (especially with her Avatar Form;))

I love the fact this game rewards players for playing depth of faction. Know you're playing indoors with a lot of blocking terrain? Go melee heavy. Know you need to spread out for scenario and you're facing Arcanists? Criid and Sam to the rescue!

With any Master/Crew you need to spend some time working with it before you can get an accurate gauge if the crew is meant for you. I usually spend a month or two on a Master before I make a decision that I don’t like it for whatever the reasons are.

This game is fairly complicated. Just by using different combo’s of minions or adding in a henchman can change the playability of any Master. You also need to learn and understand what the mechanics are of the master, what it can do well and can’t do well.

Having said all that, I have found myself coming back to Sonia Crid. I have shelved Hoffman for the meantime. There are a few really nice tricks you can do with her, that can be repeated each time you play.

I like to bring 2 desperate mercs, push em up the board with Sonia not far behind and use the zero action inferno to knock em down to 1 wound each. On turn two if my opponent is in range of their 8 inch gun, the mecs are now paired and can also use their zero action for my family to give them two positive twists to damage.

I hold back Sonia’s activation for as long as I can and if my opponent has not come into range by then, I then activate Crid and use two casts of violation of magic and turn the mercs into witchling stalkers. I have now gained 4 stones on my opponent and have two fresh models.

I push up the stalkers one walk action and on turn 3 I now can blast flame burst through the witchling by targeting my own model. Explosive burst trigger further enhances the placement of the blast markers. You should be able to get severe flame burst damage and with the stalkers magic resist 2, they only take 3 damage.

All of these things are card dependent just like any other Master’s tactics. Although, confiscated lore does assist Crid in getting these combo’s to work more often then not.

I agree with a previous poster, on a 35 stone game I always bring 2 austringers so I can attempt to keep my opponent from moving up too quickly on me before I have had a chance to set up what I have described above.

Lastly, I have used her avatar a few times and all I can say is wow. The damage output with the burning tokens on multiple models can put a frown on your opponent’s face.

In the end, we play games to have fun. If crid doesn’t float your boat, there are many others to choose from.

After reading your posts it seems you favor movement shennigans so I would suggest dropping Sonia for the time and picking Collodi since he is listed in your signature. He seems to appeal to your desired play style.

I love Sonia's style, but if she isn't working for you now i found trying a different crew early on, helped me understand the game better and made me better with my first master.

I hold back Sonia’s activation for as long as I can and if my opponent has not come into range by then, I then activate Crid and use two casts of violation of magic and turn the mercs into witchling stalkers. I have now gained 4 stones on my opponent and have two fresh models.

Thats a really interesting idea, I'll have to give it a try in my next game.

Definitely even more to think about. I've only played a couple of games of Malifaux and still trying to get all the rules down, but it does seem like there is a bit more to Sonnia than I've given credit. I think what would appeal more to me is the ability to do anything interesting while getting to setup for combat. I love how McMorning can do all his sacrificing and summon up Rogue Necromancy, Hamlin prolonging his turn with his rats and rat catchers. I'll work to give Sonnia more playtime and try her out some more, start to learn her in's and out's better...maybe set some things on fire. Thanks guys.

The Hamlin player kept telling me to stop saying "this sucks" because "your caster is really awesome" and so on. When exactly is Sonnia awesome in games like these?

As soon as I learned how to play Malifaux properly, I sold all of my Guild models and picked a new faction.

I won't go into deep reasons because people here will disagree, and tell you just to stick it out and learn. The cold hard truth is that the faction is just not as good as the others (a bit less with book 3 thanks to some new good minion). The main reason is the one you've picked up on; they're just too slow.

Buy a new faction and sell them, or keep them for fun games. You won't regret it.

I think what would appeal more to me is the ability to do anything interesting while getting to setup for combat. I love how McMorning can do all his sacrificing and summon up Rogue Necromancy, Hamlin prolonging his turn with his rats and rat catchers.

Collodi can also do this. Especially if you add in the Weaver Widow - then you can even get to summon Teddy.

As soon as I learned how to play Malifaux properly, I sold all of my Guild models and picked a new faction.

I won't go into deep reasons because people here will disagree, and tell you just to stick it out and learn. The cold hard truth is that the faction is just not as good as the others (a bit less with book 3 thanks to some new good minion). The main reason is the one you've picked up on; they're just too slow.

Buy a new faction and sell them, or keep them for fun games. You won't regret it.

I disagree, as a Neverborn player (Lilith) I find guild the toughest match up

Guild is not the strongest in any one area. But unlike other factions...we don't really have too many 'bad' matchups...if any. We come with a bag of tricks 3 miles deep and that is a fact. Now,it is true that we are nowhere as mobile as some of the other factions. But none of them can run faster then the bullets you can sling out on a constant basis.

Sonnia does do wonders against high cast opponents,but she can still do well against any faction. The important thing to remember is that since Sonnia doesn't syngergize incredibly with her crew,you have the option to use any of the guild's models equally well,based on the situation.

Very true statements by Cat. We also have highest damage out put of anyone faction. We have 4ss models that can do min 4 damage or more given certain synergy. We have a model that can do 16 damage in one strike. We have critical strike on almost every thing and built in suit on the majority. We longest range guns that can ignore los and with critical strike.

We are on the slower side so if movement tricks is more your thing than guild and resser probably shouldn't be your first pick the other three have much better choices for speed. Collodi, Collette and Lilth being great choices.

When I need Criid to move fast I give her Lucius. She can be dropped with all her AP intact on turn 1 14" from the deployment zone. Not that its a good idea, you usually dont want her that close, but you can. If you take lucius you need guardsmen and special forces. He can order them around generally making your army a lot faster.

When I need Criid to move fast I give her Lucius. She can be dropped with all her AP intact on turn 1 14" from the deployment zone. Not that its a good idea, you usually dont want her that close, but you can. If you take lucius you need guardsmen and special forces. He can order them around generally making your army a lot faster.

You could make it 19" if you really wanted to (Lucius uses Casting expert to issue orders to himself for a 3rd walk...)