Hamelin & rats advice wanted

durek

Been playing for a while now with a variety of crews and was wobbling between Leveticus and Hamelin as no one plays them in our group.

Decided on Hamelin.

Got the box set, rat trapper and wretch. I know I have to pick up more rats but was hoping people would have suggestions on different rats or conversion ideas (not overly fond of using 9+ 3 sculpt models). Anything else I should get; was thinking of using my wife’s Kade for a heavy hitter.

Any suggestion on a 35 stone crew or strategies, I’ve never seen him in action.

Thanks in advance.

Eh, I use just keep buying blisters of rats, but I'm sure there are better option out there. You'll prolly want 12-15 at least, I know ill prolly be getting more when his avatar is released.

The thing with hamelin is that very little outside of his core units had any synergy with him, so you need some decent stand alone units to go with him. I suggest canine remains and terror tots. The idea with the tots is to kill a rat for a blood counter and grow them into young nephilim...which can be pretty nasty. I'll also be getting Crooligans for some decent objective cappers once they are released.

As for strategies, you'll handle most of them the same, move up as a group and take pressure off hamelin while he focuses on making their deadliest models insignificant. Then you go for your objectives. Slaughter will be your biggest problem, as people will just mass kill your rat swarms with blast and pulse damage and you won't be able to catch them in kill points. I would take a canine, stolen or tot heavy list for slaugjter...there was actually a thread about decent strategies for slaughter with hamelin a while back with me and magicpockets that you can search for.

Thx, was thinking about canine reamains but never even clue into terror tots.

Still looking for a way of having tournament legal rats that aren't the same sculpt. My wife will maybe try her hand at rat sculpting...

I currently have many giant rats from GW as well as some old OOP dogs, I can proxy to try canine remains.

12+ rats eh?

I still wonder when other people on these forums will begin to see the potential of the Desperate Mercenaries in Hamelin lists..

They're disposable rockets that can be killed after use to get a rat/heal or sacrificed for Hamelins spells - if your enemy kills them before that, not a big deal, you still gain healing, a rat and have had more flexible movement and activation control up to that point.

3~4 of them wouldn't go amiss with me.. Mind you however that this is coming from a guy who likes to take a full cache with Hamelin and who prefers not to include any rats/ratcatchers from the beginning of the game as you'll almost inevitably get those later on as the game progresses anyway.

So yea.. Cheers for the atypical approach to things in general. Because vanilla was ruined for me long ago.

Tbh, I always forget he can use them, lol. I will probably start running them when I get back into outcasts some more. The only issue is that I'm trying to test his avatar, and unfortunately it seems like you would want rats and rat catchers when using him, which forces you back into those traditional Hamelin lists.

I still wonder when other people on these forums will begin to see the potential of the Desperate Mercenaries in Hamelin lists..

They're disposable rockets that can be killed after use to get a rat/heal or sacrificed for Hamelins spells - if your enemy kills them before that, not a big deal, you still gain healing, a rat and have had more flexible movement and activation control up to that point

Take 3, then Turn three do the thing that buffs them and sacrifices them - just hit them with drain souls before the end of the turn to get a ss back from each ;)

The idea with the tots is to kill a rat for a blood counter and grow them into young nephilim...which can be pretty nasty.

Disclaimer: I'm a complete newbie who just bought the main and second book. I'm looking at playing Hamelin with my other newbie friends.

I've seen a few people talk about this strategy, but my understanding is that rats don't generate counters when they're killed or sacrificed so a terror tot wouldn't gain a blood counter. Is there something I'm missing?

Yeah 12+ rats, especially at the 35ss level. Hell, sometimes I even find myself using 15+ and end up having to proxy things as rats because I don't own enough of the models. With Hamelin's avatar, I'll likely have 20+...It's gonna be gross, haha.

I do not need a play by play, but where do all these rats come from? What percentage would you say come from your models vs opponents? I have only played Hamlelin once, and this number seems much higher then I would have expected.

Disclaimer: I'm a complete newbie who just bought the main and second book. I'm looking at playing Hamelin with my other newbie friends.

I've seen a few people talk about this strategy, but my understanding is that rats don't generate counters when they're killed or sacrificed so a terror tot wouldn't gain a blood counter. Is there something I'm missing?

In a perfect world, they would be called Blood Tokens. Actually in a perfect world they would be called Blood Counters and models would leave Corpse Tokens (and therefore rats would leave no tokens instead).

I do not need a play by play, but where do all these rats come from? What percentage would you say come from your models vs opponents? I have only played Hamlelin once, and this number seems much higher then I would have expected.

I would love to see an answer to this, too. I am getting ready to play Hamelin and reading the description of his units, it's hard for me to see how he ends up with so many rats.

Rats generate off of anything...anything...that is killed within 6" of Hamelin or a Rat catcher. They also generate off of your Stolen when they are killed OR sacrificed (which you do quite often with Hamelin) regardless of where they are.

Hamelin's Avatar can (0) to summon up to 3.

OFC there's also the option of starting with lots of rats as well.

Last 35ss game I played I started with 5, and ended the game with 15-17.

Normally starting with lots of rats isn't advised, but I was trying his Avatar, and he seems to do best with a huge rat swarm.

Rats generate off of anything...anything...that is killed within 6" of Hamelin or a Rat catcher. They also generate off of your Stolen when they are killed OR sacrificed (which you do quite often with Hamelin) regardless of where they are.

Hamelin's Avatar can (0) to summon up to 3.

OFC there's also the option of starting with lots of rats as well.

Last 35ss game I played I started with 5, and ended the game with 15-17.

Normally starting with lots of rats isn't advised, but I was trying his Avatar, and he seems to do best with a huge rat swarm.

Thanks for the reply. I bought 18 rats. Hopefully, that will be enough to get started with him.