A discussion of Book 3's Big Big Spoiler

Jonas Albrecht

I don't know about everyone else, but I will say, thinking back on it, that Philip has become adjusted to death far quicker than I'd expect...then again, he had been in a downward spiral of sanity when he died, so if that continued out...

Look at the dates, there's been a lot of water gone down the river since his ressurrection :D

I see the Tyrants as aequivalent to lovecrafts old Gods, they are allways trying to come down upon Malifaux and if that ever happens the world is just gonna end, so making them Charakters would be kinda lame.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I never really had much expectations for Philip. I think he could have been darker not in tone, but in humour. He seems a bit too Beetlejuice (dare I say it twice more =]) and has a whackyness that is playful, but has nothing to contrast against. Something like a talking severed head makes me want to go "Haha.. hey wait that's not supposed to be funny - yet even when he's sad, I can't help but chuckle." I think it's more a case of delivery than character, the humour's very American and blunt, but could take more inspiration from Asian black comedies (I even regard Sympathy for Mr Vengeance funny in the worst possible way).

But all together Molly is one of my favourite characters by far and has a lot of potential, plus Ponto's such a good boy, yes he is, yes he is... ahem.

I thought they figured it was more a girl than a boy. Then again it is a machine with resurrected flesh in it.

I like how a Totem is now pretty much a Character unique model. Who's not going to name the Necrotic Machine Ponto? It's like Molly is getting a family in death that she never had in life. (as dysfunctional as it is.)

I like how a Totem is now pretty much a Character unique model. Who's not going to name the Necrotic Machine Ponto? It's like Molly is getting a family in death that she never had in life. (as dysfunctional as it is.)
Heh - I was hoping the Necrotic Machine model would come out with a pink bow on it ;)

I see the Tyrants as aequivalent to lovecrafts old Gods, they are allways trying to come down upon Malifaux and if that ever happens the world is just gonna end, so making them Charakters would be kinda lame.

That's merely what the fans have turned them in to over the century. Only a handful of the most powerful ones are powerful enough to end the world outright, most of them will keel over if you bring the right guns to bear.

Assuming of course you are dealing with what H.P. Lovecraft wrote, and not what the fans wrote.

For example: in Call of Cthulhu, Cthulhu himself is rammed by a yacht, a vessel typically between 26 and 39 feet long, but they can get up to 197 feet long, and Cthulhu was put back to sleep by getting hit by this ship.

Or whatever, it's poorly described, "He also thinks that Cthulhu, whilst restoring his broken head, was dragged down again with the sinking city, thus keeping humanity safe until the next time, when the stars are right"

Same with the Tyrants, December was knocked down by Viktoria in the first book. You see what I mean by right weapon?

Edited by BlueStar86
I forgot my primary point.

Yes, because Cthulu -like december- were never killed, only their vessel was killed ;)

Well, yeah, the important part of what I was saying is this: when the Tyrants (or H.P.Lovecrafts gods for that matter) wake up, they aren't unkillable, they don't get to win outright, because there are weapons which can strike them down again.

They have to fight for their victory just like everyone else and hope that the Masamune, and the other weapons like it, are lost to the mortals.

Except the god that the universe is built on, but he's actually dead, not that it's ever stopped a god before.