Lady Justice and Crew

Jay Adan

I'm pretty much brand new to this game. I've somehow previously managed to completely avoid it but a friend recently opened my eyes to the wonders of the Malifaux miniatures line. So here's my first starter set completed this week:

5975525098_11a1c18f68_z.jpg

Lady Justice by Jay Adan, on Flickr

5975001183_a85c89e656_z.jpg

The Judge by Jay Adan, on Flickr

5981335703_ee469dedeb_z.jpg

Death Marshal by Jay Adan, on Flickr

5981896282_456cf996cd_z.jpg

5981335787_8451b7583f_z.jpg

Thanks. I really had some trouble visualizing the colors for these minis as I was getting started. On the one hand they're like old-west minis. On the other... they're not.

I was tempted to make Lady Justice look like a Judge ala Judge Dredd (the costume seems to imply that) but I avoided it in the end.

Very, very nice work with the OSL/glow, and the blues on Lady J and the Judge, excellent color selection. What did you use for your basing?

A couple of different things. My core basing material is MagicSculpt. But the really big base also has a big hunk of cork (from a wine bottle). I love the way cork looks. I'll sometimes use texture medium as well - as I think I did on one of them. Then, to top it off, I've using some weathering powders.

Must agree with poulpox... they look awesome nice work!

[edit] also must say I love the way you have photographed them too :D

Thanks! Actually, the photography is just as important to me as the painting. I've been into photography for a long time but making my miniature photographs really high quality is something that's fairly new for me (as in a couple of years working at it).

Thanks! Actually, the photography is just as important to me as the painting. I've been into photography for a long time but making my miniature photographs really high quality is something that's fairly new for me (as in a couple of years working at it).

well those years sure do show! they look great and jus make those paint jobs look so much better

I do agree with sterns. all I got is my phone and it poos on the pics I take........yeah I said poos.

:hahaha: Poos...

It doesn't take much to get a decent picture... but starting out with a dedicated camera (as opposed to whatever your phone can do) is a good place to start. [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BN51v9Kj1KM]I have a fairly extensive setup for doing photos[/ame] but that's not really necessary for getting a decent photo.

Sort of off topic, but are you guys planning on doing Malifaux at your new shop?

We haven't started placing orders for product yet, but I think so. We like games with nice starter boxes like Malifaux has. It makes it easy to carry the game without needing to dedicate too much shelf space to any one game.

The product mix will be very similar to the Greenfield Store. It is smaller so we're cutting back on some things - like GW and PP blister packs.

(BTW - For those of you who don't know what I'm talking about... I own a game store in Greenfield, MA called Greenfield Games and we're about to open a second store in Hadley, MA).