Ramos Crew with Rusty Alyce and...?

Scribe

I am somewhat in the process of falling for Ramos and would simply love to pair him up with Rusty Alyce. Now I already read elsewhere that that might indeed not be the worst of ideas. I'd obviously like some of the Arachnids and the Steamborg and..yeah, any suggestions? I'm a bit of a sucker for steampunk anyway.

Can I technically use any of the steampunk/mechanical creations with Ramos or are there any restrictions other than extra cost?

If somebody could suggest a feasible list featuring Ramos and Rusty Alyce, I'd appreciate it and promise near-eternal gratitude.

oh see, didn't even think of the Toolkit!

Thankies for the prompt reply and suggestions :)

The Brass Arachnid as Ramos Totem is a must then as well, I assume. Still need to find my way around understanding even the basic rules - so many things/options to consider :hypnotize

A Ramos list is largely limited to the arcanist faction.

He is also allowed to take two mercenary models from otehr factions (typically outcast) and there are a couple of models in the guild list that have special rules fopr selecting them (Guardian and hunter).

Anything that wasn't an arcanist will cost 1 soulstone extra unless it has special rules that change this. (Like Alyce, or Johan or the desperate merc)

You would be allowed up to 1 totem to be connected to Ramos

The Choices are

Brass Arachnid, Mobile Toolkit, Essence of Power, Student of Conflict.

Each has its own advantages, and which one is best depends on how you play it.

Since the stratergy you are playing is decided before the crew is picked its hard to suggest a generic list to cover all eventualities. I find it even harder to do with a slow master like RAmos as if my mission requires me to do things in the opponents half, I will need to pick models that can get there.

Some popular models with RAmos include

Arachnids ands the swarms - Since he can build more its always worth owning some.

Corephye - fast mechanical monsters especially in duet form.

Alyce - Bonus cards and the chance to re-activate any construct.

Joss -Good melee construct

But there are many more options.

The most important purchase with ramos is an electrical creation. it is probably his best spell. I would suggest his box, alyce and the electrical creation to start you off, and work from there.

Phil

The Brass Arachnid as Ramos Totem is a must then as well, I assume. :hypnotize

The brass arachnid is better if you get an 11:tomes each turn to reactivate, and you are getting more books. And I've had games with him like that where everything I pull is a :tomes. But most games with him you would rather have the guaranteed :tome instead of a possible reactivate.

As for rusty Alice, I picked her up and still never played her. I find the cost is too high. She cost +2 SS with Ramos. If you enjoy the look its easier to squeeze her in, and she has some real benefits but I find the cost just a little high. I'd rather have an Steamborg executioner I admit I usually play 35 SS, and that is as low as you even think of adding her in, at 40+ I think shes more likely to fit.

Thanks for the feedback and advice, guys. Really gave me some food for thought for the weekend. I'll start out with the boxset for now and will read up on the different totems etc.

:)

Also looking forward to the alternative Ramos model. Wonder what that will be like.

I'm in a similar boat to the OP. Love the look of Ramos and the steam punky-ness, love the fluff of the union, only played twice and struggling but hoping i'll get the hang of him. I have picked up:-

Ramos Box

Hoffman Box

Electrical Creation

Joss

Johan

Hans

extra arachnids

brass arachnids

mobile toolkit

Now i've expanded out of the box set i feel a lot better about playing with this theme. Not much battlefield exp yet but on paper i can see things working a lot better. So far Ramos feels to me like a tough master to learn but worth the effort.

I'm in a similar boat to the OP. Love the look of Ramos and the steam punky-ness, love the fluff of the union, only played twice and struggling

Now i've expanded out of the box set i feel a lot better about playing with this theme. Not much battlefield exp yet but on paper i can see things working a lot better. So far Ramos feels to me like a tough master to learn but worth the effort.

Same as you loving all the fluff and steam punky-ness ^^ and even worse, I am yet a Malifaux virgin who hasn't even had her first game yet. I always like the models better than the rules. But there will soon come a time I will need to bury myself in the rules and some tutorials and cry out for help ;)

Definitely looking forward to this!

So for now it is the Ramos Box, Rusty Alyce (still determined to use her), the Mobile Toolkit and the Electrical Creation on the list. More to be added as soon as I have a firmer grasp of what I am doing exactly ;)

Same as you loving all the fluff and steam punky-ness ^^ and even worse, I am yet a Malifaux virgin who hasn't even had her first game yet. I always like the models better than the rules. But there will soon come a time I will need to bury myself in the rules and some tutorials and cry out for help ;)

Definitely looking forward to this!

So for now it is the Ramos Box, Rusty Alyce (still determined to use her), the Mobile Toolkit and the Electrical Creation on the list. More to be added as soon as I have a firmer grasp of what I am doing exactly ;)

Cool, let's stay in touch in terms of results. I'm not a world away from you and go to London a couple of times a month so we even get a game in one day!

Have played Ramos many time with and without Alyce. I enjoy playing him (even though I have not won a game with him yet). He is a fickle master though if you get good cards he can flood the field with his little mechanical minions but if the cards fail you it can be a quick defeat. I find that spiders, Alyce and Joss are a good mix, but I really think Ramos needs a gunsmith. The lack of shooting in his crew is a huge disadvantage at times.

I am still determined to keep pluggin away until I get him figured out. Nothing like a Steampunk Wizard to really get the creative juices flowing.

• 2 weeks later...

I've played with Ramos a lot, he was my first Malifaux master and still my favourite. You have great games where everything goes you way, and you have some games (like my last game) where you draw a total of one tome into your control hand throughout the entire game (a 7, thanks for asking), which really stymies how much he can contribute and you have to use him as a ranged master, which he's *alright* at, but not brilliant.

In terms of totem, for the games where you're getting lots of tomes, and the games where you're getting an average number of tomes, i'd go for a brass arachnid, particularly if you've got a steamborg, because a stoked steamborg is good for taking down pretty much anything on the board, and even the chance that you might have it can keep your opponant seriously on his guard. When you have games where you can't see a tome in your entire deck, you probably wish you had the toolkit.