Tokens or Scenery?

Monticus

Firstly I'm more of a wargamer than a boardgamer, so I was wondering even though the game comes with tokens/markers to represent impassable terrain and work benches is it practical to create something more visual to represent these?

I was thinking of small piles of scrap cloth, sewing bobbins and reels etc, just to add to the visual effect of the game for demos. I was also considering making small benches to represent the work benches. Can some one measure the a hex for me so I can start making these up, the demo vids are great, the reviews are fantastic, and the hype is driving me nuts. I'm going to blame Z for the hold up of my order since I dont get to hear his sultry voice on the Iron Agenda podcast anymore.

Any help appreciated.

Monty

I have to admit on this I had been eagerly awaitoing pics of the box contents and was not dissapointed, but thought something more could have been done for workbench or impassible tokens. I had the idea that the impassible token would maybe be a small plastic shape, similar to the picture on the map layout generator (little mountains).

I would be very interested to hear what people use as substitute markers.

If you want to improve the look of the board then I would go the whole way, and build an entire board with rearrangeable hex tiles. Then you can build some hexes with terrain sculpted onto them.

In the UK you can find hexagonal ceramic tiles on sheets, with each tile about 30mm, which seems to be about right for the Puppet bases which are a little smaller than the standard 30mm Wyrd bases (I think).

http://www.tilesupply.co.uk/alborezz-zoro-mosaics-sky-blue-hexagonal-ceramic-floor-tile-4410

The best advice was already given, and that was to make sure that you can still get a model on top of them. For Impassible Terrain Tokens... you could probably have a bunch that weren't easy to get a model on and just switch them with a flatter one when a model would end on them.

Work benchs, yeah gotta be able to get a model on them and have they balance without issue. Im actually thinking of building mini workbenches on some hex tiles and just making sure there is a clear space for the Puppet.

Well I've decided to go ahead and start making the scenery. I plan on sticking with the same size bases as the supplied tokens. For Impassible I plan on thimbles, corks with pins and needles in them, and old bobbins/reels. When something needs to occupy the space, I'll replace the scenery with the standard supplied token.

For the work benches, I plan to have a raised platform (2 matchsticks) with a small planked top (scored balsa) and stain/paint them in the same colours as the supplied tokens.

The fun part is going to be the toy boxes I plan to make. Since these will be off to one side, I'm thinking either a small chest or a crate. Once I have collected all the pieces I think I will need, I'll post up some photos.

Well I've decided to go ahead and start making the scenery. I plan on sticking with the same size bases as the supplied tokens. For Impassible I plan on thimbles, corks with pins and needles in them, and old bobbins/reels. When something needs to occupy the space, I'll replace the scenery with the standard supplied token.

For the work benches, I plan to have a raised platform (2 matchsticks) with a small planked top (scored balsa) and stain/paint them in the same colours as the supplied tokens.

The fun part is going to be the toy boxes I plan to make. Since these will be off to one side, I'm thinking either a small chest or a crate. Once I have collected all the pieces I think I will need, I'll post up some photos.

Definitly need pics of this when you get them going! Start a WIP thread in the general Puppet Wars section and show us the progress!

The impassable and workbench tokens are almost the same color. I saw a few players at GenCon using another colors (yellow for instance) in place of workbenches. I was thinking of drawing a mountain on the impassable terrain tokens to distinguish them from the others. I plan to create some flat tokens that the puppets can be placed on as the current tokens are about the same size so the puppet base.

I've already created a MS PowerPoint file (two charts) that has a blank map (hexes 1" across) as I want to mount that to thick card or foam board for use in tournaments (pre-set terrain).

Another thing I want to do is to set the cardboard counters to a thicker plastic coin or disc for ease of use. The coin/disc would be the same color as the token (blue for exhausted as an example).

main problem ive had is the board is so dark that you can barely see the hexes they should have gone with either a lighter colored pictured or a brighter grid then the terrain tokens also blend into the board had a couple off times where we had someone on terrain who should not have been then i saw this picture and wondered how well that board would work http://twitpic.com/6dryo0

Okay...so those clear plastic tokens are terrain...SIGH! I could have saved myself 30 minutes of heart attack regarding missing terrain tiles ;p if I had thought to check here first.

Board gamers like an inventory on the first page of the rule book! :P EDIT: Of course I didn't bother to check the back of the box >.< Ha!

I still intend on stitching together pieces of felt to form flattish 2D terrain. Can't wait!

Edited by CapnJen
Silly billy

main problem ive had is the board is so dark that you can barely see the hexes they should have gone with either a lighter colored pictured or a brighter grid then the terrain tokens also blend into the board had a couple off times where we had someone on terrain who should not have been then i saw this picture and wondered how well that board would work http://twitpic.com/6dryo0

The survive tiles could certainly work. They are a bit big for the Puppets but that doesn't really matter.

In the end, if you want to take the board further then it is it's up to you how you want to do it. Wyrd provided exactly what they advertised, a starter set to get you going with the game. But whatever you do... be sure to post pics and tell use where we can get the pieces to ;D