Working with washes

Malifauxcurr

What am I doing wrong?! Whenever I try and add a wash to a mini, it never seems to pool properly in the recesses, and marbles up staining the regular surface area. I've primarily stuck with P3 and citadel inks/washes, and I've tried using then straight out of the bottle and I've tried thinning it with varying degrees of water. I just don't get how to use it properly.

On a related note, has anybody ever used the Army Painter Quick Shade stuff? Just curious if it's good or worth it before dropping 30 bucks on a can.

This is something I struggle with as well and I use GW washes. I like the effect better than not washing, but it gives my models a generally overall dark tone. I've base coated, THEN washed, and gone back and hit some highlights with lighter colors, but that doesn't help as much as I'd like.

On a related note, has anybody ever used the Army Painter Quick Shade stuff? Just curious if it's good or worth it before dropping 30 bucks on a can.

I've looked into the Quick Shade. I think it fits a certain niche that doesn't include me. There are people that are either painting a large number of models or just HATE the idea of painting at all. They can base coat 3-4 colors, hit it with Quick Shade and they'll have a pretty good looking model in 15-25 minutes per model, if even that. I've seen some models dipped in QS and they do look pretty good.

But they still aren't up to my personal standards. I am really interested in painting and improving as an artist. I get great enjoyment out of putting a lot into a model; from planning the color scheme to using unique and interesting basing. I don't mind spending 6-8 hours on just painting one model to get it to where I am proud of it. I feel I can afford to do that with Malifaux since I don't have to field 30 models for a game.

So, for some people it is really worth it. For others, like me, not so much.

The main problem I had with using washes is that I was more trying to paint it on then slop it on. I know it sounds odd, but i wasnt using anywhere near enough wash on the model.

Once i saw a friend really pooling the wash in the down areas and then maybe going back and taking a little off with a brush helped me a lot.

As a practice, just get a model you can practice on and just slop the ink so you can see if that is the issue. I know it was before I saw how others did it.

Someone already said the trick. The base way to use the washes it to base coat, wash, then go back and reapply the base to the high areas and then highlight. Thats what I have always done.

The Army painter stuff interested me as well. Not for my Malifaux stuff but for the 40+ puppet wars puppets I need to paint.

I water my washes down to the point they are see through. This gives me more control over the washes and I add multiple washes to get the affect I need. If a wash goes somewhere you want then you can take a dry paint brush to it and it will absorb the excess wash and you can try it again.

Here are some alternate ideas I came across researching good fix-it-problem . In the US the company Pledge carries a clear acrylic floor varnish w/Future shine called floor care for tile/vinyl. Use it in place of water to dilute your color of choice-try to keep the result fairly see-thru like how GW washes or thinner.....it comes out semi-glossy though

The cure for the semi-glossy results just dull down with a coat of Dullcoat or add some water..Another more expensive choice would be to turn to artist's paints like Liquitex Matte Medium. Again mix with color and thin down a little with water...Pooling it directly to recesses does help with control and having a dry brush on hand to dry overpooling or Qtips. If clings to a raised surface use a moistened stiff bristle to remove quickly before it sets. The matte medium is a prefect dull result.

Practice on unloved figures see how it moves and settles or could try slopping it on a fresh based coat fig to make the detail stand out more just paint over it. This idea will also help smooth out a crappy priming. Hope this helps ....