Dealing with the Dreamer's Alpha Strike

demkoenig

From another thread

"Dreamer/Lcb

2x Daydreams

Deploy

one daydream in a very safe spot with space for the dreamer and lcb to be called back to(daydream 1)

second daydream as close to your opponents model that you want to die(I like going after the master).(daydream 2)

last place the dreamer within 6" of both

1st turn

companion the dreamer with his two daydreams

daydream 2 activates

(1) walk 6"

(1) magical extension frightening dream bring out LCB within 6"

(0) Calm Nightmares-bury lcb bring out dreamer in b2b

Dreamer Activates

(0) I can fly

(1)walk 7"

*now your at 20" from where daydream 2 started if the model you wanna attack is with in 4" do this

(0) nightmare Friend bring out lcb in b2b

LCB activates

(+1)melee expert attack model with ten in claws

*at this point you're attacking a model that was 24" away from daydream 2

*don't forget triggers esp onslaught

(1) attack model again if you need to or walk closer to another target

(1) and one more time if you need to or hey another model

(0) dreamer's daydream (daydream 3) to summon a daydream but don't place farther than 6" away

Daydream 3 activates

(0) calm nightmares bring out the dreamer in b2b

(1) walk to a good position to either let this model be killed to bring out say a teddy or out of harms way.

Daydream 1 activates

(0) calm nightmares bring out the dreamer in b2b

*(1) lead nightmare to pull daydream 2 back into companion range

* another fun thing is to leave daydream 3 out by the other teams crew as bait so that when they go and kill him they summon a nightmare (i like teddy for this) as they die and you'll have a dead daydream to do another alpha strike with

*also to add some more range instead of having the dreamer take only one ap have him walk again for another 7" then do his nightmare friend 0 action and if you need it have lcb use his general ap that he's left with to walk again then just use his melee expert and hope for onslaught(or cheat it)

*you can also always drop a bunch of nightmares at 26" with the dreamer frighting dream trigger all my friends

So with this you have at least one attack with lcb up to 35" away from where your first daydream activated and put The Dreamer in a very safe spot."

Any suggestions on how to deal with this?

I was thinking of strategic deployment so that Chompy can't get into melee range of an important target on your crew.

You're forgetting the immediate activation of Chompy and Dreamer. When one of them comes out they instantly break into the chain of activation order. The instant the current activating model is done one of those two breaks in and then does their activation. Doesn't matter if you have a companion activation sequence going on, or in this case a Daydream.

Also question: why are you assuming the Dreamer is going to use nightmare friend instead of Frightening Dream to put Chompy out? Frightening dream with the trigger (not hard to get) lets him drop however many nightmares he wants including a buried Daydream within 6" of his final position...Chompy bits is a Nightmare and so he is a legal target of this unbury trick, thus giving you another 6" range on Chompy's initial target.

Edited by Fetid Strumpet

You're forgetting the immediate activation of Chompy and Dreamer. When one of them comes out they instantly break into the chain of activation order. The instant the current activating model is done one of those two breaks in and then does their activation. Doesn't matter if you have a companion activation sequence going on, or in this case a Daydream.

If you're referring to this:

"daydream 2 activates

(1) walk 6"

(0) Calm Nightmares-bury lcb bring out dreamer in b2b"

it is legit since Chompy is removed from play before being able to activate (as per RM the "immediately activating" model has to wait for current model's activation to end but by that time LCB is buried again and can therefore not activate yet).

It's hard to answer the OP without the tools in hand, ie which crew are you playing, which models can you field.

One general option could be to have a debuffer like J Daw around to prevent LCB from cheating and ssing when attacking; if LCB can't cheat or use ss, he's just an average + beat stick

I was agreeing with you poulpox.

On your suggestion to use JD as a defense against Chompy... I don't think it will work very well.

Firstly because if you do this it means you must win initiative on the first round and your very first action has to be to put up JD's no cheating aura. If you don't The Dreamer's first activation can be his alpha strike.

Secondly because of the Dreamer's ability to choose where and when to fight even if you do manage to put up JD's aura if the Dreamer thinks it is to his advantage to strike somewhere else more effectively he can still do so.

And finally I don't think it is a viable tactic because Chompy might just come in anyway. JD's aura prevents ANYONE from cheating or using SS, so in order to make certain your models are "protected" by it they are going t have to be inside the aura too. Chompy might not care and come in because his main attack uses paired, so while he won't have the odds he normally has he still has to potential to kill you because while he can't cheat, neither can you, and he has paired strikes.

JD can do the trick as you can put him in front of everyone when you deploy and have him just take the damage and discard a card. If you really want to win initiative, you can Doppleganger for the initiative ability. I have found that when you play against that little child is that they always have a Copellius. Get Lady Z in there to voodoo Copellius and do awful awful things with it with a doppleganger for 3 obeys when he gets in your face.

If you guys want some list examples, here is my neverborn crew against that annoying little child.

Zoraida/Voodoo

Bad Juju (Forget you alp bombs, I have landslide)

Doppleganger (Juju punch along with neg initiative)

Killjoy (Heavier punches and pretty much doesn't die)

30 Points of Neverborn Face Beating that will have him on the run turn 3 or turn 2 if you devote yourself to the cause.