Control Deck vs Playing Card Deck - Combining the Two

Xander

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

crow-10.png

Yay for the black blood drops! As already stated by others they could stand to be more purpleish so they stand out a bit more without drawing far too much attention. Either way much better than red (for the black suits) IMO.

mask-k_new-red.png

The fourth color trim looks great. It has such a good balance of individuality and unity with the other cards.

ram-k_new-red.png

Yes defiantly more contrast is needed between the red and burgandy. And/ Or you could add more of the guild red trim color, particularly in that center rectangle (or double triangle depending on how your head puts shapes together).

Its looking better all the time, keep it up!

Very nice indeed! I'd certainly be happy to own a set, heh.

Edit:

Looking at the Neverborn one, maybe make the red on the ruff the same as the suit colour? Currently he mostly just looks red.

Good stuff. I think I have laid out all the cards now as well, so everything seems to be in order.

EDIT: The way I am doing it makes it hard to make them the same colour. Your eye will perceive the colour differently based on how much black is in proximity to the red and whether or not the fade/darkening has been applied to it. It's really tricky to make them match, based on how I have done things. What I may do is add in a strip of black to his clothes so that he more closely resembles the other kings...

The only things left for me to consider are:

1) Joker Font:

I am not sure I want to use this font. Might do something more generic to match the other letters used.

2) The 7 Card:

At this point I am leaning toward using a different 7 pattern for each suit, or just the cluster.

Crows: Cluster

Rams: Z pattern

Masks: I pattern

Tomes: H pattern

3) Card Back:

I am still playing around with this.

card-back1.png

Edited by Xander

I'm pretty neutral on the pattern for the 7s, but think they should be consistent. Suit is typically secondary to the number, and if we have to learn to pattern-recognize four different spread of 7s I think it'll be a problem.

Not sure I love the back... With the mostly-solid color, the cracking seems very busy to me. Maybe invert the colors so the suits and text is black and cracked, and the rest of the back is the standard color? I do like that you've made the back (mostly) mirrored, though - one of my dislikes with Wyrd's current fate decks is that the backs are directional. It's not common, but someone could use that as a means to mark their decks (I knew at least one guy who was a big enough ass to do this back in my SWCCG days).

Also, as much as I love what you're doing here, are you planning on leaving the Xandor on there? Or maybe replacing it with the Malifaux logo? Or actually making it possible to personalize each deck?

The original cards had no back they weren't printed on, so the backs were used as all kind of things IOU, notes to lovers etc as the cheapest source of paper... Not that I'm suggesting no back.. just thought it was a cool bit of history..

I agree. due to the huge amount of flat black the craqleur looks wrong.

I love seeing how this is coming along! The cards all look great so far. I think a more elaborate back design would look nice, but having all of the suits there is also great.

I don't know if it's been answered before in the thread, but were you planning to actually make these cards available for purchase, or is it just a personal project? I can't remember what Wyrd's stance is on fan-made fate decks.

Either way, this is looking incredible. I shall continue lurking now.

Aha, I much prefer that black back to the earlier red ones. Very nice work there, as always.

Cool, I'll keep working on it. :)

I like the honeycomb cluster pattern 7 for all of them.

Oh and the Black Joker shouldn't have any dot in the corner.. it's worth 0 and not weak. The Red could have 4.

Ooh, good catch! Thanks! Opinion on the 7s noted!

agreed they look awesome!

Cheers!

I think maybe as for a back instead of a cracked flat color maybe go for a Royal pattern used on some cards. Something like this:

29375-royalty-free-cartoon-clip-art-of-the-back-of-a-red-playing-card-with-black-diamonds-by-andy-nortnik.jpg

I am still toying with the card back design, nothing settled yet.

I'm pretty neutral on the pattern for the 7s, but think they should be consistent. Suit is typically secondary to the number, and if we have to learn to pattern-recognize four different spread of 7s I think it'll be a problem.

Noted!

Not sure I love the back... With the mostly-solid color, the cracking seems very busy to me. Maybe invert the colors so the suits and text is black and cracked, and the rest of the back is the standard color? I do like that you've made the back (mostly) mirrored, though - one of my dislikes with Wyrd's current fate decks is that the backs are directional. It's not common, but someone could use that as a means to mark their decks (I knew at least one guy who was a big enough ass to do this back in my SWCCG days).

That is indeed something to note, it will be tough to remove all directional nods from the design, though it could be attempted. It would involve some texture mirroring and other things. But it may very well come down to how the card is cut, which could spoil that anyway. The cards themselves are certainly directional. Thanks for the comment, noted!

Also, as much as I love what you're doing here, are you planning on leaving the Xandor on there? Or maybe replacing it with the Malifaux logo? Or actually making it possible to personalize each deck?

At this point, all my designs are simply images. I doubt very much I'd print a dozen decks with "Xandor" printed on them, unless I intended to use that as some kind of branding, like "Bicycle" or something. I doubt I will use any Wyrd/Malifaux logos/trademarks at all. I've very purposely avoided doing so thus far. All my designs are my own (albeit similar and born in the likeness of Wyrd's). In theory, if ordered individually, each deck could be customized. If ordered in bulk, however, prices tend to be lower.

The original cards had no back they weren't printed on, so the backs were used as all kind of things IOU, notes to lovers etc as the cheapest source of paper... Not that I'm suggesting no back.. just thought it was a cool bit of history..

I agree. due to the huge amount of flat black the craqleur looks wrong.

The more you know! Like I say, the card backs are still being considered. I still like the cracking effect, but I like it better when it is applied to a design.

I love seeing how this is coming along! The cards all look great so far. I think a more elaborate back design would look nice, but having all of the suits there is also great.

I'd appreciate any help on this. Inspirational card backs from which to base a new design would be handy.

I don't know if it's been answered before in the thread, but were you planning to actually make these cards available for purchase, or is it just a personal project? I can't remember what Wyrd's stance is on fan-made fate decks.

My original intent was to bang out a deck of cards and just release the files to everyone. However, I've now invested quite a substantial portion of time into this, and am not sure what I will do. For starters, each high-resolution card file will be around 7 megabytes, which means around 385 megabytes for 54 cards and a card back. That's a LOT of bandwidth to host. The photoshop PSD file is also extremely large!

I've done my best to use only GPL licensed vectors (the card faces), so I will more than likely release a GPL licensed set of updated Face Cards which will include my two new jokers.

Also, I have no idea how Wyrd would feel if I were to make a few bucks selling these designs. My thinking is they wouldn't like it very much. :/ But I have no idea, they'd have to weigh in on that (if anyone knows the top men, ask them what they think of custom fate decks for me!). Heck, if I had it my way, Wyrd would drop me a line (and a few dollars, perhaps? ;) ) and use the files to produce the decks officially! That way everyone could get their hands on em!

Either way, this is looking incredible. I shall continue lurking now.

Cheers! I am really happy with how things are going.

I really like these. I would like to have a set of my own also. The only thing I don't like is the backs. I think I would like something more classic like this:

stock-vector-playing-cards-back-swirled-design-41347306.jpg

Or one of these:

cardbacks400.jpg

Thanks for the references! I wouldn't mind designing a very cool card back. At this point though, most card backs are rather boring and look tedious to make. I think I am in need of a very inspiring card back to motivate me to make my own.

Something like your main one will work better with the crack effect. as it's mostly white with coloured lines.. rather than a pure colour.

My main one? or GI Joker's?

Thanks for all the comments everyone! They are very helpful.